• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Want someone to be a friend, but they are not interested

It's more like the opposite for me, though studying psychology extensively had something to do with it. Now I see through motives, and I'm not sure anyone likes it. Also I had someone explain human body language to me in great detail. Plus I naturally find patterns on my own, such as speech patterns, and really complex behavior patterns. Does a person say the word "so" a lot, what insecurity or subject causes them to use the word more often, etc. When does a person use the word "alright" as opposed to "ok" or "sure". What expression and tone of voice is the word said in. I wouldn't say anyone isn't capable, because I believe all psychological concepts can be explained clearly, and you would have the realization at least for a moment. Whether the concept remains in your working memory is another thing.
I meant understanding on their level, ability to see life through their eyes, which would require me to be in their "emotional shoes", which would be impossible because I don't see emotions the way they do. I see emotions as not being a part of me but flowing around and through me. You can understand people's motives, read their body language, know all behavioral patterns and predict their actions, but it's just going to be similar to computer processing. There's always something missing, some important piece. And, to be honest, with our processing and ability seeing beyond what's on the surface we may be able to let others see who they truly are, if they are willing to be honest with themselves. But the question remains: can we be honest with ourselves? I'm sorry if what I say is confusing, it's very hard to explain myself sometimes.

I meant understanding on their level, ability to see life through their eyes, which would require me to be in their "emotional shoes", which would be impossible because I don't see emotions the way they do. I see emotions as not being a part of me but flowing around and through me. You can understand people's motives, read their body language, know all behavioral patterns and predict their actions, but it's just going to be similar to computer processing. There's always something missing, some important piece. And, to be honest, with our processing and ability seeing beyond what's on the surface we may be able to let others see who they truly are, if they are willing to be honest with themselves. But the question remains: can we be honest with ourselves? I'm sorry if what I say is confusing, it's very hard to explain myself sometimes.
Maybe if you want it enough you will get it? You sound like you actually want to, but to me it sounds like a situation where you might be careful what you wish for. I'm not sure how neurotypical it is to put oneself in anothers emotional shoes. I haven't come to expect it from people, I have horrible emotions, and everyone walks around me like they are on cloud 9.

Maybe if you want it enough you will get it? You sound like you actually want to, but to me it sounds like a situation where you might be careful what you wish for. I'm not sure how neurotypical it is to put oneself in anothers emotional shoes. I haven't come to expect it from people, I have horrible emotions, and everyone walks around me like they are on cloud 9.
I've been thinking about it this morning. And maybe you right, maybe I can. It just seems like a lot of work and "reprogramming" is required. Do I want it? Well, not necessarily, but I think I should if I want to have healthier relationships, with less guessing and misunderstanding. And... maybe I actually do it already without even realizing but... I wish others would do it too...but just sometimes, because in the end, you can't and shouldn't be responsible for other people's actions, we should only be responsible for our own, for our own contribution to relationships. I think my solution would be honesty. I've had several relationships that ended up having exactly the same issue. People or get upset with me or distance themselves from me and I had no idea why. when I asked, sometimes I would hear, "don't you know!?" Or "don't you understand?" Maybe I could be more attentive and try to put myself in their place as much as I can, but if they are not willing to participate and understand themselves, there's nothing I can or... should I say... want to do about it.

I've been thinking about it this morning. And maybe you right, maybe I can. It just seems like a lot of work and "reprogramming" is required. Do I want it? Well, not necessarily, but I think I should if I want to have healthier relationships, with less guessing and misunderstanding. And... maybe I actually do it already without even realizing but... I wish others would do it too...but just sometimes, because in the end, you can't and shouldn't be responsible for other people's actions, we should only be responsible for our own, for our own contribution to relationships. I think my solution would be honesty. I've had several relationships that ended up having exactly the same issue. People or get upset with me or distance themselves from me and I had no idea why. when I asked, sometimes I would hear, "don't you know!?" Or "don't you understand?" Maybe I could be more attentive and try to put myself in their place as much as I can, but if they are not willing to participate and understand themselves, there's nothing I can or... should I say... want to do about it.
This has happened to me too. Suddenly someone I like is avoiding me and I don't know why. It used to take me a long time to see the pattern of events. One time it really upset me, someone I viewed as my best friend was no longer talking to me, but I believed that if it was humanly possible for me to put the pieces together I eventually would do it. In that instance, however, it took me several years. But I saw the guy again a few weeks ago and we talked. After 8 years we are back on speaking terms.

I do think that hurt in others should be respected, they can't easily translate pain into words to explain it to you. It says a lot about you that you are trying. Anyway, think of something that is very obvious to you, and think of someone stomping along as if they didn't know, and after they have caused a good amount of destruction, say mowing over your rose garden, think of how unpleasant it would be to explain to them what they did wrong, when there is a chance that after you carefully explain the situation to them they will say that they did nothing wrong, your roses got in the way of their mower.

I've never had a friend outside of a few people online. There have been plenty of people I would have liked to have been friends with but I'm never really sure what to say. Sometimes I do have conversations with people from time to time but those people always stop talking to me after a while, they never try to hang out with me outside of school/work. There were a few people I tagged along with when I was younger but they were not really what I'd call friends, they are all gone now anyway. I fear one day I'll be all on my own, no friends to talk to or anything. I guess it is time I got it thru my head that there is just something about me that most people do not like. I wish I was better at understanding and speaking to people, since I think many times I just tend to say the wrong thing.

I've never had a friend outside of a few people online. There have been plenty of people I would have liked to have been friends with but I'm never really sure what to say. Sometimes I do have conversations with people from time to time but those people always stop talking to me after a while, they never try to hang out with me outside of school/work. There were a few people I tagged along with when I was younger but they were not really what I'd call friends, they are all gone now anyway. I fear one day I'll be all on my own, no friends to talk to or anything. I guess it is time I got it thru my head that there is just something about me that most people do not like. I wish I was better at understanding and speaking to people, since I think many times I just tend to say the wrong thing.

Well, that's their loss then. I'm down to three friends now - one hasn't spoken to me in about 2 months. The story? She probably thinks that I'm still hotter than a hornet's nest because of what the HOA did to the decks - to my deck. She's the president of the HOA, you see. Our decks had these big "things" what I would call "balls" I suppose. The HOA decided to spend extra money that we don't have and have these balls cut off because the new decks that were being built didn't have them and they wanted a uniformed look. I liked my balls. There was this other person in the community that put a whole bunch of crap on his deck and made it into an eyesore, but the members of the HOA were too afraid of him to make him conform to the HOA rules. Me and my friend got into a little bit of a tiff and I said "You castrated my deck and stole my balls! But you let this neighbor of mine do anything he wants to his deck with no consequences." Thinking back about what I had said makes me laugh every time. :p I'm over the ball controversy now, but me and my friend still haven't spoken to each other. It looks like I'm going to have to make the first move again, as we have gotten into little tiffs before and I have always had to be the first to say something. It's hard maintaining friendships, but we've been friends for over 10 yrs so I think it's worth some effort. I'm very loyal to my friends. :)

In the same boat, can make friends but they just stop talking to me and I never figure out why. I rarely get invited out to places and when I do the inviting they cancel. Want to give up, but I am so lonely.

I have issues because my facial expression is blank and I never smile. I overhead others in the office talk about me the other day and they called me "stone face". It really upset me because it was the wife of the CEO of my company. The only way I can change my lack of swagger is medication and when I take medication the doctors say my heart rate is so high I could have a heart attack at any time

I have issues because my facial expression is blank and I never smile. I overhead others in the office talk about me the other day and they called me "stone face". It really upset me because it was the wife of the CEO of my company. The only way I can change my lack of swagger is medication and when I take medication the doctors say my heart rate is so high I could have a heart attack at any time
That was so was not right of the CEO wife. There should be a point when a person becomes an adult they should have matured and know better. However, there too many adults haven't matured and/or not well educated.

This thread is very relevant to me right now. I've been trying to make friends with someone and I've got to that stage I always get to where I remember that I've tried so many times in the past to make friends with many people and failed so many times, I can't believe I let myself believe it would somehow be different this time around. It's like stumbling in a race and watching everyone else sprint off over the horizon. At last you stop struggling to catch up and just accept that you cannot run this race.

The pain is seeing how other people relate to each other and how much fun they appear to be having, how relaxed and happy they are, and knowing that I can never have that in the same way. Other people seem so full of life with a spontaneity that just bursts forth, but for me it just gets stuck inside. I may be happy on the inside but I can't seem to share that feeling with anyone else. The best analogy I can think of is like when your favourite song comes on but you're stuck rooted to the ground, just watching everyone else dance to it.

The closest I seem to get to happiness is via a consolation of accepting my lot and thereby temporarily freeing myself of anxiety. But the natural desire for companionship cannot be completely denied, so then I'm back into the turbulence of both wanting and not wanting to connect with other people, of wanting to run the race alongside them while knowing it to be futile.

On my wall I have a picture of Sisyphus carrying a boulder up the mountain; in the Greek myth he is condemned to spend eternity doing this only to see the boulder roll down the other side every time. Having Aspergers is similar. I just have to believe it's worth the effort even when all the evidence suggests otherwise.

This thread is very relevant to me right now. I've been trying to make friends with someone and I've got to that stage I always get to where I remember that I've tried so many times in the past to make friends with many people and failed so many times, I can't believe I let myself believe it would somehow be different this time around. It's like stumbling in a race and watching everyone else sprint off over the horizon. At last you stop struggling to catch up and just accept that you cannot run this race.

The pain is seeing how other people relate to each other and how much fun they appear to be having, how relaxed and happy they are, and knowing that I can never have that in the same way. Other people seem so full of life with a spontaneity that just bursts forth, but for me it just gets stuck inside. I may be happy on the inside but I can't seem to share that feeling with anyone else. The best analogy I can think of is like when your favourite song comes on but you're stuck rooted to the ground, just watching everyone else dance to it.

The closest I seem to get to happiness is via a consolation of accepting my lot and thereby temporarily freeing myself of anxiety. But the natural desire for companionship cannot be completely denied, so then I'm back into the turbulence of both wanting and not wanting to connect with other people, of wanting to run the race alongside them while knowing it to be futile.

This is exactly how I feel right now, especially the middle paragraph, but really, all of it. And it's not just happiness inside that can't be shared. It's sadness, concern, despair, fear, anticipation...it's like being completely isolated on an emotional level. Every emotion I feel, I must face alone. There is no connection with outside emotional resources.

Yes, the anxiety decreases when I'm focused on "accepting"...focused on developing a sense of inner solitude. But I see how much it hurts the people around me when I withdraw into that solitude. So then I try to reach out to them in ways I think they want...but it feels so empty on the inside to do that. So then I feel like a fraud and a failure.

So then, back to acceptance...trying to accept that this is who I am. And that as I become more accepting of myself, perhaps my efforts to reach out will feel more genuine to other people. But then it's always giving, never receiving. If I'm always trying to give out what people need, but nothing comes back in...how am I supposed to survive like that?

For those few people who are still around me: What is it that I actually need from other people, if I can't experience emotional connection with them?

For those people I make the effort to try to build a new relationship: What am I doing wrong? What is it about me that keeps driving people off? It seems I come across too intensely, once I do open up. So I try to protect people from the real me. But then the relationship is empty, and often turns into nothing.

The Prime Directive is...don't hurt other people. How can I achieve that, and still be my awkward, intense, awful self?

Wanting a friend/relationship is different (subjectively speaking) than needing a friend. It seems to me that NT's somehow communicate to each other that there is a need which they share and then invest in to their mutual benefit.
I do not know how this works and chronically miss clues and cues.

DogwoodTree - as you said, coming up with what others need feels hollow, like a fraud and a failure. I have to analyze, compare, and then try (rather than it occurring naturally and intuitatively) to do and say what people need from me. Even then I get it wrong a lot of the time.

Sometimes due to anxiety and after a great deal of effort in this regard I get exhausted and must shut down. This has caused large problems because it apparently looks like I am angry or resentful at people. I simply (have to) need to recharge alone, whereas others need to recharge not-alone.

I have not met any known Aspies in real life, so I don't know if that would be a richer vein to draw friendship from. I suspect it wouldn't make much difference. There would be the same standoffishness, just for different reasons.

My best and longest friendships have all been through my interests in biking, skiing and running. The intensity of the activities seem to temper the intensity of my personality. Besides, we got together to train and race, maybe have a cookout, or go out for beers, then retire to neutral ground. Never very close and personal.

Outside of shared interests, I just can't see how I could form a friendship. I would like to have some one to talk to like the forum discussions here, but that is unrealistic.

I too wonder how normal people develop close, relaxed, caring and fun relationships. As Epath posted, there seems to be a wall or barrier that I can't even see let alone work out how to get around or through it. I have worked at my current job for 13 years, other people go out together for lunch, have coffee, I've never been asked to join anyone, so I've just left that behind, I prefer to spend my breaks on my own now anyways.

Well, this has been uplifting, as I sit by myself at home, finished my beer, so time for bed.

Good night to you all, peace.

Last edited:
Well, all that has been said is me totally. I finally give up on trying to make and keep friends. It is like the definition of insanity trying to do the same thing over and over and getting another result. I keep trying and trying to talk to people but they all try to avoid me like the plague. I only see people at work and at my child's activities. I am autistic so I do not try to go out and about all the time to social events. I feel comfortable in home or one on one at dinner out. So now it is the internet online. If I have this I am good now before 4 days ago I had nothing at all now I have this for communicating with others

I cannot believe how many people say to me "calm down" "take a deep breath" this is only when someone is trying fast to train me for something new or I am brought into HR or I am late meeting a few for dinner. I will be somewhat a little hyper. I absolutely hate being told to "relax" "calm down"

For some reason my biggest issue with communicating is someone will talk to me and say quite a bit. They do not like how I respond. I will think for quite a bit to process what they just said and when I am processing I am thinking in my head with a stone face what they just said. I do not respond fast and I am not smiling when thinking. They never get me processing their information

For some reason my biggest issue with communicating is someone will talk to me and say quite a bit. They do not like how I respond. I will think for quite a bit to process what they just said and when I am processing I am thinking in my head with a stone face what they just said. I do not respond fast and I am not smiling when thinking. They never get me processing their information
I know it does takes me time to process information. I know this is caused because of my learning disability.

never had this problem. i always choose my friends. but since they all lie and make me a fool. i wont even bother. only some made it through. some didn't.

they aren't someone you can rely on.
just remember that.
some people are just plain pricks.

or they hate how you are.

we cannot friend every single person we all meet.

friends back stabbed. and you know what, they can kiss my behind. they arent a friend when they have others calling you a loser or saying lowlife. so there. make your friends run. they wont miss you. make a motorcycle full of lead and make your friends fear that you arent messing around. play their stupid game. they either stand it or leave.

New Threads

Top Bottom