• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Waiting for diagnosis

Hi there

I am waiting(another 6.5 weeks) for my three hour session. I have done plenty of research, tests etc.
A lot of the symptoms match, for ADHD too. I've read a lot of experiences They are cousins of sorts. I don't have a special interest that I know everything about. Instead I change hobbies about once a year. Get to know the science behind it and move on. I really worry that I am pushing myself to get an answer for why I've felt like an alien/impostor my whole life. I'm just wondering if anyone else is waiting or remember the time when they were waiting? I really don't know what I would do if I didn't at least get an answer.
I've never wanted a label. I've always insisted on being different, even to my own detriment.
This label simply fits me and if the label fits...
Am I overthinking this? I hate attention and know I wouldn't do for this reason.
I'm a fighter and will never give up. Go down guns blazing. I do however need to know who I'm fighting. I've made peace with who I am. There are areas yet unexplored though.

Thoughts?

Thanks. I've done Aq, EQ and SQ tests online. Do you mean ones like memory tests and ones to do with Executive function?
Card sorting and such?

I found the answer on Wikipedia. Thanks. That was helpful. I think I'll go for the IQ test. Mensa in town for the day next month. £25 for the test

Hi there

I am waiting(another 6.5 weeks) for my three hour session. I have done plenty of research, tests etc.
A lot of the symptoms match, for ADHD too. I've read a lot of experiences They are cousins of sorts. I don't have a special interest that I know everything about. Instead I change hobbies about once a year. Get to know the science behind it and move on. I really worry that I am pushing myself to get an answer for why I've felt like an alien/impostor my whole life. I'm just wondering if anyone else is waiting or remember the time when they were waiting? I really don't know what I would do if I didn't at least get an answer.
I've never wanted a label. I've always insisted on being different, even to my own detriment.
Am I overthinking this? I hate attention and know I wouldn't do for this reason.
I'm a fighter and will never give up. Go down guns blazing. I do however need to know who I'm fighting. I've made peace with who I am. There are areas yet unexplored though.

Thoughts?

I was diagnosed with asd when i was 12.
But because asd
Hi there

Thoughts?

is

I'm waiting for a diagnosis too, maybe I'll get it in about four weeks time. I know there's pros and cons to it but I feel it will make my life a bit more easier and an explanation as to why I am the way I am. I think a lot of the time people think of me as lazy, to get it recognised as autism would mean a lot because in reality there's a lot of anxiety which stops me from doing activities for daily living and getting a job is equally as challenging.

For a while I didn't really ever think of myself as being able to be pathologised, it's only really been in the recent year has that thought entered my mind, now it's all I think about because I'm more aware of my own situation and how others must think of me. But it's not about just trying to save face for me, it's about coming to terms and accepting the challenges I face rather than closing my bedroom door, playing computer games and forgetting about the outside world and finally moving on with my life.

Hi there

Thoughts?
Never give up [emoji5]

Hi and welcome
I don't know a lot of the technical aspects of things outside of autism, but have thought that there do seem to be 'cousins' as you put it. People who share similar mindsets to Aspies but are not Aspie themselves. Within HFA the variance so great they seem to blend in just as well often, even though they aren't Aspies. There are also others who aren't sure if they are Aspie or not. Some things, like OCD sound very similar when you look at symptoms/tendencies.

For the sake of treatments/meds etc, if those are necessary, trying to pinpoint it is good. Though often its a matter of treating co-morbids rather then core issues. There is no med for autism for instance. And co-morbids are shared by many conditions.

So for me non-standard thinkers can all be lumped together in one flock so-to-speak.

New Threads

Top Bottom