• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Usefulness of an ASD diagnosis

Old Guy

Hi All,
I am 67 and self-diagnosed as an Aspie. My question is whether or not it is worthwhile to get an actual diagnosis? My wife and myself both score me very high on every ASD test I have taken. I am retired, so don't need career help. My family and I have learned long ago to get along with each other, more or less. So have my wife and I - we have been married 38 years. If I were much younger I would get a diagnosis, but now I am not sure it is worth the effort or cost.
Thanks for your ideas - David

What I've read is that generally a diagnosis would only be given if the person had some sort of trouble in their life, be it employment issues, making and keeping friendships, family problems or forming a romantic relationship, dealing with comorbid mental health issues like psychosis or depression, anxiety. If you're not really dealing with any of these things then you're probably not needing a formal diagnosis. A percentage of doctors might still give you the diagnosis if you really want it but it would generally be a waste of both your's and the doctor's resources.

Hi All,
I am 67 and self-diagnosed as an Aspie. My question is whether or not it is worthwhile to get an actual diagnosis? My wife and myself both score me very high on every ASD test I have taken. I am retired, so don't need career help. My family and I have learned long ago to get along with each other, more or less. So have my wife and I - we have been married 38 years. If I were much younger I would get a diagnosis, but now I am not sure it is worth the effort or cost.
Thanks for your ideas - David

I was not diagnosed until I was 62, almost 9 years ago. Like you, I thought I had AS. I have know all of my life that I was different from everybody around me, I just did not know how or why. I just wanted to know for sure, so I got the diagnosis. It was not cheap, but now I know. However, I was diagnosed with the DSM IV. Now days they use the DSM V and it is harder to get a diagnosis using that criteria. I guess it just depends on how bad you want to know for sure.

I got my diagnosis when I was 29, and it was a huge relief to me. I got to understand why I don't work the way other people do and why I sometimes have trouble with seemingly mundane things.
However, as Southern Discomfort said, I got this diagnosis after a serious depression and being generally stuck on all aspects of life. So while it was great to finally get an explanation, the most important part of my diagnosis was getting professional help with the aspects of ASD that are troubling me.
I got 15 weeks of therapy to delve into what ASD is and what it means to me, as well as coping strategies. This was all very helpful to me, but if you're not currently experiencing that many problems, it might not be that necessary.

I'd say go for professional diagnosis either if you want "official" validation, or if you need help coping with the effects of your ASD.

The perks of a diagnosis is that it generally gives you an in-depth analysis about how your mind works. It provide insight into strengths and weaknesses, things you may not be as aware of. We learn more about ourselves each day despite age. It can be useful. Things you might not have known before.

I look forward to being able to find out what they think..though I'm quite sure, it'd mean so much to know for certain and get help

New Threads

Top Bottom