• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unusually bothered by people's differences

Granta_Omega

I'm not actually asking for a debate or anything here, but has anyone ever dealt with an overwhelming frustration over people's flaws or uninformed opinions on whatever topic of interest that is important to you?

I wish I could say I could get to the point where people can feel differently on matters such as religion, politics, styles of parenting, etc, without it bothering me, but it does. It's gotten to the point where I have either been avoided by people, to even asked to leave family gatherings due to the fact that I insult people over opinions I consider stupid, ignorant, illogical, or uninformed.

When I was little, anger over people's flaws and stupidity would resort to beating the crap out of other kids, and then when I was a teenager to early adult it resorted to name calling, vulgar insults, threats, etc. That's how bad it is.

Mostly, I won't say or do anything that can get me in trouble with the law or cause me to lose my job or get suspended from college, but I'll just end up very depressed and angry about it and take it out on other people, and sometimes contemplate long term suicide plans for when things go too far.

I'm very argumentative, I tirelessly try to make my case to people, and often will resort to insults and sometimes even threats that I'll beat the crap out of them if they ever come near me with their nonsense. I've honestly got to the point where I'm pretty much about to give up and just live my life for as long as I can until it gets to painful because thus far nobody has given me advice on how I can change other than the typical "ignore it," or, "don't let it bother you."

I am in real distress every time I hear someone make a grammar or pronunciation error. I often gasp before I can control myself. I can't abide mistakes or simple sloppiness in writing. I often underline poor examples of writing, spelling, grammar, etc. in any book I own. It is a real obsession for me and I know most people don't particularly care to be grammar policemen, but I really can't comprehend why so many people don't care if they make mistakes. It is like wearing stripes and polka dots or other outlandish clothing. It is as nasty to me as going out in public unwashed and smelly! I went to a large K-8 school in a very poor neighborhood in which almost everyone had an ethnic name. There were very few wasps in the neighborhood. Classes were large in the late 40s and 50s and many teachers were still around who had never been required to earn a BS. My father's, and his parents' English was sloppy. My mother's father was a real Swamp Yankee and my grandmother came to this country from Europe (?Poland or Germany?) and had a decided accent and made some mistakes in her English. So---how did I learn to speak well? My mother was very dedicated to improving herself and became a teacher. I recall my elementary school teachers drilling proper English. Why did I embrace all the education that was made available to me while so many others didn't? For me, speaking poorly is no different from singing off key!

I understand your frustration, as I have been somewhat the same way in my past although not as strongly as you describe. I came to understand something that helped me to have peace, and not fret over these things.
Let me use for an example Americas two ruling political parties, Republican and Democrat. People who consider themselves either, believe that their party has it right and the other is wrong. Each wonders, "How Can They Be So Stupid As To Not See The Truth?" The thing that will prevent them from ever agreeing is that they both have the truth. People see truth as what they believe in, and politics and religion are not based on facts, but on beliefs. If we argue over what the temperature is, one of us can support our words with proof. If we argue over religion, neither of us can prove our opinion to be correct. Yet if the temperature argument results in one of us pulling out a thermometer, the other person may still argue that it is inaccurate. Some people will always believe what they want regardless of the facts.
I saw a great bumper sticker that read, "Don't Believe Everything You Think". Everyone of us believes that what we think is the truth, or we would not be thinking it.
If you accept that many people will live out their lives in ignorance, and that you do not have to change their opinions, your life will be much more peaceful. To know that you have the truth, is as much as you need to be the best you can. It is OK to disagree with others, but not to try to change them. That is where frustration comes in.
I hope this is of some help.

I'm not actually asking for a debate or anything here, but has anyone ever dealt with an overwhelming frustration over people's flaws or uninformed opinions on whatever topic of interest that is important to you?

I wish I could say I could get to the point where people can feel differently on matters such as religion, politics, styles of parenting, etc, without it bothering me, but it does. It's gotten to the point where I have either been avoided by people, to even asked to leave family gatherings due to the fact that I insult people over opinions I consider stupid, ignorant, illogical, or uninformed.

When I was little, anger over people's flaws and stupidity would resort to beating the crap out of other kids, and then when I was a teenager to early adult it resorted to name calling, vulgar insults, threats, etc. That's how bad it is.

Mostly, I won't say or do anything that can get me in trouble with the law or cause me to lose my job or get suspended from college, but I'll just end up very depressed and angry about it and take it out on other people, and sometimes contemplate long term suicide plans for when things go too far.

I'm very argumentative, I tirelessly try to make my case to people, and often will resort to insults and sometimes even threats that I'll beat the crap out of them if they ever come near me with their nonsense. I've honestly got to the point where I'm pretty much about to give up and just live my life for as long as I can until it gets to painful because thus far nobody has given me advice on how I can change other than the typical "ignore it," or, "don't let it bother you."

Well, there is a certain irony in your behavior... to feel violent towards others for their flaws is a flaw of your own, would you like somebody bigger than you to be violent towards you for your flaws? I doubt it.
I do understand that most people are seemingly painful and mentally exhausting to be around but it won't change them if you punch them will it?
I can get very frustrated with the majority of people I can think of, but the fact is there isn't a single human that is not flawed, and we can't expect anyone to act or be like we would like them to be. The need to make people listen to you probably comes from people not listening to you, and those people who have not listened are not worth the energy and have made you feel bad when you don't need to.
I can get really angry if I think about certain people and I have had very good reason to, but what difference does it make? none.
Angry thoughts can become addictive too, like anything else, and they are very unhealthy.. best to redirect that energy into something else like exercise or self progression.
How you perceive others has more to do with yourself than it does them... we are all mirrors to each other and this is sometimes the hardest thing to accept.
I learned that the best way to get a point across is to never say anything, but rather to just be silent or in agreement with everything until the truth surfaces by itself, which undoubtedly it does... to win an argument you must be completely sure of the truth and completely sure you are not talking to a complete idiot.... both are a gamble.

Last edited:
Well, I'm of course not going to start arguing about religion on here as that didn't go over too well in the past, but generally religious differences bother me, and I have been on both teams before. I consider my prior religious beliefs as ignorant and stupid, thus I see everyone else as ignorant and stupid for believing in how I used to believe.

Certain imperfections of others do bother me as well. I also get rather irritated at over-protective people. Such as parents who never let their kids out of their sight. I don't get angry at them for wanting to protect their children, but because of believing in false information such as there are more child abductions now than their used to be, which no statistics have been able to verify. I've actually searched the internet for a long time to try and find child abduction numbers year by year in the United States, but I can't find anything, and they can't either when I ask them, so I don't know what their evidence is for believing in such. Mostly it is because I'm planning on being a teacher, and I care a lot for the well being of children, and parents smothering them by keeping them from becoming independent, forcing them to abide by their religious practices, etc. is something I see as abusive.

The guideline people suggest is to respect people's different opinions and be nice, but I can't do it.

Well, I'm of course not going to start arguing about religion on here as that didn't go over too well in the past, but generally religious differences bother me, and I have been on both teams before. I consider my prior religious beliefs as ignorant and stupid, thus I see everyone else as ignorant and stupid for believing in how I used to believe.

Certain imperfections of others do bother me as well. I also get rather irritated at over-protective people. Such as parents who never let their kids out of their sight. I don't get angry at them for wanting to protect their children, but because of believing in false information such as there are more child abductions now than their used to be, which no statistics have been able to verify. I've actually searched the internet for a long time to try and find child abduction numbers year by year in the United States, but I can't find anything, and they can't either when I ask them, so I don't know what their evidence is for believing in such. Mostly it is because I'm planning on being a teacher, and I care a lot for the well being of children, and parents smothering them by keeping them from becoming independent, forcing them to abide by their religious practices, etc. is something I see as abusive.

The guideline people suggest is to respect people's different opinions and be nice, but I can't do it.
Most of the people here have a very logical way of thinking. This is how we come to believe what we believe. As we know, science and religion often disagree. Because of the way I think, believe the science. It just make more sense to me. However, I would not ever condemn someone because of their religious beliefs. They are not ignorant and stupid, they just believe in something that they need to believe in. I would like to commend you for wanting to be an educator. I see this as being one of the most honorable and needed professions you could choose. I do not like over-protective parents ether, but there is not much you can do about it. It really is their call. They know their kids better than anyone.

I know you may laugh when I say this, but I'm overprotective of Waldo (my cat). I was conditioned to be this way because I was brought up by overprotective parents and I'm sure if I had kids, I'd be overprotective over them as well. I live in a condoplex and the other condocats get to wander outside and I'm sure Waldo would like to too. However, some have wandered off and not come home, some have come home all bloodied after being in cat fights and one (Kitty Boy) was found dead at the age of 8. There's a main street right outside the condoplex that has seen it's fair share of squirrel deaths and I don't want that to happen to Waldo. It's a cold world out there and if Waldo accidentally got outside he wouldn't know how to survive since he's used to being fed Fancy Feast about every 3 hrs around the clock, having classical music played, every toy that any cat could possibly want, a nice warm bed to curl up in every night and a Mummy who gives him many huggies and smoochies. I may be overprotective of Waldo, but it's only because he matters so much to me and I don't want anything bad happening to him. I hope he blesses me with many more years of his presence.

I've been thinking a lot about your post and I'm saying this out of kindness - you really need to find out why you are so angry because it is going to eat you up inside. There's millions of people out there and no way to change everybody's way of thinking to match your own. You're just going to end up making yourself sick or one day you're going to really lose it and something will happen that you cannot take back. I used to really get upset when I was driving and finally realized all that was going to do is raise my blood pressure or get me in a really bad accident. Now I let the aggressive drivers go past me and try not to let it bother me as much - I make it to my destination and my blood pressure is great! Anyway, in all seriousness, maybe anger management classes might help. I have heard about them, but don't know much about the subject. Maybe channeling your anger into other things such as exercise, hobbies, meditation, etc. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Last edited:
I'm going to thread really carefully in this thread, but it's been on my mind when I read it earlier on my way home.

While I don't agree with many peoples views and have my own views which I clearly prefer (and might have a warped sense of reality) I'm well aware that I"m not an authority and it is of little to no use to get angry over other peoples ideals, lifestyles, preferences and choices.

Can I question them? Sure I can, but I should try to do it as tactful and as neutral as possible. Reading the opening post here, it already seems that the approach starts of from a point of view filled with anger and frustration. And that essentially is the problem. It's no problem to question people and wonder why they do what they do. It is if you get angry, frustrated and even depressed over it.As Nurseangela said; it will eat you up.

Besides; who made you, Granta_omega, the omnipotent being that decides what's right and wrong? Just because it feels wrong to you, doesn't make it wrong. Perhaps learning to put things in perspective and accept people for who they are is in order. No one is telling you to live with these people on a daily basis; you can ignore and avoid these people as much as you want, but it just feels you're out for an argument whenever there is one to be had, just for the heck of it.

I do agree with something Easter pointed out; "Well, there is a certain irony in your behavior... to feel violent towards others for their flaws is a flaw of your own, would you like somebody bigger than you to be violent towards you for your flaws? I doubt it."

What if someone else would argue better or perhaps muscle you down over it? I can imagine it becoming a screaming match and someone will leave with "YES.. BUT IT'S JUST STUPID AND I"M DONE ARGUING!". And off someone goes with their proverbial tail between their legs. This might very well how you come across towards other people. Some people don't even want to be around you because they just feel annoyed that you argue with them.

At some point people will avoid you, not because you're a horrible person overall, but because to them you're annoying and way too argumentative. And that will eventually make you a sad, lonely old man. And before you say "well, fine... I'm not much of a people person anyway"... that's totally fine, but why would you even start arguing with people then? Don't seek out people either. Find a solitary hobby, stay indoors or away from people and have fun with that. As much as there's no rule that you can't question people, it doesn't make it (a) right that you can and should, perhaps even violently, argue with each and every one. Sometimes keeping your mouth shut is the smart thing to do.

The most simple advice is one that has been given out, but you already state this doesn't work for you. Perhaps a bit more "escapism" is in order for you. I've got enough hobbies and activities on my hands I don't have time to argue with others that much. Yes, I'll end up on this forum and sometimes I argue (or write a lengthy post like this one) but that's all the interaction I have on a day. If my mind has time to get bothered by each and every thing indirectly affecting me.. keyword INDIRECTLY, I clearly have too much time on my hands or the tasks I need to do at work/college don't require enough effort.

It's good that you address this issue on a forum and ask for advice rather than keep it inside until it's too late. The question is, how much are you willing to change about it until the proverbial bomb explodes and you actually get in serious trouble with the law? Since if you keep up this behavior, I actually expect this will happen

Have you considered anger management courses? I'm not saying those are a surefire way to address it, but it's worth a shot, since I notice you have quite some anger issues reading posts across the forum.

Lastly; "The guideline people suggest is to respect people's different opinions and be nice, but I can't do it."

I think we, on AC are doing a great job in trying to respect each other. Yes, there have been a few topics that got out of control. But compared to other forums I've been on, this place is probably the friendliest and tolerant I've been on. Thus far we all try to get along with each other, and that is pretty much all we ask for. If people can't or wont try really hard to do that... or just wisely shut their mouth to avoid serious altercations (I can't recall the times that I both as a mod and a forum regular, have chosen to ignore certain threads because I disagree with them and I know it'll get on my nerves if I actively mix in). If that's too much to ask and someone keeps causing problems I guess the most valid advice is GTFO (and I'll let people google that acronym themselves). Look; the mileage may vary on what's considered "being nice" and even on how much and how to respect someones opinion. But flat out stating "I can't do it" does make it look like potential conflict in the future. And I think it's fair for AC as a forum (as well as me, and others of the AC staff) to be aware of rising conflict if you are prone to get dragged into arguments. We don't want people to feel offended, nor do we want people to leave. We don't want to ban (either permaban or threadban) someone either.

I hope this all puts it a bit in perspective.

I also hope you get these issues resolved in the future though.

Yes (I posted about it here: How to Stop Caring | AspiesCentral.com but I don't have the problem with violence and threats, and I mostly only get really involved when it involves ideological differences or questions of morality or poor reasoning skills.

I wish I could say I could get to the point where people can feel differently on matters such as religion, politics, styles of parenting, etc, without it bothering me, but it does.
As long as you don't beat/threaten people, I don't think there is anything wrong with this (although the personal psychological implications must be managed). I say: if you think something is right, and it's something really important, stick with your position, keep promoting it. It's inconsistent and useless to hold to an ideology which effects others and simultaneously not care whether or not other people do so as well.

I detect something ominous swimming underneath the "let everyone have their opinion" advice people give about this, a dangerous moral relativism that may suit those of us who are comfortable in life, but hides the suffering of those who are more affected (such as the children on whose behalf you challenge overprotective parenting, although I would typically stick to more harmful situations). Here in the U.S., the belief that "everyone has a right to her opinion" (which, in practice, is more like "it's rude to question or challenge anyone about anything; all opinions are sacred and equally valid") has apparently caused people to be shocked and insulted that anyone would even expect verification of their opinions (without even disagreeing); it's anti-intellectualism in the making.

In short, keep challenging, but without the violence, threats, and insults.

I'll just end up very depressed and angry about it and take it out on other people, and sometimes contemplate long term suicide plans for when things go too far.
These negative emotions are the biggest problem for me, and I haven't found a good way to prevent or dispel them (aside from avoiding these sorts of discussions altogether). After a lot of thinking about this problem, and the ideological differences and intellectual differences that lead to it, I've decided (aided by anti-civilizationist theory, a major organizing principle for my worldview) that the core issue is that too many people have too much power. Many disputes, especially the political ones, are at base composed of different views on the deployment of power that people should not have in the first place.

With this view, I am able to console myself to some extent with the knowledge that there is at least some way (far in the future though it may be) to get around the differences in opinion: the demise of civilization as we know it, or at least many of its power structures, (which is by no means a pipe dream, thanks to constant, escalating ecological destruction), would render all pertinent discussions moot. The horrifyingly poor logic with which people attempt to defend animal exploitation, for example, would no longer be such an issue once the agricultural industry's ecological abuses and mass poisoning via growth hormones and antibiotics begins to weaken the industry to the point that people can't easily access the animal products.

If you find yourself in painful discussions on less crucial issues (I leave it to you to decide which fall under this label), I would advise avoidance. Be alone more if necessary. Fill up your life with activities so that you are too busy to bother. I cannot vouch for it, but you could also try to engage more intellectual types, who are less likely to be threatened by ideological challenge. Set an overriding goal for yourself, and allow it to drive these interactions so that you don't get side-tracked by angry impulses. For example, if your goal is to convince, know that threats won't accomplish it and smother the instinct in deference to your goal, focusing on productive alternatives instead of your feelings.

The anger management aspect is your responsibility, and yours alone, however. Maybe turn the spotlight around so that your distaste for personal flaws can be a tool to fix yourself. I've also found some usefulness in studying theories of personality (MBTI, specifically). You could learn some techniques for persuasion, or, as in my case, some tips about the kind of cognitive styles with which it would be fruitless to engage.

Last edited:
Most of the people here have a very logical way of thinking. This is how we come to believe what we believe. As we know, science and religion often disagree. Because of the way I think, believe the science. It just make more sense to me. However, I would not ever condemn someone because of their religious beliefs. They are not ignorant and stupid, they just believe in something that they need to believe in. I would like to commend you for wanting to be an educator. I see this as being one of the most honorable and needed professions you could choose. I do not like over-protective parents ether, but there is not much you can do about it. It really is their call. They know their kids better than anyone.

I don't necessarily condemn people for their religious beliefs. I usually just mock and make satires about their beliefs when I'm around them. However, differences of religious beliefs is generally not what gets me all that angry, even though it sometimes does. Usually it is the ones arguing against marriage equality, or wanting schools to encourage kids to reject secular science and accept The Bible as the scientific origins of our universe. Those kinds of people I honestly wouldn't mind if we had a secular dictator to drive them all out of the country into solitude.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with recognizing when someone has said something "stupid, ignorant, illogical, or uninformed." Whether or not you decide to address it is another matter; but if you do address, knowing how to in a way that does not belittle the person is of paramount importance. After all, by offering a rebuttal, you aim to enlighten and/or educate them, right? But if you do so in a way that causes them to react defensively, you take yourself further from that goal. It doesn't matter how right you are and how wrong they are. They will just think of you as a jerk.

I'm having a difficult time with this issue myself at the moment. Due to my being homeless, I am having to live in very close quarters with a large group of women, many of whom are loud, obnoxious, vulgar, and immature. They act as if they were raised among wild animals. And along with all my sensory sensitivities, I have moral and cultural sensitivities as well. Today, I feel on the verge of telling these women exactly what I think of them. It might give me some satisfaction in the short-term, but long-term I would only further alienate myself. So, I'm going to vent to my son instead!

I understand your frustration, as I have been somewhat the same way in my past although not as strongly as you describe. I came to understand something that helped me to have peace, and not fret over these things.
Let me use for an example Americas two ruling political parties, Republican and Democrat. People who consider themselves either, believe that their party has it right and the other is wrong. Each wonders, "How Can They Be So Stupid As To Not See The Truth?" The thing that will prevent them from ever agreeing is that they both have the truth. People see truth as what they believe in, and politics and religion are not based on facts, but on beliefs. If we argue over what the temperature is, one of us can support our words with proof. If we argue over religion, neither of us can prove our opinion to be correct. Yet if the temperature argument results in one of us pulling out a thermometer, the other person may still argue that it is inaccurate. Some people will always believe what they want regardless of the facts.
I saw a great bumper sticker that read, "Don't Believe Everything You Think". Everyone of us believes that what we think is the truth, or we would not be thinking it.
If you accept that many people will live out their lives in ignorance, and that you do not have to change their opinions, your life will be much more peaceful. To know that you have the truth, is as much as you need to be the best you can. It is OK to disagree with others, but not to try to change them. That is where frustration comes in.
I hope this is of some help.
Ignorance and complacency are not substitutes for peace. Peace is found in the truth. If an entire town is ignorant of the fact that their water is highly toxic, according to your philosophy, no one should even attempt to inform them (i.e., dispel their ignorance) because we ought to "accept that many people will live out their lives in ignorance." All human beings seek to know--and what they seek to know is the truth: a basic Aristotelian concept. Ignorance should never be accepted.

Due to my being homeless, I am having to live in very close quarters with a large group of women, many of whom are loud, obnoxious, vulgar, and immature. They act as if they were raised among wild animals. And along with all my sensory sensitivities, I have moral and cultural sensitivities as well.

This is why I refuse to stay in any sort of shelter. There are always some characters in shelters. Perhaps you'd care to try hiding out in the woods, like I'm doing.

This is why I refuse to stay in any sort of shelter. There are always some characters in shelters. Perhaps you'd care to try hiding out in the woods, like I'm doing.
Yes, "characters" is perhaps the kindest word to describe them. I have left this shelter before because of the stress of being around so many loud people. A doorway isn't the worst place in the world to sleep. I would love to live in a small cabin in the mountains or forest, but I'm afraid my survival skills are not up to par!

Ignorance and complacency are not substitutes for peace. Peace is found in the truth. If an entire town is ignorant of the fact that their water is highly toxic, according to your philosophy, no one should even attempt to inform them (i.e., dispel their ignorance) because we ought to "accept that many people will live out their lives in ignorance." All human beings seek to know--and what they seek to know is the truth: a basic Aristotelian concept. Ignorance should never be accepted.
You obviously misinterpreted my meaning.

I know what you mean. I have the same issue, only I've never gotten physical over it. But still, flaws in logic annoy the living crap out of me. Even though I'm well aware my own logic isn't always perfect, either. Ok, maybe it's not so much the flaws themselves, as much as it is obvious lacks in effort to think critically that really bugs me. Whatever.

My advice: Yeah, the whole "just ignore it" "don't let it bother you" thing never really worked out for me either. So I simply try to avoid it, or at least, avoid people that aren't open to debate or disagreement (i.e. folks that won't tolerate me going umm I think you're wrong about that...). That and learn a few keywords/phrases to help tone things down so you don't sound like a pompous creep. Suggest, recommend, don't preach, don't demand. Hope that makes sense...

And also, it helps to have an attitude of just wanting to help people help themselves rather than the attitude of having to correct them on their erroneous ways. Ok, that might not exactly get the point across that I'm trying to make here... but it's almost 12 a.m.

Just learn to be gentle, and avoid the a-holes, and you'll be ok.

You realize that ppl who routinely use force and threats to make others believe in their own ideological beliefs are essentially terrorists correct? Your choices are dangerous and what you are letting bubble inside you is going to boil over as serious harm to yourself or others. I think it is very important that you figure out a way to outlet this frustration in a safe manner.

I am sorry that you do not understand what my point was. I was not advocating accepting others ignorance at the cost allowing everyone in town to die of drinking poisoned water. My point was that there is a difference between fact and opinion, and a difference between when others opinions affect you, and when they don't. And to know the difference, and to be able to accept that when they have an opinion, or a fact, that may be wrong but does not affect you, is peaceful.
I also disagree with your assertion that ignorance should never be accepted. History has shown over and over again that those who think they own the truth, and that they need to show (force) other cultures to do things their way to improve their quality of life, have in fact destroyed a successful culture. Knowledge is NOT always good. I will argue that we were much better off being being ignorant of nuclear energy.

New Threads

Top Bottom