• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Understanding other people's thinking vs feeling

Waltram

In autism and Asperger tests there are always questions like "Can you easily understand what others are thinking or feeling when you are talking to them?"

I can't answer those questions easily because it usually understand quite well how others think, and even guess their beliefs, opinions and how they are going to react regarding purely rational questions.

But I have a very hard time grasping what they feel, besides basic and clear-cut emotions like joy, boredom, sadness, anger and fear. If I someone smiles at me, I can't tell at all if that's because they are happy, want to be friendly, are being polite, want to flirt, or in extreme cases are making fun of me or thinking I am weird. As a child it was very hard for me to tell if other kids were teasing me in a friendly or hostile way. Some bullies would lure me into thinking they wanted to play with me only to play tricks on me. I have improved a bit from experience, but it still isn't natural at all.

It is very difficult for me to guess if someone likes me, and close to impossible to know how someone feels about a third person. I have read in books about differences between how men and women think (like Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus) that women are typically much better than men at sensing who likes whom when arriving at a party, even if the people are all strangers. Just by the way they look at each others, talk with each others and through body language, a woman can know if people are lovers, former lovers, are attracted to one another, have a one-sided attraction, hate each others, etc. Neurotypical men are usually quite bad at this, and Aspies like me normally have no clue at all.

In spite of that, I can tell if someone is religious and guess how strongly very quickly the first time I meet them. I can sometime guess before I even speak to them ! I can also tell right away if they are intelligent, if they are more scientific-minded, artistic or neither. That proves that an Aspie can have very good intuition for anything that relates to the left brain, their strong hemisphere. Maybe it's because I have a high IQ (Mensa++) and reasonably good empathy (I sometimes cry during emotional scenes of films or animations).

Do other Aspies here have the same experience in being able to discern easily how people think, but are nevertheless clueless about how they feel toward you or others ?

YES, I absolutely do get what you mean and had trouble answering too! Because like you, I can deserve those things, but often misunderstand their facial response.

And YES to empathy but also, I can be unmoved, so a mixed bag!

I find those questionnaires to be unfair, because they are too ambiguous. I did not get the point about: walking behind someone you like? I prefer to walk alongside them, so does that make me a non aspie lol

I find it easier to guess what people think, in some areas and in other areas, I find more it difficult.

If I am observing the interactions between other people, from a distance, I find it easier to discern what they are thinking than if I were directly involved in the interaction.

I am not confident in knowing how other people feel about me from reading their emotions so I tend to look to behaviour as a guide.

If a person regularly initiates engaging with me (of their own free will), I take that as meaning they like me and reciprocate (if I aslo like them).

Those questions throw me off too. I don't feel I have much trouble reading people. I've got a few funny stories of when me and my sister were little and we'd be cringing while watching some moron make our mom mad, and they were totally oblivious! It was dead obvious to us.

In order to understand what a person thinks,
the person has to be communicating (talking
or writing.) Preferably in the same language I
speak & read, and with great luck, even using
the same sort of meanings for the words being
used.

In order to understand what a person feels,
I'd have to know what is going on that the person
is having feelings about. This would happen
either because the person is TELLING me, or
I have witnessed the event.

If I don't have that information, I can't know anything
about what another person is thinking or feeling.
I am not a mind reader and can't reasonably be
expected to know idiosyncratic meanings that may
be placed on words or actions of another person.

Exceptions would be: throwing things at me,
hitting me, yelling, grimacing, pointing and laughing
derisively...etc. That I could figure out. Or the
other, rather unlikely extreme, wordless crooning,
humming & patting me, hugging, offering me soup,
a blanket, a pillow, a cat... etc. lol

In autism and Asperger tests there are always questions like "Can you easily understand what others are thinking or feeling when you are talking to them?"

I can't answer those questions easily because it usually understand quite well how others think, and even guess their beliefs, opinions and how they are going to react regarding purely rational questions.

But I have a very hard time grasping what they feel, besides basic and clear-cut emotions like joy, boredom, sadness, anger and fear. If I someone smiles at me, I can't tell at all if that's because they are happy, want to be friendly, are being polite, want to flirt, or in extreme cases are making fun of me or thinking I am weird.

I think, in a way, that that's a sort of an aspie kind of response. Open-ended questions in general seem to be a problem, at least for me. That's what I heard a lot growing up, although I feel in my case it was exaggerated. But a lot of questions designed by NT's seem to assume linkages between distinct things that might be separate only or at least mainly for us. A common trait noticed by early researchers, though it never made it into the official diagnostic criteria so far as I know, was an uneven skill profile. Asperger noticed advanced skills in some topics and on some parts of the IQ tests he'd give, while in other areas subject would be behind their peers. Kanner noticed the same thing, calling them "islets of ability" in otherwise extremely disabled persons. So it makes sense that it would apply to cognitive tasks taking place in the social realm as much as cognitive tasks inherent in other activities.

I am pretty sure I automatically interpret general moods, like you, but perhaps it would be safe to say my interpretations are cruder than "average". I can usually come up with a variety of reasons for why someone is in a particular mood, and they can range from being serious to just funny. I try not to latch on to any of them because it is my philosophy that few people are actually able to empathize to the degree that I am probably attempting to by worrying about what the person's mood has to do with me, if anything. :/ I have an awful habit of taking bad moods very personally, but I've gotten better. The counselor I am seeing now has even suggested I've surpassed a lot of people socially by being persistent with people.
I don't really think it's fair to say people with ASDs have no empathy. I know I'm able to feel very strongly about the circumstances of people I don't know, although I can't claim to have experience with what that person is feeling, necessarily.

New Threads

Top Bottom