• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitive Topic Two Articles: Responses to Jerry Seinfeld’s self-diagnosis

Vanilla

Your friendly neighbourhood hedgehog
V.I.P Member
For some parents of autistic children, Jerry Seinfeld’s self-diagnosis was ‘a slap in the face’
By Peter HolleyNovember 12 at 1:11 PM

image.jpg

When Kim Stagliano saw an "NBC Nightly News" clip of Jerry Seinfeld saying he’s on the autism spectrum, the first thing she did was get angry.

The next thing she did was get on Twitter.

Continue reading here: For some parents of autistic children, Jerry Seinfeld’s self-diagnosis was ‘a slap in the face’ - The Washington Post

The importance of recognizing autism in fully functioning people

BY SUE KABOT
Special to The Tampa Tribune
Published: November 12, 2014

Jerry Seinfeld’s recent disclosure that he thinks he has autism created quite a stir in the autism world and beyond.

I was not surprised at all.

After working with and meeting thousands of individuals on the spectrum, the wide array of symptoms never ceases to amaze me. And now, someone who is so accomplished felt the need to publicly make the statement that: “I think on a very drawn-out scale, I think I’m on the spectrum.”

What a difference from 31 years ago, when I took my 3-year old son for a diagnostic workup at a major children’s hospital and was told that “the only thing we can guarantee is that he doesn’t have autism.” Why did they say that? Because back then, the picture of autism was very narrow — of a child sitting in the corner rocking, unresponsive to the approaches of other people, and nonverbal.

Today, adults who were never diagnosed with the disorder are coming to terms with the differences, and in many cases, struggles they have faced throughout life. It is not enough to be smart when you have autism. Yes, being academically capable is one element on the path to success, but it is not enough. As Seinfeld stated: “Basic social engagement is a struggle,” and we clearly live in a social world where being able to interact with fellow students, coworkers and people we meet on an everyday basis leads to success and a better quality of life.

Could we really diagnose Seinfeld with Autism Spectrum Disorder today?

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders-5 speaks to requiring support in order to make the diagnosis. It doesn’t seem that for Seinfeld, as for many other successful people, there is a need to make the actual diagnosis.

What is important is that the general public recognizes that the spectrum of autism is quite broad and that although some people on the spectrum have gifts and talents that provide personal fulfillment, appreciation from others and self-sufficiency, there are many others who struggle to understand their social difficulties and the reasons for employment and marital failures, social isolation and other personal challenges.

Nova Southeastern University’s continuum of educational programs and clinical services continue to provide not only early intervention for children as young as 15 months, but support for those who are academically capable who require more assistance to be successful in college.

The wide range of professional training programs that educate future doctors and dentists, psychologists and family therapists, pharmacists, speech-language pathologists, occupational and physical therapists, audiologists and optometrists, and educators serves not only our local South Florida community, but reaches across Florida, the country and world.

Thank you, Jerry Seinfeld, for opening up our eyes to the struggles that even successful, gifted individuals on the spectrum face on a daily basis.

Sue Kabor, Ed.D., is executive director of the Autism Institute at Nova Southeastern University’s Mailman Segal Center for Human Development. Her views are not necessarily those of NSU, its president or board of trustees.

Source: The importance of recognizing autism in fully functioning people | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times

My self-diagnosis now has some professional backing. Who can better understand someone more properly than them self?
I cheer Seinfeld on for bringing his own perception of himself into the light much as I did when I first suspected I was a spectrumite.

I fully understand that lower functioning auties have a very tough road to travel and is sure to frustrate parents of those individuals.

Lower functioning autism is no joking matter,but to see the possibility of success is a great way to lift spirits of all involved in our spectrum.

After watching his clip,I saw no grandstanding or a push for popularity of being autie on his behalf...Mrs. Twitter needs to take a step back and regroup her thoughts before posting her rants... ;)

We should arrange to have the quacky DSM crap tossed out of diagnosis... written by a bunch of yes men patting each other on the backs for fame and glory...define spectrum and see the failure in their perception of how to handle it properly...then try to deny it is only a manual used to appropriate money and not human wellness...

I never had the impression that Jerry Seinfeld was attempting to be "fashionable" coming out about his suspected autism. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have parents and doctors to alert them as to their neurology so early in life. Whether you become famous or not.

Newsflash: ASD isn't just for kids. No one should feel apologetic for making such a discovery and revelation much later on in life. I certainly won't.

I wonder if this is part of the potential problems of merging the terms "autism" and "aspergers".

I like the comment after the first article (a comment by some person called AutismNewsBeat1) that said: "If Seinfeld said he was near sighted, would that somehow diminish the needs of those with more serious vision problems?"

Last edited:
I do not agree with the terms that they stick to each manifested version of the autistic spectrum. It has too many facets to identify it as exactly what it is each and every time by patterns and subjective observations.

I wonder if this is part of the potential problems of merging the terms "autism" and "aspergers".

Stands to reason. It wouldn't surprise me if many parents of autistic children may have a narrow, myopic understanding of their own children's condition. There's no reason to expect much of anyone whether they are autistic or have autistic children to automatically default to a comprehensive understanding of being on one end of the spectrum to the other. It's inherently complex.

Not surprised. For every action, there is an equal positive and negative reaction. My new rule about celebrities saying anything. :D

But why is it always "the parents of" who get fussy. Yeah, I know parents deal with a LOT of stuff for the sake of their kids, but what about the people who actually have to put up with stuff directly? Did the autistic kids and adults care? I sure didn't.

Hate to sound negative, but articles of successful self diagnosed people annoy me. It only perpetuates the idea that high functioning equates success. I struggle everyday and am high functioning. I feel this only gives ammunition to ideals like Autism speaks saying we should not be part of the spectrum.

Hate to sound negative, but articles of successful self diagnosed people annoy me. It only perpetuates the idea that high functioning equates success.
One person who has a successful career saying that he might be on the spectrum does not perpetuate the idea that high functioning equals success. There may very well be some few individuals who are ASD and are successful. Those of us who are extremely unsuccessful (myself included) should not begrudge them that.
The thing that annoys me is when people pull out a whole list of highly famous people who (in their opinion) may have or have had ASD. (Mozart, Einstein, Bill Gates, etc, etc).
Those long lists do perpetuate the idea that ASD is synonymous with genius (and fame, and success).

Under the DSM V, there are three levels of autism, 3 "requiring very substantial support", 2 "requiring substantial support" and 3 "requiring support". I personally feel that if you think you might be on the spectrum but don't require the diagnosis in order to get support, it may very well just be traits and not diagnosable as ASD. So, those people in particular should be getting a diagnosis.

I hope Jerry goes and gets a professional opinion.

There is no doubt that some people's success is a result of luck, but I find it perplexing to extrapolate that onto the success of all people. Hard work and smart decisions, coupled with an aptitude for your chosen career also results in success.

Context. I was under the impression we were talking about the entertainment industry. Not work in general. An industry where being in the right place at the right time with the right people can trump a lifetime of hard labor and ability.

"Maybe get a big stone on your little finger, maybe get a blister on your thumb."

-Mark Knoffler

It might be good to note that Seinfeld is a comedian. The comedy industry can be rather brutal, as success relies on whether audiences think you're funny. I'd say it's one of the few industries that would allow much room for luck, and would rely more on intelligence, observational skills, and charisma.

The comedy industry can be rather brutal, as success relies on whether audiences think you're funny. I'd say it's one of the few industries that would allow much room for luck, and would rely more on intelligence, observational skills, and charisma.

Reminds me of recent tributes to Joan Rivers...and how her career changed after being on the Tonight Show. Yes..it's a brutal way to make a living. Many variables.

New Threads

Top Bottom