• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tinitus woes can you advise me?

Aura Todd

I hope this is the right forum.

I've had this for weeks now and would like some advice. I've always had problems with my ears (white noise) since I was 7yrs but only recently has this got worse. I have exzema in my ears which produce far too much wax. I blame myself for these problems because every time they itched I scratched them and used cotton buds.

I had my ears shringed last Christmas because they completely blocked up, after that I used Earol spray from boots one evening and oil drops with a dropper the following evening.

Occasionally my left ear rang but now very often, but now my right ear is constantly making a high pitched noise which I find hard to bear. I went to SpectSavers and they put a camera in my ear, they said one ear was full of wax (despite using the Earol).while there was some yellow residue in my left, they wern't sure if it was a infection or residue from olive oil left over.

I have made an appointment with my Dr but I have to wait weeks because the receptionists wouldn't make it any earlier. One evening while watching TV, I could hear it above the sound, so I went to the walk in surgery.and on examination said the back of my ear on the left looked red and swollen. I've been given a spray with steroid in, and have since got one for my ringing right ear. I use it three times a day.

I'm fed up because it's not too bad during the day, it's when I try and relax during the evening it seems to get worse. Also my ear itches which I daren't touch in case it makes it worse. My left ear is behaving itself since using the spray, it's just my problematic right ear now.

I wouldn't be in this situation if I hadn't of scratched, or used cotton buds, so I blame myself that I've cause e-reversable damage to my hearing, I'm hoping this will go back to white noise but it's highly unlikely. I used to love meditation, but that's been taken away now.

Can you advise me please?

I am dealing with a bout of eczema myself, so don't blame yourself too much, the itching can drive you crazy!

I've tried various costly treatments...none that I thought actually worked.

Agreed, very frustrating. Especially when trying to simply relax.

I've had a high pitched tinnitus in both ears ever since I can remember and am so used to it I rarely notice it but it's not overpoweringly loud either. I've always figured it was my smoking that caused it but it didn't go away once I quit about 7-8 years ago. Now have some hearing loss. Hope you can get your ears cleaned out and the eczema under control- those things can't be helping.

I hope this is the right forum.

I've had this for weeks now and would like some advice. I've always had problems with my ears (white noise) since I was 7yrs but only recently has this got worse. I have exzema in my ears which produce far too much wax. I blame myself for these problems because every time they itched I scratched them and used cotton buds.

I had my ears shringed last Christmas because they completely blocked up, after that I used Earol spray from boots one evening and oil drops with a dropper the following evening.

Occasionally my left ear rang but now very often, but now my right ear is constantly making a high pitched noise which I find hard to bear. I went to SpectSavers and they put a camera in my ear, they said one ear was full of wax (despite using the Earol).while there was some yellow residue in my left, they wern't sure if it was a infection or residue from olive oil left over.

I have made an appointment with my Dr but I have to wait weeks because the receptionists wouldn't make it any earlier. One evening while watching TV, I could hear it above the sound, so I went to the walk in surgery.and on examination said the back of my ear on the left looked red and swollen. I've been given a spray with steroid in, and have since got one for my ringing right ear. I use it three times a day.

I'm fed up because it's not too bad during the day, it's when I try and relax during the evening it seems to get worse. Also my ear itches which I daren't touch in case it makes it worse. My left ear is behaving itself since using the spray, it's just my problematic right ear now.

I wouldn't be in this situation if I hadn't of scratched, or used cotton buds, so I blame myself that I've cause e-reversable damage to my hearing, I'm hoping this will go back to white noise but it's highly unlikely. I used to love meditation, but that's been taken away now.

Can you advise me please?
Almond oil is good for skin problems or extra-virgin olive oil is good for any skin problems .
are you taking any vitamin and mineral supplements? if not and you are not taking antacids which have magnesium in them !take a magnesium supplement !lack of magnesium can cause tinnitus.
you could make an antiseptic from vinegar and spray a tiny amount into your ear !get a good quality vinegar .

I have tinnitus something terrible, and the only thing that really helps me is to listen to music to try and drown it out. The more I focus on it, the louder it seems to become :( If you do find a solution I'd be game to hear it.

I've had tinnitus for over 30 years. Initially it was very distressing and kept me awake at night. At some point I got used to it- well within a year I would say. I went to several doctors, but was always told that there was nothing they could do. I've seen and heard ads for products that are said to reduce tinnitus, but I haven't tried any. Tinnitus is a very annoying condition that many people deal with. I'm sure your doctor can advise you on what to do or not do. However, you're not alone in this :)

I have tinnitus constantly.
It used to be intermittant until a few years ago.
I've noticed there are two things that make mine worse.
Loud noise such as a group of people talking, theatres where the sounds are extra loud, loud music, etc.
And also anxiety.
When I have to do something that makes me feel anxious and can't relax, afterwards the tinnitus is much worse.

I have been to doctors, ENTs, numerous times and they find nothing wrong with my ears or hearing, so I get the old, "Nothing we can do for it."

The doctors admit anxiety can cause it. I've been told
it is a common reason.
Recently I read an article on-line that research is finding
the noise is not in your ears, but in your brain.
I believe it.
If anxiety makes it worse then it must have something to do with the auditory nerve. Over active maybe?
The article gave no advice for help. Perhaps someday
as it is better understood. I Hope!
Mine is so loud it actually hurts my own ears at times.

The only way to sleep for me is to have soothing music
at just the right level that is about the same as the ringing. It masks it and I can sleep.

I have hyperacusis (painful hearing)... I feel for you and if I had the answers I would gladly give you them.
I have spent lots of money on so called "noise cancelling" headphones and such... BUT when the noise comes from INSIDE your head... Wow it sucks and its sometimes nearly maddening.

One unorthodoxically related hint... I do this and it sort of helps... Headphones and reasonably loud music, just high enough to cancel the "whine".
I know people will disagree and I understand... But it works for me and drowns out the internal noise. I live with headphones or ear buds in my ears... I sleep with ear buds and music in my ears...

When I have to do something that makes me feel anxious and can't relax, afterwards the tinnitus is much worse.

This reflects what I have concluded about me: my problems are caused by stress-induced over-production of cortisol. (The one good thing my endocrinologist appointment did for me, before he threw me out of his office, was labs showing I was making way too much cortisol, and at the wrong times.) And yet, the symptoms (insomnia, eczema, sinus infections) indicated an immune system deficiency that is about a lack of cortisol, because doctors give us steroids for some of these things.

It stopped being contradictory when I realized the problem was cortisol resistance. (Dr. Jack Kruse is a neurosurgeon who agrees with me.) Like insulin resistance, only with a different hormone. And the answer to both is the same: lower the body's production of that hormone, so the cells will allow it in to do its healing work.

These things helped even before I got my diagnosis:
  • using circadian rhythm resets to help my sleep: amber lens sunglasses after sundown, sun on my face first thing in the morning, sleep mask or blackout drapes (NO light for sleep) and a lightbox first thing on winter mornings, going to bed early, Brainwaves app
  • eating what is known as a Big A$$ Breakfast first thing in the morning; 50 grams of protein and added fat with lots of Omega 3s, like butter, coconut oil, bacon (you can work up to this)
  • calming insulin surges by keeping blood sugar low (insulin influences cortisol, and should not be high, either)
  • Vitamin D3 with cofactor K2 (most people are low on D) in the morning and anti-inflammatory herbs to help sleep at bedtime
After my diagnosis, I was able to craft these strategies:
  • Now I know what is causing the stress! Life as an Aspie. I took steps to revamp my work situation (no longer dealing with the public, less travel, working at home a couple days a week once I got a doctor's note) and expanding my home space (we took a separate apartment in the same building so I could destress and actually work on my writing -- this dissolved my writer's block)
  • I realized stress reduction was about lowering too much input: so I started spending time alone when I needed it
  • I targeted my supplement regimen to address my Aspie problems: therapeutic levels of niacin for anxiety (works like a charm! and great for sleep) and therapeutic levels of pregnenolone for hormone and neurotransmitter replenishment (was a missing piece that is really paying off) and Liposomal C (high dose) that is for general healing, 'cause dang I need it
  • accepting that this has changed the entire course of my life, and taking steps to change the entire course of my life
It is a mistake to focus on the symptoms only. We have to correct the underlying imbalance that creates those symptoms. Please be aware that what I did was appropriate for a menopausal woman with a disastrous menopause, high stress job, and a certain level of financial resources: I am spending my retirement money for my health now, or I will never get to retirement age.

Fix the source of the problem.

Note about my Whacked Out Ways: I realize I sound like a nut. But that's fine. With menopause I nearly died. This is not an exaggeration. It was a total Mid-Life Aspie Meltdown, but I didn't know that was the problem. I suffered all kinds of body and mind dysfunction for years on end, barely keeping myself together. Once I did my job at my usual stellar level, I was able to keep groceries in the house... and not much else.

Doing what I described gave me my life back. If there's the slightest chance any of this helps my people: I will look like a nut. No problem.

I have had Tinnitus also for years sometimes its so loud its like a steam train running through my head!

If you have an iphone there are some Tinnitus masking apps that play white noise so if you put in an earphone depending if its one side or both I found that sometimes helps if you don't want to listen to loud music or watch the tv at the time.

it seems to get louder at night because it is more quiet when you go to sleep

i bought and downloaded a movie onto my iPad, when i go to sleep i put it on next to me and just passively listen to it, it takes my mind of the noise and distracts me enough to fall asleep

i also started taking a zinc supplement which was supposed to help, whether it did or was placebo i don't know

but i'm fine now

Ive had tinnitis forever. I have no idea what helps. Right now I can hear it over the TV, the air conditioner, a floor fan and ceiling fan going. I usually can listen to something in earphones at bedtime, that helps to fall asleep, but I have no idea what I listened to after waking. Usually the TV is on at night but then sometimes that gives me weird dreams from the content.

I get vertigo also when under too much stress.
My tinnitus is very bad tonight, but then I've been sick with a virus all week.
@WereBear , her post is so true. My ENT said when stress and/or anxiety gets worse, it gets worse.
Same with vertigo.
I am having a vestibular test though next week just to see if it shows anything in the inner ear that might
be wrong.
I have researched on the high cortisol levels we have from stress and anxiety and it seems to be the main problem. Yes, it is needed to help correct the body, if at the right levels and absorption.

I take a number of supplements. My blood showed low in vitamin D.
Never tried the Liposomal C or pregnenolone. I research on everything I find to help my body from self destructing due to cortisol and inflammation.
One I have added to my collection is Spirulina. It is supposed to help reduce cortisol.

My mum has bad tinitus. Her coping strategy is to put the radio on loud or the TV to drown the tinitus out, which makes it very hard for me when I go to visit her.

New Threads

Top Bottom