• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thoughts on a Poster?

Looks fine. My only suggestion would be to delete the term 'Aspergers' entirely and use autism or 'on the spectrum'. My read is that the term 'Aspergers' is increasingly being dragged down by negative association, and I would personally choose to get ahead of that curve.

I find the term asperger's offensive and I'm glad it's been rid of from the DSM (where I am, anyway.) However if they attacked you because of it, that's not okay! There are other ways to educate people rather than using aggression.

I think the poster looks fine though tbh, some people identify as "having aspergers" rather than "being autistic" so it allows you to reach a broader audience. Good luck with your research!

in
Hi everyone :)

I have recently had some feedback about a research poster I put out, saying that they didn't like my use of the term Asperger's. I had used it for a reason (where I am from this is the term most people prefer, but I now realise the internet is a whole different game!), but I have now redesigned the poster in a hope to balance this out.

What are your thoughts on the new design? Am I likely to accidentally offend anyone, and is any of it unclear? I was quite upset about the last feedback, so it would be great if I had feedback on this one before I sent it out :)

SummerView attachment 43751
the uk and USA Aspergers syndrome was phased out in 2013 for the newly diagnosed -its just ASD if youre diagnosed before that autism would only include high to low functioning autism,not Rett syndrome ,PDD-NOS

Well Yes technically everyone on earth is included in the spectrum of the human experience but to say that everyone sits somewhere on the autistic spectrum including NT's is incorrect. One cannot be on the spectrum without being autistic. In short basically yes it's a spectrum of traits although it's more complicated than that.

I like it! Hadn't thought about phrasing it that way, it definitely sounds more positive.
Where do we stand on referring to people on and not on the spectrum? I've always been a little confused because technically everyone (including NT's) is somewhere on the spectrum, as it's a spectrum? Or have I always confused it with a 'spectrum of traits', which is different, and the autism spectrum only refers to autistic people?

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate your input.
Here is the new poster :)

New thought... do you prefer 'autism spectrum', or 'autistic spectrum'?
Research Advert Postcard 4.jpg

I think both are OK. Is there a grammatical justification for one or the other? Not my specialty.

Is this a literal poster? One that's going to be hung up on a wall?

Seems fine, but about the link, the part after "go to:"...I'd recommend condensing that down to something easier to digest, or adding an alternate link to that website. bit.ly is a good tool for this.

Last edited:
Hi Amy,

I'm chiming in rather late here, but I thought you might find my perspective useful, since I'm both autistic, and a professor who chaired a university research ethics committee for three years.

I really don't think there was anything offensive about your original poster, but you've got some great feedback here and your revised version is better, just because it's clearer. In a research environment where NT autism researchers still get published while referring to the disease burden of autistic people, I don't think you need to apologise for your work. Autistic researchers of autism should be encouraged.

Good luck with your study - I think you've picked a good topic.

New Threads

Top Bottom