• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thinking in pictures vs ?

Funny to recall building complex plastic models at seven years of age. Written instructions would confuse me. But those exploded diagrams showing only the parts...it was easy to figure out how things fit together. :)

This is why the parts manual is almost as important as the service manual on any given machine. Parts people always wanted why I wanted to have both. This is one of the reasons.

The easiest way for me to explain my experience is the way when in deeper thought,I often go gray to external vision for a second or so and focus on the images that display as I review my internal images.If interrupted during the process,it sometimes makes my brain start over again and adds to the delay.Sometimes it may take hundreds of images to cover a single thought,while other times I only need one. I am sure it appears like I am searching for the answers out in space as I wait for the pix to develop and be sorted. They are always crystal clear and an exact representation of the first time I saw them in person,without blurring or loss of quality. I guess it is very hard to describe if you are not seeing yours the way I do.

The easiest way for me to explain my experience is the way when in deeper thought,I often go gray to external vision for a second or so and focus on the images that display as I review my internal images.If interrupted during the process,it sometimes makes my brain start over again and adds to the delay.Sometimes it may take hundreds of images to cover a single thought,while other times I only need one. I am sure it appears like I am searching for the answers out in space as I wait for the pix to develop and be sorted. They are always crystal clear and an exact representation of the first time I saw them in person,without blurring or loss of quality. I guess it is very hard to describe if you are not seeing yours the way I do.
Okay Thank you Nitro ,no I think mine are more internal in my head mostly....my dream state is very close to the surface, but I never see outside stuff while awake. I one in awhile almost dream awake...but that is hard to be sure on as one always seems to think they are awake in dreams anyways.:rolleyes:

That would be quite the trick Nitro ,you can see your thoughts in front of you....both very cool :D and maybe quite inconvenient at times...:confused:

These things are always hard to explain....my sense of logical natural order, and intuitional links between things, is as important as the imaging part. Basicaly I'm a much nicer Dr. House with some Einstien thrown in. it is very hard to explain how ones brain thinks different as I can't feel what a normal brain is....for me it is just normal.:confused:

May be this is a poor idea the more one explains the more one ends up spooking the rest of the world, I don't need a mob chasing me with garlic and wooden stakes.:eek:

What is the alternative to thinking in pictures?

Thinking in words. I used to do this all the time. For example, if you were to tell me to think of a motorbike, I would see the word "motorbike" and not an example of the actual thing. Now it depends, and I still sometimes see the word, but it's more often the case that I will see the thing being mentioned.

Thinking in words. I used to do this all the time. For example, if you were to tell me to think of a motorbike, I would see the word "motorbike" and not an example of the actual thing. Now it depends, and I still sometimes see the word, but it's more often the case that I will see the thing being mentioned.
Sounds like a good exercise. I'll try it.

Y'all that say you think in pictures have the ability to recall most of what you have ever viewed? Another question is can you see total details or blurry images. I have studied a great deal about me and have pondered the possibility of being eidetic which is a condition usually reserved for the younger people that fades in time. Some go on to adulthood with the condition, an unusually vivid subjective visual phenomenon. An eidetic person claims to continue to “see” an object that is no longer objectively present. Eidetic persons behave as if they are actually seeing an item, either with their eyes closed or while looking at some surface that serves as a convenient background for the image. Furthermore, eidetic persons describe the image as if it is still present and not as if they are recalling a past event. The incidence of eidetic imagery is very low in children (2–10 percent) and almost nonexistent in adults.
Do you get moving clips for stronger memories? Can you move about while inside your internal moving images if you get those?

This is very interesting. I just became recently aware of this as I am in the process of getting diagnosed.
I think in pictures most of the time. I am visualizing the words.
At work every customer has his own contract number. I am memorizing the numbers that belong to each customer, I just see them in front of me. I recall the page/picture where I saw them last time, it does not feel blurry.
My mom told me this week that when I was 4 years old I did not know yet the numbers and there meaning, but was able to call her at work every day, because I memorized what I had to dial :)

Visual thinking: I'm intuitive, so my brain works like an ATM. Images enter continually. When I'm thinking about something I enter questions (like ATM cards) and then forget about it. When the answer is ready it comes out (like money) Then I translate everything into words.

Yeah, that's what goes on in my head!!! I see solutions to problems at work in my head, but I cannot explain how to do it or how I did it after it's done.

Well...at the time virtually no one was doing what I was. Making website interfaces which were visual metaphors of software games. Took more bandwidth at a time when most people were still on dialup modems...but it was a unique way to advertise the product.

But continually problematic to explain to the game's producers, which frustrated me as much as it did them.

Uh, oh, duh?o_O You lost me at interfaces, but I will admit I was impressed.

What it essentially means is that I gave the website physical characteristics of the games themselves. To establish a look and feel of the product, as opposed to just writing about them with pictures included.

I'm actually amazed that other people's pictures don't move. Not only do my pictures move, but I can manipulate them at will. Is that really so unusual?
I don't really know,I am just asking for comparison

I am late on this discussion, but I have often heard or read that there are those who think in pictures. However, I am very clear on this: I think in metaphors. So, my mind immediately draws up a parallel meaning which may not seem relevant to the actual event or issue that I am thinking about but provides me with a more meaningful definition.

For example, if one is a 'wounded healer' it does not mean that one is actually wounded or a healer in the literal sense, but that one's life pain and struggle provides one with understanding as a basis to help others, and thus one is 'wounded' by life and then can empathise and sympathise with others and thus bring some form of 'healing'.

'Never trust someone who walks without a limp' cannot be taken literally, but means not to trust those who have not experienced debilitating struggles and battles in life. Life pain provides a 'limp' and brings humility. Those people cannot be trusted because they cannot relate to those who have struggled and so tend to be arrogant.

Some will claim that Aspies do not relate to metaphors, but I disagree with this assessment because it is a broad generalisation. Anyway, that is definitely the way I think all the time. Strange but true.

Some will claim that Aspies do not relate to metaphors, but I disagree with this assessment because it is a broad generalisation. Anyway, that is definitely the way I think all the time. Strange but true.

I have a hard time relating to "normal", popular metaphors, but I also think metaphorically all the time. My own metaphors make a LOT of sense to me, and that's really an important part of how I communicate with people.

Metaphorical thinking, for me, comes from this "kinesthetic knowing" of information and concepts. It's almost like I can feel the movement/energy of an idea, and then I look for another situation that feels the same way and that's more familiar to the listener, and that becomes one of my metaphors for that idea.

Am I the only one in the world who has never 'thought' about how I think? I think in pictures, it seems to be things I've seen before, but if someone tells me a graphic horrible story I can easily picture it, and it's very disturbing. I can't listen to graphic life stories, too much detail I can't deal with.

If I've never seen a word written somewhere, I most likely cannot spell it. I've always been a great speller, until my smart phone came along and refused to cooperate!

I'm also a painter, I can about reproduce a photograph, but coming up with my own art is a struggle. It's like I have to do it, before I can visualize it, like I need something concrete to look at in order to work with it. Then the visualizations explode wit possibilities. I suppose for this reason it doesn't really give me joy to paint. It's a lot of work, because every detail has to be perfect and I'm never satisfied with my results, or abilities. But I can go months or years with no practice, then paint something better than I ever did before. Strange.

I often think in cartoons, which make humor in life. Mostly Looney Tunes, at 55 I still love them!

It's extremely hard to express what is going on in my mind, I can't find the words to use, and I never really thought much about it. I guess I've sort of lived in the moment, or dwell on the past, and don't have that many memories to reflect on, except the vivid ones that were usually of something serious happening at the time. For the life of me I cannot remember the first day of school. I can't remember much of my childhood, or of my children's childhood. It's really quite sad.

Am I the only one in the world who has never 'thought' about how I think?

It's called metacognition (thinking about your thinking), and no, I don't think everyone does it. I was talking with someone at work the other day about the way we each think (he also thinks in pictures, but is not autistic), and someone overheard the conversation. She expressed surprise that anyone ever thinks about their thinking, and couldn't figure out how we did it.

Funny to recall building complex plastic models at seven years of age. Written instructions would confuse me. But those exploded diagrams showing only the parts...it was easy to figure out how things fit together.

Since I was very young I could look at diagrams and 'see' how to put something together without reading the written instructions. Looking at the drawings/pictures was all that I required. When I assemble something, I don't read written instructions. My husband reads the assembly instructions and by the time he's finished I've assembled whatever the thing is.

New Threads

Top Bottom