• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things on tv that scared you as a child?

IContainMultitudes

V.I.P Member
What are some things you can remember seeing on tv as a child that scared you? I got the idea for this topic from an article on io9 (http://io9.com/5797499/). It reminded me of how I would always run for cover whenever these commercials for these "Mysteries of the Unknown" Time-Life books came on, especially this one. Holy freakin' crap! I still find it a little creepy today!

The 1980s United Artists logo thingy also scared the crap out of me whenever it came on in front of a movie.

When I was about 12 or 13, I saw this Japanese sci-fi movie called Zeiram on the Sci-Fi channel at night that scared me a little (I think it was mainly this weird, slightly phallic appendage that the titular alien would shoot out of its forehead that had a little kabuki mask thing on the end that freaked me out a little), but I think that by that time, I kind of enjoyed being scared by movies a little bit. (IIRC, like most late-night tv in the early 90s, the movie was accompanied by lots of ads for phone sex numbers, which may have aroused a whole other set of weird and slightly uncomfortable feelings.)

Come to think of it, I also saw the Stephen King tv-movie It when it first came out. I'm kind of amazed that my mom let me watch it (I think she did have kind of a "Why on earth would you want to watch that?" reaction; weirdly enough, she became a big fan of the HBO series True Blood years later). It scared me a little, but I think I wanted to be a little scared.

Did any of these scare you when you were a child?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, in some way, I was convinced that Alien, the Alien, was living in the dark spot underneath the spiral staircase in our house. For a couple of years, every time I had to take those stairs, I'd take a deep breath, open the door, jump the stairs and dash for my room.
And Predator had a hideout in the garden, but he didn't really bother me that much.

When I was about 3 years old I was afraid of a turned off TV. I felt as if some shadows, or ghosts in a form of characters from some kids show (I knew they were not the characters themselves) are going to come out of there or something like that...yeah :) later I realized it was just that specific TV set, when we moved to a different house, I kept checking if I'm still scared of TV but I wasn't :)
As for the rest, I was growing up in a country when those shows weren't available.

Last edited:
My aspie son will hide in a doorway and watch the TV's reflection in a mirror if something even remotely scary is on. He gets terrified of kids' shows that are not even intended to be a little bit scary.

I used to get frightened when the ITV Powergen weather indents came on, especially this one:

I used to get frightened when the ITV Powergen weather indents came on, especially this one:

Yikes! I'm not surprised! That's weird!

When I was about 3 years old I was afraid of a turned off TV. I felt as if some shadows, or ghosts in a form of characters from some kids show (I knew they were not the characters themselves) are going to come out of there or something like that...yeah :) later I realized it was just that specific TV set, when we moved to a different house, I kept checking if I'm still scared of TV but I wasn't :)

That just reminded me of me of how, when I was about 8 or 9, I saw some kind of show about ghosts that had a part where there was a pair of eyes looking at someone on a blank tv screen. I was a little bit afraid of blank tv screens for a while after that!

Mine was never TV shows but films... the 2 worts has to be

Ghostbuster: The gate keeper & The Key Master
View attachment 815

Aliens:
View attachment 816

My mum sat me down one breakfast when i was 4 and said i taped a nice film for you last night about aliens...:nah: i didnt sleep for 6 months:S:lol:

9/11. It still does anyway. It dashed my hopes, in short, to visit the WTC, the symbol of capitalism

I think I saw Child's Play on tv at some point when I was young, but somehow I don't think it scared me that much. It scared me though.

I can't remember if it was Child's Play 1 or 2 but the scene when the chucky doll is chasing that kid while wielding a knife to cut his ear off, that definitely scared me.

Ah and I've just remembered: that haunted paining and that pink slime that rises from the bath freaked me out from Ghostbusters.

My dad's favorite show in the early 90s was the cult classic Get A Life starring Chris Elliott.
I was too young to remember, but I am told that the roller-blading giraffe in this particular segment scared the hell out of me:
They still hold it over my head and I'm 23!

When I was nine, I watched an episode of The Simpsons with Sideshow Bob in it. It was the creepiest thing ever! The tattoo on his back, the evil laugh, the threatening messages and THE VOICE! Didn't really sleep that night, I thought someone was going to come at me with a knife! Spent the rest of the school year traumatised...

New Threads

Top Bottom