• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The truth about Aspergers?

"About the author: I had a year-long relationship with a man who did not disclose his diagnosis of Asperger’s Syndrome. I also had a female friend with the disorder who chose not to tell me. AS cannot be hidden. Their deficits in empathy and communication became painfully apparent. Both relationships were traumatic. Had I known about AS and its effect on others in relationships, I could have avoided becoming involved with them. People with AS should disclose their diagnosis if they are aware of it, and the rest of us should have access to accurate information about the condition and how it affects others. That would enable us to avoid a lot of unnecessary pain."

From this quote from the author apparently our 'disorder' should be widely broadcasted so that we can be avoided to keep us from hurting NT individuals. This conclusion is based on the experiences with two individuals but frustratingly is being shared with many as facts about us.

While I had wished there was more knowledge about autism and aspergers, this is not what I had in mind.

"About the author: I had a year-long relationship with a man who did not disclose his diagnosis of Asperger’s Syndrome. I also had a female friend with the disorder who chose not to tell me. AS cannot be hidden. Their deficits in empathy and communication became painfully apparent. Both relationships were traumatic. Had I known about AS and its effect on others in relationships, I could have avoided becoming involved with them. People with AS should disclose their diagnosis if they are aware of it, and the rest of us should have access to accurate information about the condition and how it affects others. That would enable us to avoid a lot of unnecessary pain."

From this quote from the author apparently our 'disorder' should be widely broadcasted so that we can be avoided to keep us from hurting NT individuals. This conclusion is based on the experiences with two individuals but frustratingly is being shared with many as facts about us.

While I had wished there was more knowledge about autism and aspergers, this is not what I had in mind.
I think this woman has some kind of disorder herself, or just needs to see therapist to work through her "trauma". It's not normal or healthy to set up a whole website and promote an effort at targeting people with ASD.

I think this woman has some kind of disorder herself, or just needs to see therapist to work through her "trauma". It's not normal or healthy to set up a whole website and promote an effort at targeting people with ASD.

I think so to. Definitely sounds like it is written out of anger or wounded and comes out incredibly biased. Can't be an expert on something after two experiences.

Seems another section is alluding to being in a relationship with ASD means domestic violence... This person would probably just want to ship us all off to an island to live away from NT's so we don't 'harm' anyone else. No mention of any harm done to us though.

As someone who does not think he has ASD, but Social Anxiety Disorder combined with OCD, but who has two ASD children, but who cannot totally rule out I could have higher functioning ASD, many here would nevertheless consider me an NT without medical diagnosis, despite severe lifelong social and other dysfunction Regardless, what I have, I will tell the truth as I see it. And although some points she made were valid, she lost all credibility because of the following six things:

(1) As she is a medical professional, she should never generalize like that, and create a website suggesting or stating all with Aspergers are like that, as all are not, as each with Aspergers or ASD will have differing abilities, strengths, limitations and interests, and stress tolerance levels, and abilities to learn and adapt in some ways. You would think a psychologist would understand that each on the Spectrum can be different.

(2) The psychologist showed lack of empathy herself. Although from the surface it looks like she was putting herself in the shoes of the spouse, children, parents, friends and siblings, and understanding there, but that may not really show empathy, as if she were really empathetic she would not be so one-sided in her website, and she would show care, concern and compassion for those on the Spectrum as well, and again she would not have generalized about ASDers. I would hate for any with Aspergers or ASD, or any condition, to be involved with psychologists that showed apathy towards persons with diagnosed mental health conditions and that liked prejudging like that, as many variables are involved that would require case by case analysis.

(3) Her website page did not state or suggest how NTs could be doing wrong, in such relationships. Although I agree that the NT could go through a lot of anxiety, stress and/or depression, the NT could also inflict severe abuses onto the one with Aspergers or Autism, because of any traumas they faced or because of their own personality flaws, and push that one with diagnosed or suspected ASD condition away, and then play victim, and make little attempt at resolvement.

(4) Other than that psychologist stating or suggestion that the medical society should pay more attention to and admit to the traumas of caregivers and family members, there were no specific solutions in her website to help the one with Aspergers or their families. It seems like the purpose of the website page was to promote empathy towards the NT, and likely so as the medical community can get more money from more new patients, as if she really cared, without money strings attached, create a website that gives numerous tips and solutions to help these relationships, with equal solutions for each side to consider.

(5) If one is a psychologist, why create a website singling out those with Aspergers or ASD? Does she have anger at those persons for some reason, more than others? If so, why? There certainly are mental health conditions more severe than that. It is as if maybe she had a personal bad experience with an Aspie, so her need to create a website focusing on them, as it seems bizarre to focus on just those with Aspergers, and would seem more proper if she would have instead just grouped all mental health conditions together, and create a webpage saying how those with a mental condition can make it hard for families and in many of those varying ways.

(6) The implication from that website and that psychologist is that NTs are way more empathetic than NTs. That is fiction. If they are so empathetic, then why did none of the teachers help me in school, and why did no students come to my aid when bullied, and why does discrimination run rampant against women, men, against minories, different races or ethnicities, the old, disabled, those with handicaps and mental illness?

Also, if NT's are so empathetic, then why are many NT medical professionals taking advantage of many patients, with dragged out treatments, not listening to patients and their families, over billing, diagnosing improperly sometimes to just satisfy insurances, etc. Yes, there are great doctors too, but there are great persons with any condition, too. How would it look like if I created a website saying all doctors had narcissism and without empathy, based on many experiences our family had with them? And why are so many abuses coming from NTs, and with little attempt to hold many of them accountable by other NTers, or in not taking away the victim then to safer environments? That shows a lack of empathy coming from NTs. Why are so many NTs these days obsessed about high achievements and their own personal happiness, more so than helping others? Is that empathy?

Why would so many NTs rather read books not with purpose to understand and help, but to escape or to be entertained? That is their right of course, as they could help in other ways. But, let's say an NT who did not relate in any way to Autism, read a book on Autism, which would be a very rare case. I bet most NTs would be closed minded and rather read something else, or even if that NT related in some way to Autism, they would in most cases read just a best seller related to that, due to slick advertising, or read from a doctor's perspective; a doctor that does not understand the Autism details up close having not lived that on a daily basis, rather than buy from from a parent who was living with Autistic children and who really spoke the truth in an empathetic way, with a goal to change the systems with specific solutions and not those on the Spectrum. That does not show empathy and a desire to understand from another persons perspective and that may not believe in heavy promotion or advertising.

But, of the several hundreds of mostly professional NTs who initiated being followers on my twitter, how many do you think had the empathy to read my website and buy my book, to learn about Autism, through a Dads perspective raising two different Autistic children? One. Had they have done that, I would have returned the favor. If they were an empathetic person they should not need me to sell them on the idea for them to have a heart, do the right thing, and to show care and respect to a parent that was trying hard to help society treat Autistics better. Instead, they all wanted to just promote their own stuff. Most Nts do not care about Autistics. They cannot empathize with what they are going through, much less care about their families. That psychologist likely had a bad experience and tried venting in a professional way, to get back at all Aspies. She should be banned from her profession.
If autism is thought to be genetic and you have two kids with it, wouldn't that suggest you are more likely to have it also?

I think so to. Definitely sounds like it is written out of anger or wounded and comes out incredibly biased. Can't be an expert on something after two experiences.

Seems another section is alluding to being in a relationship with ASD means domestic violence... This person would probably just want to ship us all off to an island to live away from NT's so we don't 'harm' anyone else. No mention of any harm done to us though.
I know I have been difficult to be around sometimes in my relationships but at the end of the day I was always the one most damaged by them!

I know I have been difficult to be around sometimes in my relationships but at the end of the day I was always the one most damaged by them!

I will be the first to admit that I can be difficult, especially with communication. That is part of the frustration of her stance that we don't admit to negatives but that isn't true at all. I think most of us will admit that we have weaknesses. But I would think most of us are not intentionally being rude or hurtful and are instead just struggling to communicate or understand the social cues.

However their is no chance on this site for working through issues or gaining a better understanding. The site says there is no chance for comments or anything because apparently we have a 'group of activists' that would shut her up or something. It is a one way attack really that portrays negatives only and an all encompassing negative for us at that. Which if they really knew about ASD they would understand it is a spectrum and meeting two people with it means meeting two people. That isn't enough to base any sort of conclusion. Especially if one or both of those two people didn't realize they had ASD at the time so didn't understand their struggles very well. There are just too many variables to consider that are not.

To think that she is supposed to be a psychologist...

I really dislike her attitude, in this "every one is entitled to their opinion, so here is mine, but I will shut you down and dismiss you if you disagree". There isn't even room for respectful disagreement with her, is there? That's a very narrow-minded attitude. Maybe she and the other people like her should just join the ranks of A... Speaks, so that at least we don't have to keep excel files of all the places that attacks can come frome. Her and her lot, yes (cue more wishful thinking). That or move to an island with no internet connection where they would be free to spew their hatred amongst themselves, without risking being harrassed by the evil auties.

If autism is thought to be genetic and you have two kids with it, wouldn't that suggest you are more likely to have it also?

Yes, and that is why I have not ruled it out, and as one mental health social worker longer ago suspected it, as I am am very vigilant and very much into detail, and have had lifelong extreme abnormal shyness and social dysfunction where I avoided all others and where looking in others' eyes was even very uncomfortable. Also, it is difficult for me to express certain loving type feelings verbally, but I am fine with expressing love through a physical relationship. I can express verbally all other thoughts and feelings well to my wife and one on one with others in quiet settings, but not in a group and in public. I do have difficulty with laughter too.

For any perfection issues, it is not routine or ritual related, but mostly just detail and writing related, nor do I have any sensory sensitivities. I can pick up on other persons' feelings, social cues and their intentions very well. I am a pleaser, and often thinking to help all others first. I look deeper than the surface for all things and question things. I understand idioms and figurative language well. I have never been prone to any behavioral issues, except withdrawn behavior, as I avoid confrontations at all costs and knew the harm of that from growing up from watching our parents. All my diagnoses since age eighteen have been Social Phobia, Social Anxiety Disorder, OCD or Avoidant Personality.

Our Autistic children have all the major core signs and symptoms of Autism that I have never had, as pertaining to the delays, the routine needs, sensory issues, meltdowns, restricted interests, literal language for Aaron, and other issues that would seem more for those on the Spectrum. My main issue my entire life was extreme social dysfunction and analyzing everything to bits, and being precise for writings, and liking somewhat clean and tidy places, but being spontaneous for most everything else. So, if that can be ASD, I am fine with that. But, I have never been diagnosed with that.

so I took some time and looked through the website and the links on the website and all I can say is I'm stunned by the ignorance, assumptions, bias and hypocrisy. If that is "mainstream thinking" on autism and AS, no wonder "finding a cure" is the top of everyone's list. Cripes!

I cant speak for others but I am totally non-violent. However I know many violent NT's. I am kin to them and have been the end product of their wrath... Its just not worth worrying over. This is their reality and I have come to understand that I guess. All I ask is that they just please let me have some peace and leave me alone sometimes.

My thing is it seems likes some people just "sense" something about me and they just somehow know I don't fit in their reality. Not sure? Not sure about much of anything I guess.

Yes, and that is why I have not ruled it out, and as one mental health social worker longer ago suspected it, as I am am very vigilant and very much into detail, and have had lifelong extreme abnormal shyness and social dysfunction where I avoided all others and where looking in others' eyes was even very uncomfortable. Also, it is difficult for me to express certain loving type feelings verbally, but I am fine with expressing love through a physical relationship. I can express verbally all other thoughts and feelings well to my wife and one on one with others in quiet settings, but not in a group and in public. I do have difficulty with laughter too.

For any perfection issues, it is not routine or ritual related, but mostly just detail and writing related, nor do I have any sensory sensitivities. I can pick up on other persons' feelings, social cues and their intentions very well. I am a pleaser, and often thinking to help all others first. I look deeper than the surface for all things and question things. I understand idioms and figurative language well. I have never been prone to any behavioral issues, except withdrawn behavior, as I avoid confrontations at all costs and knew the harm of that from growing up from watching our parents. All my diagnoses since age eighteen have been Social Phobia, Social Anxiety Disorder, OCD or Avoidant Personality.

Our Autistic children have all the major core signs and symptoms of Autism that I have never had, as pertaining to the delays, the routine needs, sensory issues, meltdowns, restricted interests, literal language for Aaron, and other issues that would seem more for those on the Spectrum. My main issue my entire life was extreme social dysfunction and analyzing everything to bits, and being precise for writings, and liking somewhat clean and tidy places, but being spontaneous for most everything else. So, if that can be ASD, I am fine with that. But, I have never been diagnosed with that.
I have only just come to the realisation that I most likely have high functioning Aspergers very recently after a lifetime of feeling like a square peg trying to fit in a round hole. My most obvious symptoms are social issues, but during the course of trying to find out more I now realise I fit almost ALL of the traits of women with it! Which are apparently quite different to men and boys and probably the reason it has been previously thought to be something which mainly affected males. Nevertheless I am expecting to meet with significant resistance from the medical profession unless I am able to get to see someone who is expert in this area. Luckily I live within driving distance of one of the world's most recognized experts and only hope I can convince someone to refer me.
However after my first encounter with my GP I know it won't be easy. He immediately assured me I didn't have it, he would KNOW if I did, he'd never come across anyone diagnosed as a mature adult etc etc.....
I think maybe the very fact that I grew up in an era where autism was unheard of meant that I had to try harder to fit in......and I've had a lifetime of observing and copying behaviors that helped me to do that. However it's come at the price of suffering chronic depression, anxiety and insomnia since my late teens.
I only "discovered" aspergers after my brother's little boy showed very obvious signs of autism and I started reading about it. However I'm now convinced my father had it too but impossible to prove since he died many years ago.
I think doctors and mental health professionals are still falling for the trap of looking for stereotypes and not recognising that is a spectrum disorder.

I cant speak for others but I am totally non-violent. However I know many violent NT's. I am kin to them and have been the end product of their wrath... Its just not worth worrying over. This is their reality and I have come to understand that I guess. All I ask is that they just please let me have some peace and leave me alone sometimes.

My thing is it seems likes some people just "sense" something about me and they just somehow know I don't fit in their reality. Not sure? Not sure about much of anything I guess.

Right, some can be violent but that can be said of anyone. ASD does not automatically equal violence.

I definitely feel like growing up the other kids could sense something different in me. Kids are more vocal about that sort of thing. Adults seem to either ignore 'differences' or attack it in less open ways, gossiping, etc. Many people seem scared/unaccepting/uninterested in differences, especially those that they don't understand.

I have only just come to the realisation that I most likely have high functioning Aspergers very recently after a lifetime of feeling like a square peg trying to fit in a round hole. My most obvious symptoms are social issues, but during the course of trying to find out more I now realise I fit almost ALL of the traits of women with it! Which are apparently quite different to men and boys and probably the reason it has been previously thought to be something which mainly affected males. Nevertheless I am expecting to meet with significant resistance from the medical profession unless I am able to get to see someone who is expert in this area. Luckily I live within driving distance of one of the world's most recognized experts and only hope I can convince someone to refer me.
However after my first encounter with my GP I know it won't be easy. He immediately assured me I didn't have it, he would KNOW if I did, he'd never come across anyone diagnosed as a mature adult etc etc.....
I think maybe the very fact that I grew up in an era where autism was unheard of meant that I had to try harder to fit in......and I've had a lifetime of observing and copying behaviors that helped me to do that. However it's come at the price of suffering chronic depression, anxiety and insomnia since my late teens.
I only "discovered" aspergers after my brother's little boy showed very obvious signs of autism and I started reading about it. However I'm now convinced my father had it too but impossible to prove since he died many years ago.
I think doctors and mental health professionals are still falling for the trap of looking for stereotypes and not recognising that is a spectrum disorder.
It doesn't go into much detail, but you'll probably find this article interesting, Fitzo:
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-37221030

It doesn't go into much detail, but you'll probably find this article interesting, Fitzo:
Autism in women 'under-diagnosed'
Yes precisely what I'm talking about! Thanks for drawing it to my attention. I might print it out and take it with me to my next appointment....... alongside the sheaf of other data I have now collected He'll probably take one look at it all and decide I'm OCD......even though I'm actually not!

I am wishing you good luck with the diagnostics. It is never too late to try, and yes, an Autism specialist is your best best, especially as females are often taken less seriously for such diagnoses. Pediatricians and family doctors were clueless even about our sons' Autism, despite us informing them of their language delays, need for rigid routines, motor issues, and severe eating and sleep issues, and other sensory sensitivities.

Aaron, our oldest son, age eight, was diagnosed at age three by a psychologist through the school system, after several doctors did not listen to our concerns and want to evaluate him. He had more classic signs and symptoms, and yet he is high functioning now, being at most a grade behind his peers for some things, but on par or above for others. We were dissatisfied with his various treatment attempts, except occupational therapy, and his preschool attempt was a nightmare, so we chose to homeschool. He is doing very well.

Dylan, age five now, was diagnosed at age four, through an Autism specialist about four hours away, as none of the local doctors wanted to evaluate him for Autism, despite being nonverbal and having very limited and restricted diet and other anxieties and major delays, as they thought he was just too small, a late bloomer, and would grow out of his issues as he aged. They did not think he looked Autistic, as he could smile and giggle, yet he was. To this day, at age five, he has not developed much, but is still at 1.5 year level for most things.

Yes precisely what I'm talking about! Thanks for drawing it to my attention. I might print it out and take it with me to my next appointment....... alongside the sheaf of other data I have now collected He'll probably take one look at it all and decide I'm OCD......even though I'm actually not!
Printing it out sounds like a good plan. Glad it could help!

You might also want to read the threads on mental health, misdiagnosis and mental hospital here (there are a few, and I wouldn't have a specific one on hand to link, but if you run a quick search in the search box, you should be able to retrieve significant results), which could probably help you build a stronger argument.

My deal (diagnosis) was so different. I went in the ER thinking it was a heart attack scared to death, but not understanding how a 5'8" 170 lb, in reasonably good shape guy, who eats decent could be having this... It wasn't. It was a severe panic attack. This happened 3 times and they asked me some questions and found me to also struggling with depression. I was referred and then later after they had evaluated me and tested me, I was trying to talk them out of diagnosing me with ASD.

I actually got more depressed at that point, but after I calmed down and it all started to sink in... It started answering all these questions I have had all my life... However it didn't help me fix my life. If anything it made it a little more complicated. My wife actually got angry and still refuses that I have it. It offended her as if she had married something non-human. Autism for a guy in the dirty south... I think I would be better off coming out as gay, then with ASD. I wish I knew why it seems so offensive to people in this region. I'm still the same guy I was, and after lots of therapy I can control some stuff better than I used too, or at least I know what it is, and have learned some of the triggers and stuff like that.

People here just seem to cringe if the word Autism is even mentioned. And they will make some very nasty remarks that hurt. I guess I do understand how some of the minorities have felt, but I don't think we can go protesting in an NT charged environment and accomplish much more than making fools of ourselves.

Anyway... Good luck on your diagnosis if that is what your seeking. If you have it they will ask the right questions to find it...

If your doctor 'assured' you that you didn't have it....

I wonder if he was doing his NT patient care thing that would work with most people (and he would do subconsciously with everyone)

Ie re-assurance for those who are ill.
Caring talk
Break it to you gently.
Oh you'll be fine, not to worry

That kind of thing. In your case.. the opposite applies.. you don't need his standard script but opinion.
Mind you bring this up, he'll likely deny it (it being subconscious anyway) then be annoyed with you (then deny that)

So this wasnt helpful in any respect :)

Maybe it helps,you categorise your doctors NT ailments in terms of ASD patient care...

My deal (diagnosis) was so different. I went in the ER thinking it was a heart attack scared to death, but not understanding how a 5'8" 170 lb, in reasonably good shape guy, who eats decent could be having this... It wasn't. It was a severe panic attack. This happened 3 times and they asked me some questions and found me to also struggling with depression. I was referred and then later after they had evaluated me and tested me, I was trying to talk them out of diagnosing me with ASD.

I actually got more depressed at that point, but after I calmed down and it all started to sink in... It started answering all these questions I have had all my life... However it didn't help me fix my life. If anything it made it a little more complicated. My wife actually got angry and still refuses that I have it. It offended her as if she had married something non-human. Autism for a guy in the dirty south... I think I would be better off coming out as gay, then with ASD. I wish I knew why it seems so offensive to people in this region. I'm still the same guy I was, and after lots of therapy I can control some stuff better than I used too, or at least I know what it is, and have learned some of the triggers and stuff like that.

People here just seem to cringe if the word Autism is even mentioned. And they will make some very nasty remarks that hurt. I guess I do understand how some of the minorities have felt, but I don't think we can go protesting in an NT charged environment and accomplish much more than making fools of ourselves.

Anyway... Good luck on your diagnosis if that is what your seeking. If you have it they will ask the right questions to find it...

Did a quick read, they found you juggling.

Read it again, struggling.

You seem to be a heart on a sleeve type of guy - in written form -on here at least.
It's a shame that you express misery so well. Not a shame you have a talent for expression but that these ignorant people have given you so much material.

For me, you have made a significantly positive contribution to this board in a very short time.
That's something to be proud of, in my opinion.

Everything I've read and heard tells me women with AS experience much more difficulty getting a diagnosis than men. Especially women like me who have managed to 'appear' to be highly functional for such a long time. I got very adept at hiding my meltdowns from people and moving on to a new job or new place every time things got tricky.
I do understand your reaction to being told you had AS because I had very mixed emotions when I realised I probably had it. On the one hand it explained a lifetime of questions with no answers but......... on the other hand it felt like s*#t another defect to add to the list! (No offence to anyone here). It also made me start second guessing myself about things I thought I understood, but maybe didn't.
It was only after I got such a negative reaction from the know-it-all doctor that I realised I really DO want a definitive diagnosis even if it's only so I don't have to put up with that kind of reaction from anyone else.
I have read some of your other posts about your relationship with your wife and ........ I hate to say this........... but it reminds me very much of my parents relationship. I'm almost certain my Dad had AS, but that's something we'll never know since he died 13 years ago.........but I'm sure my mother has narcissistic personality disorder. She refuses to recognise ANY mental health issues in our family as she only sees things in relation to her. She won't have anything that reflects badly (in her mind) on her. And she tried to control EVERYTHING my Dad did. He was no pushover, but in the end he usually bowed under the weight of the stress caused in trying to fight her. But they just fought constantly. I look back on my childhood as like living in a war zone. His anger and her nagging. In saying that though, he always seemed so happy to have her back if she went away for any period of time. I never understood it, but it makes a lot more sense to me now I understand what was going on for both of them. I hope you don't mind me telling you that.

New Threads

Top Bottom