• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"The spoon treatment"...?!

I'm currently studying cutleryology, a branch of Kitchen Utensil therapy.
I've just passed the modules on using spoons and forks to cure various foot fungi.
Mastering the spork is proving a little tricky though.

Spoon Theory always makes me think of the bald kid in The Matrix.

"There is no spoon" indeed, not after social interaction anyhow.

I'm currently studying cutleryology, a branch of Kitchen Utensil therapy.
I've just passed the modules on using spoons and forks to cure various foot fungi.
Mastering the spork is proving a little tricky though.

Maybe because cutleryology was first used in Ancient Egypt and, only the Pharaoh was permitted a spork so, to use it properly, you must channel one of the ancient Pharaohs. :p

What gives me hope is that I am seeing an increasing number of vocal NT allies out in the world. They may not always have a perfect understanding, but they are well-intentioned, intelligent, and open to being educated. Besides a couple of fellow Aspies in my classes, there's a couple of parents with kids on the spectrum...one of them (who seems really cool and I need to get to know her better) sported a "Neurodiversity" t-shirt that I complimented her on. It's a refreshing antidote to a lot of the idiocy that comes from people who are well-intentioned but just completely ignorant and closed-minded.

True wyverary and, those of us that are able, meaning those of us that can talk to these NTs without overloading ourselves need to step up and talk with them, help clear some of the misconceptions and, allow them to know someone on the spectrum as a person, not just a nameless, faceless thing with ASD.

It's hard for us as a community to reach out but, that is the one thing that can change the lack of awareness and misconceptions one person, one voice at a time and, it's the one thing each one of us can do in some way. Even if that's just writing a blog, an article, a note to a friend etc...

I'm not sure I understand how a parent could be driven to trying something as odd as "Spoon treatment".
Do you think that maybe people are being manipulated and pressured into these things?

I'm not sure I understand how a parent could be driven to trying something as odd as "Spoon treatment".
Do you think that maybe people are being manipulated and pressured into these things?

Same as when people try homeopathy, I guess. They want to believe in magic, but think sci-fi magic is more plausible than fantasy-magic. It's not like McCarthy tried it on herself, she had people do it to her son.

People will try almost anything to cure something they see as a lifelong or terminal illness. When conventional means fail, they turn to more and more bizarre treatments. Apparently she thinks her son needs to be cured - misguided and I hope she doesn't try anything that harms the boy.

First of all, forgive me if this thread is in the wrong section, or potentially triggering for some members. I create this thread out of legitimate confusion and curiosity, and would not want to interrupt the positive environment of this forum. I just want to stay on the safe side.

With that, the crux of my thread. I have another tab open of an article about Playboy model Jenny McCarthy. I'm sure some of you may know of her; unfortunately it appears to me that she's propagating blatant quackery and the silencing of the Autistic people. When I scanned the section of the article concerning her autism "activism", my disgust and concern was interrupted by a genuine "WTF" moment.

"In addition to conventional, intensive Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) therapy, McCarthy tried for her son a gluten-free and casein-free diet, hyperbaric oxygen chambers, chelation, aromatherapies, electromagnetics, spoons rubbed on his body, multivitamin therapy, B-12 shots, and numerous prescription drugs."

Umm... what. all of these "treatments" are troubling and cringe-worthy, but this spoon treatment almost made me laugh out loud. That's just bizarre; it reminds me of something straight out of the doctrine of Scientology. (Or at least something that a mother in the 19th century would do.) I had never heard of this being used.

Interestingly, I follow some autism advocacy blogs on Tumblr and vaguely recall them reblogging a post from (what I assume to be) the parent of a child on the spectrum regarding how they're "all out of spoons" or something to that effect. A connection instantly fired off in my head. I have a number of questions.

What I want to know, first of all, is the exact nature of this treatment and the mechanism by which it intends to "treat" autism. I'm just taking a wild guess here, but could it be that the kid is freaking out and the spoon rubbing against his skin is some kind of sensory / psychological calming agent for him?

Secondly, how prevalent is this technique? Perhaps some people could share some stories of this technique used on them by their parents or caretakers, and the effect it had.

In addition, where did this originate from? Was it written in a "Parenting of Kids With Autism for Dummies" book somewhere (or obscure farmer's almanac for that matter...), did it originate on some random parenting forum, or (by some odd chance) does it have some empirical, clinical credibility?

And finally. Why in the world does it have to be a spoon? For all I care, you could just give the kid a blanket or cuddle him if he wanted to.

I'd like to close with this statement. Autism can not, and should not be "cured", because that implies the eradication of the condition entirely; which includes all the passions, quirks and nuances that separate people on the spectrum with neurotypicals. Instead, I firmly believe that the most effective "treatment" for the behavioral complications that arise from autism are equipping the child with the capacity to express his or her needs in a clear manner, and, above all else, listening to them.

What a radical idea! Trying to get to the bottom of the problem, taking the affected party's feelings and experience into account, and improving the situation. Human worth and dignity can, and should be recognized.

If you made it this far, thank you all for putting up with all my wordy rambling. I hope you got something out of this post, and I look forward to your responses.
"Cringe Worthy"???

You sound like many physicians I have been to.

I have lived with gluten sensitivity my entire life. How do I know that? Not because I was tested for it and advised to avoid it, but because I thought I try it and see if I was. Guess what. I am. By day 3, my chest phlegm started to clear and by day 7, twas totally gone. When I stopped gluten, I WEIGHED 203. 3 mo later, was down to 180 and the only diet change was removing gluten & dairy. Also, while still early, my lifelong irritability & depression are greatly reduced.

Now I know my "alien" biology is totally different from everyone else's on the planet and therefore this so called gluten & dairy sensitivities are only something I dreamed up and only I struggle with, but I'm sure glad I started my gluten & dairy free diet.

You, on the other hand, just keep listening to them doctors your going to. They'll have you on pills the rest of your life.

I don't think that anyone's saying that gluten sensitivity doesn't exist. The problem is when gluten sensitivity is used as an explanation for everything that's wrong in people who don't even have gluten sensitivity.

My step-mother and brother-in-law both have celiac disease. They do not, however, have other food issues that make them unable to eat certain things. And they are adults and can take responsibility for not becoming malnourished themselves.

"Cringe Worthy"???

I have lived with gluten sensitivity my entire life. How do I know that? Not because I was tested for it and advised to avoid it, but because I thought I try it and see if I was. Guess what. I am. By day 3, my chest phlegm started to clear and by day 7, twas totally gone. When I stopped gluten, I WEIGHED 203. 3 mo later, was down to 180 and the only diet change was removing gluten & dairy. Also, while still early, my lifelong irritability & depression are greatly reduced.

Now I know my "alien" biology is totally different from everyone else's on the planet and therefore this so called gluten & dairy sensitivities are only something I dreamed up and only I struggle with, but I'm sure glad I started my gluten & dairy free diet.

You, on the other hand, just keep listening to them doctors your going to. They'll have you on pills the rest of your life.
I really think you misunderstood the original post.
NotImportant didn't say that people with gluten sensitivity or celiac disease don't exist.

The problem is that the quote he used, listed gluten-free and casein-free diets together with more bizarre forms of "treatment." When NotImportant made is "cringe-worthy" remark, he was referring to the overall "treatment" of that kid. He didn't really mean (I think) that every single one of the things on the list is ridiculous for every person.

Some of the things on the list in that quotation are simply ridiculous, such the spoons rubbed over the kid's body. That is the treatment that NotImportant chose to highlight and discuss at greater length. Other things on that list are things that are beneficial for some persons, but not for others. For instance, the vitamin B12 shots would be helpful to someone with a vitamin B12 deficiency, but wouldn't help someone without a vitamin B 12 deficiency. (Most of us in First World countries get plenty of that vitamin).
You do indeed have a gluten sensitivity. But not everyone does. I weigh 115 pounds, am in a consistently good mood, and eat tons of gluten. The problem isn't in recognising that some persons do have gluten sensitivity. The problem is in assuming that every autistic person automatically needs to avoid it. (You didn't say that every autistic person needs to avoid it. But there are some people who do say that).

I think though, that NotImportant's point wasn't so much that the treatments themselves are bad. The thing he was really trying to say was bad (If I understand you correctly, NotImportant), is the overall attitude, of "we must try all sorts of experimental treatments in order to cure autism because autism is evil".

"Cringe Worthy"???

I'm going to word this as nicely as I can given the circumstances.

With all due respect, you seem to be missing the whole point of this thread. My post was not an attack on or intentional act of insensitivity toward people with gluten sensitivities, as you interpreted it. In reality the original post of this thread made mention of gluten-free diets maybe once, and even that was in a quote that was used in a way to reflect a concern I had which had nothing to do with gluten-free diets.

Of course I respect and acknowledge the reality of gluten sensitivities in people's bodies. I have known people in real life who were allergic to gluten, even. To say that I would deny the existence of their conditions is to say I'm blatantly ignoring reality - which is the exact thing that these anti-Autistic eugenics practitioners (the ones I mentioned in this thread) have built their careers on.

Thank you for understanding.

New Threads

Top Bottom