• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Recipe Thread

Warmheart

Something nerdy this way comes
V.I.P Member
Got a great recipe? :) Something you love making, or a recipe people request of you? Feel free to share your favorite recipes here. They can be simple or complex, sweet or savory. Enjoy!

Here's a super-simple one, not requiring fancy executive functioning skills or even turning on an oven.

My German family's breakfast:

1 apple
1.5 cups Greek yogurt, plain or vanilla
muesli, sweetened or unsweetened variety

Chop up an apple :redapple: into 1/2" chunks, place in cereal bowl.
Add generous dollop of Greek yogurt.
Cover with a sprinkle of muesli. :stew:
You can use other fruit, too.

images

Enjoy!

Ooh, this could be fun... I made this one recipe, once. It was really good, but I can remember exactly how I did it?

It involved a cup of peanut butter, curry paste, onions, carnation milk, cayenne pepper, and chicken. As well as a bunch of other ingredients. It was a peanut soup of sorts, I found it online but remember having to supplement a lot of the ingredients.

This is from my ex-girlfriend. Her sons love when she makes this one. I've made it a couple times myself.

Ingredients:

3 or 4 large (depending on the size,) frozen chicken breasts
16oz or larger bottle of Buffalo wing sauce (The thinker stuff.)
Large packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing mix
Water
Large crock pot

Steps:
Place the chicken breasts in the crock pot
Pour in all of the Buffalo wing sauce
Add enough water to just cover the chicken
Cook on low for 4 hours
Cook on high for an additional 2 hours
Serve right away or refrigerate for later

The chicken will come out fully flavored and falling apart. which means easily shred-able. It's good to use on salads, as the main meat in a meal, on sandwiches and probably more. I've typically had mine as the protein with broccoli on the side, and then a little ranch dressing on both.

My OTHER favorite recipe:
Make coffee
Add sugar
Add French Vanilla creamer
Enjoy
Repeat till you have the shakes

Mmmm, the crockpot chicken with BBQ and ranch sounds delicious! Ok, gotta get a crockpot! :D

Crockpot cooking may be easy, even if someone has functional issues. Most crockpot recipes are basically, "dump these four ingredients in, turn it on, wait a few hours, eat." A rump roast, canned potatoes, baby carrots, beef soup and some water make a decent roast meal.

Not to brag, but I happen to be in possession of the best waffle recipe in the world ! The secret, (as you’re about to find out) is in the separation of the egg yolks & egg whites and the beating of those egg whites into a meringue-like fluffiness that translates into the lightest, fluffiest waffles you’ve ever had. If you do it right, they’ll be so light you will need syrup just to weigh them down from floating right off your plate!

waffles.jpg

Then, for added effect, play this when serving to guests and hold your head up high for making such damn fine waffles in the morning.......

Last edited:
Okay, my Prime Rib recipe.

You need:
1 Prime Rib roast (1 rib per two people but, no smaller than three ribs - it won't cook right if it's too small) *ideas for leftovers later in this post*
1 stick of butter and, it has to be real dairy butter, not margarine.
1 tsp of Kosher or flake salt per rib.
1/2 tsp black pepper per rib.
1/2 tsp minced or crushed garlic per rib.
2 cups water
Pan large enough to cook the roast in and, leave at least 1 inch od space on all sided of the roast.
Meat thermometer.

Preheat oven to 400 F

Mix 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and, 1 tsp garlic with all of the butter. Place the roast in the pan and rub half of the butter on each end of the roast so that only half of each end rib is coated in butter.

Mix the rest of the salt, pepper and garlic and rub that evenly over the rest of the roast.

Put the water into the bottom of the pan, be careful not to rinse the seasoning off the roast.

Bake the roast in the 400 F oven, checking the temperature in the center of the roast (yes the very center in all directions) after 30 mins, then every ten minutes after that. When the thermometer reads 137 to 139 F, take the roast out of the oven and remove it from the pan.

For the Au Jus you need:
2 cups water
2 tsp Beef Base (Better than Bouillon is one brand)
2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Corn Starch

Put all of this in the roasting pan, scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan and, make sure the corn starch is mixed in well. Pour all of it into a sauce pan and bring to a low boil stirring constantly. Put the Au Jus in a serving dish.

Now you can carve (slice) the roast. Carefully cut it off the bones first, then slice into serving size pieces. The ends will be medium to medium rare and, the center will be rare so, each guest can have what they like. If someone does want it more done than that, you can quickly sear one slice in a non stick skillet to accommodate them.

For leftovers, all you need are good rolls. Slice the leftover meat thin, warm the Au Jus and put the slice meat in it to warm the meat, pile the meat in the rolls to make sandwiches, then dip them in the Au Jus - perfect French Dip Sandwiches.

Okay I know, that is a costly piece of meat but, such a lovely treat and, really not that difficult to cook properly. You just have to be precise about following the recipe and, we're good at that. :) Trust yourself, you won't waste the money that prime rib costs - it will be perfect.

*Note if no one likes rare beef, you can leave it in the oven until the thermometer reads 142 to 144 F, then medium rare is the least done it will be but, don't cook it more than that, pan sear individual slices if you must have it more well done.*

Cooked brown rice, crisp cold lettuce leaves, lemon wedges, minced parsley, capers, small can salmon, pepper.
Spoon desired quantity of brown rice over several lettuce leaves in a bowl. Scoop the salmon out of the can with a fork and place on rice along with parsley, capers and a squeeze of lemon. Sprinkle with ground pepper.
Just bought a case of canned salmon, wild caught. While it is pretty good by itself with herbs from the garden & a little lemon, I'd like to have one or two more recipes.

Cooked brown rice, crisp cold lettuce leaves, lemon wedges, minced parsley, capers, small can salmon, pepper.
Spoon desired quantity of brown rice over several lettuce leaves in a bowl. Scoop the salmon out of the can with a fork and place on rice along with parsley, capers and a squeeze of lemon. Sprinkle with ground pepper.
Just bought a case of canned salmon, wild caught. While it is pretty good by itself with herbs from the garden & a little lemon, I'd like to have one or two more recipes.
Sounds good wish I could chop food

Got a great recipe? :) Something you love making, or a recipe people request of you? Feel free to share your favorite recipes here. They can be simple or complex, sweet or savory. Enjoy!

Here's a super-simple one, not requiring fancy executive functioning skills or even turning on an oven.

My German family's breakfast:

1 apple
1.5 cups Greek yogurt, plain or vanilla
muesli, sweetened or unsweetened variety

Chop up an apple :redapple: into 1/2" chunks, place in cereal bowl.
Add generous dollop of Greek yogurt.
Cover with a sprinkle of muesli. :stew:
You can use other fruit, too.

images

Enjoy!
Umm You've made me think about alpen

Ooh, this could be fun... I made this one recipe, once. It was really good, but I can remember exactly how I did it?

It involved a cup of peanut butter, curry paste, onions, carnation milk, cayenne pepper, and chicken. As well as a bunch of other ingredients. It was a peanut soup of sorts, I found it online but remember having to supplement a lot of the ingredients.
Sounds like a recipe for chicken korma

The title is Indian peanut stew

Cold brewed tea, I've been drinking this all summer:D

1. Put in a pitcher or large jar:
  2. ADD TEA–Add 2-3 TBS of whole leaf or chamomile or mint, about 1.5× the typical amount.
  3. ADD WATER–Fill with cold, water, top with the lid.
  4. Refrigerate for 4-10 hours or overnight. Longer time extracts stronger flavor and more caffeine. White teas will brew the quickest, followed by green teas and twisted/flat oolongs, allow most time for rolled oolongs, pu-erhs, herbal infusions and black teas.
  5. SERVE–Strain and serve.
I've been using green tea, ginger, mint, or chamomile, sometimes dried dandelion, and or other herbs.

You can make a simple sugar syrup if you like to add to it. Or, I sometimes use a little liquid honey or use no sweetener at all. Find it actually tastes better than hot tea.

Last edited:
1 Serving
Prep Time: 5 Min
Ready In: 6 Min
Ingredients for Simple Turmeric and Ginger Latte
  • 1 cup + 2 tbsp of milk or milk alternative of your choice (almond, organic soy, cashew milk)
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
  • 1 tsp fresh turmeric, peeled and minced
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
  • dash of sea salt
Method For Simple Turmeric and Ginger Latte Simple Turmeric Ginger Latte
  1. Heat the milk or milk alternative in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring it just before the boiling point. You shouldn’t see bubbles forming, but instead some small movement in the liquid. Remove from heat.
  2. Add the ginger, turmeric, coconut oil, honey or maple syrup and the salt into a small blender (I use a Nutri Bullet but a Magic Bullet would work just fine). Add 2 tbsp of milk to help the mixture blend better. Blend the mixture until the ginger and turmeric make a nice liquid puree.
  3. Next add the warmed milk to the blender. Blend for 5 seconds or less, no longer because the warmed liquid will create a negative pressure and the lid of the blender will be difficult to remove.
  4. When you pour the drink, a nice foam should form on the top layer. Taste and adjust for sweetness.

I used a little green tea powder in this as well. Also put in a little black pepper. I heated the almond milk and poured it into a 4 cup measure along with all the other ingredients. Then I used an immersion blender to mix it all. It was foamy and green:cool: A little on the spicy side. But good.

Note: Preparation time is longer than 5 minutes. To peel the ginger root and turmeric root and then grate it on a kitchen microplane took ten minutes.

remember the Ron-Co chicken rotisserie shows?

my cooking follows the same principal of Set It and Forget It

KISS Chicken
Shake-n-bake chicken (make it lol)
tex-mati rice... half way thru the microwave add a can or 2 of Cream of Mushroom soup

---------
Chocolate Cheesecake

(i dont do pie shells, so i buy them premade)

in a mixer (i use a quisinart)

2 packages of philadelphia cream cheese (rectangular ones)
1/3 cup of cocoa
1 1/2 cups of sugar
2 tablespoons of vanilla
mix well... before ending add
2 eggs (said slightly beaten but dont know fi that makes a difference)

* i usually add chopped or pieces of walnuts in bottom of pie shell before i add mix

pour into pie shell and cook at 350 til middle of pie is cracked,

pull out and let cool

for a topping i use
Sour Cream
sugar
vanilla

mix to taste

spread over finished pie

--------

recently got a Piri Piri (or Peri Peri) meat topping, that we were supposed to wait 6 weeks for it to mix well together... we waited 2 before we used it before we started using it on everything.

if wanted let me know and ill add it

this makes a very THICK sauce

now this recipe was for meat, but i tried it on chips ... wasnt bad!
----------

what i changed

i had to change some things because some were dificult to find here, or no idea what was exactly meant

bbq sauce for bbq spice (had no idea what ron meant for that but thats what i did)

2.5 lime juice for lemons.... i had bought lemons but someone had thrown them out

mixed herbs.... um lol dont remember the other 2 but i did use lemon pepper... he probably meant fresh stuff but....

poblanos (usually mild) for the red chilies (some can be hot)...

ginger i used about 3-4 inches of ginger root

after Jamaica and their Scotch Bonnet/habeneros i personally stay away from spicey foods

this sauce can be as hot as you can stand

this is a recipe i got from a friend for some good chicken... it has Mozambique and Portugese roots...

He says here to puree the ingredients and let sit for 6 weeks before using.

another recipe also says to let the chicken marinate for 4 hours.

Piri Piri

Per litre of concentrate

Red Chillies 300-350 grams
Olive Oil (extra virgin) 350ml
Vinegar (white) 150ml
Garlic 1 whole bulb
Ginger (fresh root) 1/3 of garlic
Barbecue Spice 8 tsp
Mixed Herbs 3-4 tsp
Lemon Juice of 1 whole lemon
Salt 1 tsp
Pepper (black) 1 tsp
Sugar 1 tsp

Cut stalk off and use whole chillies.....to make a milder version, split the chillies and remove some seeds (they contain the majority of the capsaicin).....but remember that the extra olive oil added at cooking time will also reduce the heat dramatically.

Blend all ingredients together until fine.

When using, mix required amount of concentrate with extra olive oil to thin it down for basting purposes.

If doing chicken, squeeze fresh lemon juice over once cooked.

Best to store in jar for about 6 weeks before using to allow flavours to develop.

New Threads

Top Bottom