• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The physical fitness thread

Hmmm. Muscle soreness after working out means I should take rest days in between workouts, so the muscles can build up effectively. I haven't the ability to work different muscle groups different days. My mind doesn't work
Ike that. But, now I know to just stretch, walk, swim on some days, save the resistance band and push-ups for an alternate day if possible. I'm learning.

Well I had a medical check up the week before last, and I've actually lost half a stone, gone down from weight of just over 15 stone (about 213 lbs) to 206 lbs (1 lb over cruiser weight if I was a wrestler), and I might've lost more since as I've been going for half hour walks every night with Dad in a local Park, plus training in Tae Kwon Do twice last week, Sunday and Friday.

And last Friday night I did the best flying jump kick I've done for years, I was quite proud of myself for that :D

I am swimming every weekday, at 8 am, for 40 mins, four styles. I love being inside the water, and it's the only exercise that helps me sleep better.

Hmmm. Muscle soreness after working out means I should take rest days in between workouts, so the muscles can build up effectively. I haven't the ability to work different muscle groups different days. My mind doesn't work
Ike that. But, now I know to just stretch, walk, swim on some days, save the resistance band and push-ups for an alternate day if possible. I'm learning.
Listening to your body is important. You get injuries from "under-resting" more than from "over-working".

Same here Sportster, I want toning. Have a treadmill and step machine that I use in the winter for cardio but my upper body needs the most work. Situps and pushups and maybe using some of my heavier weights.

I just walk a lot but have never measured my distance, just watch me in action with my camera at a local festival or just simply doing some street photography, I feel it's quite active, different than going to a gym.

Also this summer I've been getting a little into bicycling as I have time using a vintage 1950 bike! A new acquisition for me.

Don't discount it; walking is actually great for you. My father keeps fit by walking every day, no matter what, whether it's -40 or +40, he goes. He's getting old, and he's outliving a lot of friends.

I remember a doctor did a video and he said something like: if there's one thing I can recommend to help _anyone_ with _any_ ailment, it's to go walking. It wont fix all your ailments, and it won't even fix one ailment completely, however it will always make life better for you.

Or go to your gym or get on your bike. Do what you like and regularly. You'll feel better and live better.

As for me, I've been going to a gym of some sort for... about the last 30 years or so? I work in an office, so it's needed badly. :)

Currently I do tread mill running for 20 minutes to warm up. This is better than an actual running track because I can pace myself electronically. I can't seem to do this properly myself. With the machine, I can tell if I'm having an off day, am sick, etc. Being an aspie results in a lot of stress and some off days.

This is followed by stretching and 40 minutes of free weights. The free weights have been great. The best thing lately (keep trying new exercises) has been the "crunch chair" where you put some weight on and you sit on it, grab the handles, and do some abdominal crunches. I thought I had very strong abdominals already, since I can do hundreds of crunches. But this machine has been wonderful; now after using it, my back pain has gone away. It seems that maybe things were out of balance? In other words my back was stronger than my abdominals. Weird. I'm not an expert in kinestheology, however it worked well. Similarly, I had pain on the back of my shoulder, so I concentrated on bench press, and the pain went away.

My goal: keep it up twice a week. Going to the gym actually releases some stress too. :D

Stretch goal: when can I up this to 3 times a week?

Don't discount it; walking is actually great for you. My father keeps fit by walking every day, no matter what, whether it's -40 or +40, he goes. He's getting old, and he's outliving a lot of friends.

I remember a doctor did a video and he said something like: if there's one thing I can recommend to help _anyone_ with _any_ ailment, it's to go walking. It wont fix all your ailments, and it won't even fix one ailment completely, however it will always make life better for you.

Or go to your gym or get on your bike. Do what you like and regularly. You'll feel better and live better.

There was an article on the News last week saying a 10 minute walk every day can actually reduce or even cure type 2 Diabetes.

I just ran a marathon after work today.

For some, the day they run a marathon is a cause for celebration and a milestone in their life.

But for me, it was Tuesday. :smilingimp:

Well with the grading coming up at the beginning of October (I think), I'm tempted to go to extra Taekwondo later, Mr Shillabeer said last week that from last Wednesday the sessions would be 7 while 8 for ALL seniors, which in theory means I could go till 8, come back Home, have a quick shower and still go and pick my Uncle and friends up with Dad for the Pub quiz.

But Dad says no, it's too rushy.

Oh well, I might train in Crookes on Friday again, went last week cos Mr Shillabeer was on Holiday Bank Holiday weekend.

Well with the grading coming up at the beginning of October (I think), I'm tempted to go to extra Taekwondo later, Mr Shillabeer said last week that from last Wednesday the sessions would be 7 while 8 for ALL seniors, which in theory means I could go till 8, come back Home, have a quick shower and still go and pick my Uncle and friends up with Dad for the Pub quiz.

But Dad says no, it's too rushy.

Oh well, I might train in Crookes on Friday again, went last week cos Mr Shillabeer was on Holiday Bank Holiday weekend.

Yeah Rich, go! The extra training always helps.

Maybe go to the class early and practice by yourself before the class? I find even a few minutes each day helps, and then you're much better at grading time. :)

In July last year I joined a free gym at my workplace, and by February my weight had gone from 67kg to 59kg - the lightest I'd ever been for over a decade. This was achieved through a combination of a one-weekly gym visit, a routine focusing on my core muscles, a modified LCHF diet and a Fitbit. As with the previous time I'd lost a lot of weight (when I shed 11kg in my early 30s) I was (and am) rather underwhelmed by the effect of these endorphin thingies in other areas of my life. My employment contract was not extended beyond mid-March and I've been unemployed for nearly six months now - so much for "mens sana in corpore sana". I had four colds between October and February.
sick.gif
It's over two years since my last relationship ended and I'm not aware of any increased interest from men, but that could be because I've been too overdrawn to splash out on new clothes.

At the time my employment contract came to an end, both the two nearest leisure centres run by my local authority were closed for refurbishment. So I looked around and ended up paying upfront for six months' membership of a branch of Freedom Fitness. I've generally managed to go there once a week. I've been given a routine consisting of stints on treadmill, cross-trainer, rowing machine, lat pull-down and chess press. Sometimes I also attend classes: "Active Plus" for strength / toning, "Body Balance" for mind / body training or "Aqua Fit".

I haven't been that conscientious about weighing myself, but I'm not aware of my waistline having altered.

I just ordered some free weights, 3lb, 5lb, and 8lb. They won't arrive until the end of the month, but that's ok.

With the push-ups and resistance band, my body is changing. Pectorals, deltoid, maybe a little change in biceps? I'm not sure the names. This is exciting but also scary, simply because it is new, a change, and involves my body.

It will be a few months before I can get an OT's letter saying I would benefit from a pull-up bar in my bedroom doorway, so that my apartment maintainemce man can install the pull-up bar. I'm so eager to begin pull-ups, I'm tweaking my diet to avoid processed snacks and eat much healthier. Yeah!

Core strengthening and stretching really are a regular thing for me now. Im actually enjoying this! I'm feeling much better overall since taking my fitness as an interest!

I love to run, but I also have severe upper respiratory asthma. You can hear me wheeze as I go by...but I'm lapping everyone on the couch!

I have severe hyperactivity. i run 2 hrs am no matter what. Then gym for between 2-4 hours depending if the days sucks serious sht.

I read a lot on the weight benches and machines if no one is waiting. Most think i am nuts but they are nice. I also got cred cuz i did 135 pullups (straight arm) in one and half hours. Had to go to dr next day but i did it.

Calmed down some. My gym is 24 hrs. Never went @ 3 am yet :)

Someone near me on Helpfulpeeps is looking for a gym buddy. Is this something anyone here has experience of? I'm not sure I'd want to be restricted to only attending a gym at the same time as someone else.

New Threads

Top Bottom