• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Figure of Speech That You Dislike The Most

Oh man...I'm so busted! I love that song! I've never thought of the words she sings, just that it sounded good to me & she has a cute voice. What I dislike is when someone says it in an uncaring way, kinda standoffish? The translation I hear is "stop your whining, whatever doesn't kill ya makes you stronger. Now SNAP out of it!" :unsure:

So did the Kelly Clarkson song of the same title make you really insane? Just wondering because it's played CONSTANTLY!

I see. The tone of Kelly's song is not even close to the belittling tone of the "snap out of it" vibe you feel from the phrase. The song is a happy song, not one that bashes people in an uncaring manner.

I just checked out her facial features-her eyes, facial structure, lips, nose & forehead tell me a lot-she's an intelligent person. I don't have cable so only watch tv [I know...but I have a lot of movies...] at my female friends house. Plus I see the name Kelly Clarkson on the internet news. I would judge her to be a good person.

Thanks to my ex-wife for teaching me face reading :unsure:;) [which her mom and grandmother taught her.]

"Mines" instead of "mine".

MINES ARE EXPLOSIVE DEVICES DEPLOYED BY THE MILITARY YOU STU-

Ahem... Just improper grammar and pronunciation in general. A friend at work gets mad when people refer to a stationary object and say, "There it goes!"

I also don't like it when people say "Would it be possible if you could do X?" or something along those lines. Unless you are asking for me to do something that defies the laws of physics, the answer is probably yes.

How about:

"You might want to... (insert whatever command / instruction is coming next here)."

"No man is an island."

I get it what John Donne meant by this, but let's face it. Human differs quite a lot from bunch of rocks.

How about:

"You might want to... (insert whatever command / instruction is coming next here)."

Something similar to that one used to cause me a lot of confusion. When I was 13 and it was my turn to give my English speech to the class, my teacher said, "Christian, would you like to get up and present?"

I wasn't sure if she was giving me the option - I did not particularly want to get up and present - or if she was just being polite. Fortunately, she knew I was an aspie so when I expressed my confusion she quickly apologised and said instead, "please get up and do your speech."

I don't see anything wrong with just using an imperative sentence (command) and saying "please," (although, please is a shortening of "if it please you", and I can't exactly say that it pleased me to stand up there and start delivering the speech, but, as always, I was fine once I got going.)

WIGGLE ROOM!!!!!! It is a lame substitution for a clearer or more sophisticated word and anyone who uses it is inarticulate. When I place a bid on a 3.5 million dollar house I don't want to wiggle, I want to negotiate! Worms wiggle!

"No man is an island."

I get it what John Donne meant by this, but let's face it. Human differs quite a lot from bunch of rocks.

I second this for another reason: in my experience, it's a phrase often trotted out by unsympathetic extroverts, clueless codependents, and other slaves to the wheel of social obligation in order to invite those of us who are less socially inclined to feel bad about our way of being -- in short, using cheap, pseudo-intellectual shorthand to suggest that it's an invalid approach to be aloof and/or place too much value on independence and personal space. Boo to that, say I. :cool2: Some of us, by our deepest natures, truly want and need to maintain a greater distance from the influence of others that allows for much-needed peace of mind and supports the preservation of uncompromised individuality and strong, healthy boundaries. (Henry David Thoreau is the quintessential example of this.)

I get furious when someone says You should get out of your comfort zone (or They should get out of their comfort zone).

After all, being in my comfort zone for much of the time keeps me sane - and I suspect it's the same for many on the spectrum.

And, anyway, what business is it on anyone else?

I'm not sure if it's exactly a figure of speech, but I can't count the times my mother has told me:

"Why can't you just act normal?"

What IS normal, anyway :p

I'm not sure if it's exactly a figure of speech, but I can't count the times my mother has told me:

"Why can't you just act normal?"

What IS normal, anyway :p

I have found that people who use this statement often have a very narrow idea of what normal is. And there's often only little room for different perspective

One thing my daughter says because it's always followed by some sort of problem and always happens several times a night.

So we put her to bed, 10 minutes later she comes in the front room "By the way......" we sort out whatever the problem is and again she will come in "by the way...." it's just the way she draws it out really long and you just know something bad or cryptic is about to follow.

By the way there is a moth in my room = I want you to remove the moth right NOW
By the way my water fell over = I knocked my cup all over the floor and bed
By the way are the stars out = I want to see the stars and will complain when you tell me to go to bed
By the way my socks feel funny = I want to change my socks but I want you to do it for me (lots of complaining whilst we find the right pair)
By the way I heard a noise = I need you to find out exactly what the noise is
By the way Cassie(the dog) is in my room = I want you to make her leave
By the way there's a funny smell = Get rid of the smell with air freshener
By the way I can't find teddy = I need you to find teddy right NOW or I will cry
By the way something happend at school = A long time working out her cryptic clues and gestures as to what upset her at school

I never tell her not to say it or that it gets on my nerves but it really really does and it happens every single night. She even wrote it in a thank you letter, she was saying thank you to her "uncle Jonny & Quentin" for some signed books they sent her. The next paragraph said "By the way I am now 8, I will be in year 4 at school and I played Hortensia in the Matilda play"

That's another thing that annoys me mother in law calls everyone Aunt or Uncle, so Uncle Jonny and Uncle Quentin....uhm no great cousin + partner or something would be more accurate(I think, he's her grandad's cousin so what would that be?). Or Aunt Rosemary...nope wrong again that would be your lifelong friend and absolutely no relation whatsoever....I just find it weird.

when I was younger, and would ask what time it was, Dad, who was one of the biggest smartasses around, would reply, "Half past the monkey's arse, and a quarter past his tail."

I get furious when someone says You should get out of your comfort zone (or They should get out of their comfort zone).

After all, being in my comfort zone for much of the time keeps me sane - and I suspect it's the same for many on the spectrum.

I hate when people say that too! There's an actual quote about it by Neale Donald Walsch, "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone".
I personally don't agree with it. There's people who's "comfort zone" is doing things like sky diving and other extreme sports (which wouldn't be my comfort zone). What do those people do to get out of their comfort zone? Clean dishes? Vacuum or maybe watch tv for several hours? All those things would be considered normal comfort zones but to them they'd get antsy. We all have different comfort zones that aren't "normal" to others but there's nothing wrong with that! I feel alive and happy when I'm doing the things in my comfort zone, just like they feel alive and happy doing sky diving which is their comfort zone. The sad thing is you wouldn't see anyone say to a sky diver that they need to get out of their comfort zone, people only tell "boring" people to get out of their comfort zone. Even though we all live in our comfort zone, some just have more adventurous/exciting comfort zones than others.

Last edited:

I hate when people say that too! There's an actual quote about it by Neale Donald Walsch, "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone".
I personally don't agree with it. There's people who's "comfort zone" is doing things like sky diving and other extreme sports (which wouldn't be my comfort zone). What do those people do to get out of their comfort zone? Clean dishes? Vacuum or maybe watch tv for several hours? All those things would be considered normal comfort zones but to them they'd get antsy. We all have different comfort zones that aren't "normal" to others but there's nothing wrong with that! I feel alive and happy when I'm doing the things in my comfort zone, just like they feel alive and happy doing sky diving which is their comfort zone. The sad thing is you wouldn't see anyone say to a sky diver that they need to get out of their comfort zone, people only tell "boring" people to get out of their comfort zone. Even though we all live in our comfort zone, some just have more adventurous/exciting comfort zones than others.
My theory is that"you should get out of your comfort zone" is actually just a way of justifying things that making someone feel uncomfortable.
Normally, if person A. suggests something to person B and person B says "I'm not comfortable with that," then person A feels guilty. But if person A says "you should get out of your comfort zone", he/she has just shifted the dynamics, and now everyone feels that person B is the one who should feel guilty.

My theory is that"you should get out of your comfort zone" is actually just a way of justifying things that making someone feel uncomfortable.
Normally, if person A. suggests something to person B and person B says "I'm not comfortable with that," then person A feels guilty. But if person A says "you should get out of your comfort zone", he/she has just shifted the dynamics, and now everyone feels that person B is the one who should feel guilty.

I think that it's a way to get people to do things they don't want to do.

Here it is! I've been looking for this thread.

Another expression that's started to bother me recently is "no pun intended." If you said "no pun intended," you obviously realized the pun. Yet you didn't say something else instead, so you obviously intended for it to be a pun.

New Threads

Top Bottom