• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Figure of Speech That You Dislike The Most

Here it is! I've been looking for this thread.

Another expression that's started to bother me recently is "no pun intended." If you said "no pun intended," you obviously realized the pun. Yet you didn't say something else instead, so you obviously intended for it to be a pun.

Exactly. Whenever I use a pun I always do so on purpose.

"Treat others as you want to be treated."

To me, when urging me to socialize more, smile, make small talk and waste hours of my dwindling life forming and broadcasting sentences on topics I don't care about, among phony people who bore me to death.

You see, I am treating others as I want to be treated. I don't start conversations unless I have something substantive to say, then I'm done. I don't want to hear chit chat, so I don't spam people with it. I don't want to receive simian social face display, so I don't offer it. I prefer to be ignored unless there's a good reason to bother me, so I generally ignore others. I am most definitely observing the Golden Rule to the best of my ability, yet I am constantly judged as doing just the opposite.

And they wonder why I seem pissed off so often....

I hate it when people say "Literally". Like "I was literally standing there for 100 years until I got served" Well you don't show your age !
Literally ? Pfffft !!

or people who start with "With all due respect" and then proceed to disrespect you and run you down.

Definitely "no offense" or "not try into be racist/etc". I personally never preface any of my comments which is probably why I get called "a-hole" plenty. Since I don't preface mine it's sounds corny hearing people preface theirs all of the time.

This should probably go without saying, but I can't stand when people use mental health terms as figures of speech. Talking to yourself a lot doesn't make you schizophrenic. Being organized doesn't make you OCD. Being occasionally sad doesn't mean you're depressed. Using other people's conditions as jokes, however, makes you a jerk.

I hate it when people say "Literally". Like "I was literally standing there for 100 years until I got served" Well you don't show your age !
Literally ? Pfffft !!

I don't mind 'literally' when it's used properly … but 'literally' to mean 'figuratively' just shows them to be illiterate (oops, pardon the pun)!! Drives me UP A WALL (figuratively, of course). But even worse, lately I keep hearing something like LITT-ra-LY … so, using the opposite word and can't even pronounce it? Why do people seem so proud that they're illiterate? See also the thread where we debated variations on 'nuclear' … I can't make myself type that wrong thing again, but you know what I mean.

or people who start with "With all due respect" and then proceed to disrespect you and run you down.

When I say "with all due respect," I mean it literally … it's my way of saying that I won't afford someone more respect than they are due. I don't intend it to be taken as a positive thing, and I don't take it that way either.

"The exception that proves the rule."

What?
I hate how sometimes people will take an incident/example that is evidence against their view, and treat it almost as if it is evidence for their side.
For example, I read a commenter somewhere writing (don;t get too upset guys, this was just some nameless person on the internet) "aspies are like pitbulls. Some seem nice, but eventually they will bit you."
So, nameless person who wrote that comment, if an (AS) person or (pitbull) dog is obviously nice, you're just going to say "Ah, but you'll bite me eventually." There is no convincing some people.

I hate how sometimes people will take an incident/example that is evidence against their view, and treat it almost as if it is evidence for their side.
For example, I read a commenter somewhere writing (don;t get too upset guys, this was just some nameless person on the internet) "aspies are like pitbulls. Some seem nice, but eventually they will bit you."
So, nameless person who wrote that comment, if an (AS) person or (pitbull) dog is obviously nice, you're just going to say "Ah, but you'll bite me eventually." There is no convincing some people.

It always makes me giggle inside when someone trying to make a criticism describes themselves so accurately. It's just a shame they can't see the correlation.

"Ah, you see, but you do not observe." -Sherlock (definitely BBC but most likely all of them)

Most people are not intelligent enough to even think of original phrases or sentences. It is nice to listen to you guys, because the ones out there are soooooo below my level, hihi.

The problem with coming up with original phrases is that people try to correct me ... then I try to explain ... then I get that blank "like cows at a passing train" stare. Ugh.

I'm so glad to be here!!

Here's two:

"You don't have to thank me" when they are actually catering to their own self-centered desires, thinly veiled as 'help' to keep us from calling them out.

A selfish 'request' followed by "please and thank you". The "thank you" establishes their premise that we've already agreed when we haven't. If we don't reject their false premise then we must comply, not to would be 'rude'. Plainly stated, it's blatant emotional manipulation. I suppose I should be glad that they're saying 'please', but these people can't say one without the other due to their insecurities. I guess it's more acceptable to push people around than to show any vulnerability. Again, a thinly veiled attempt to keep us from calling them out.

One that drives me crazy is "oh, you shouldn't have." I mean, really? I do a nice thing for you, and your response is to tell me I was wrong to do it?

New Threads

Top Bottom