• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Big Bang Theory and its effect on the perception of Asperger's

Now that I think about, it seems to be that the presence of Amy Farrah Fowler actually presents a more balanced view when it comes to Asperger's. When she was first introduced she seemed to be purely Sheldon in female form, but then gradually she became more like the stereotypical girlfriend of an Aspie - yearning for more affection from him, cringing at his ignorance of neurotypical social rules, being annoyed at him for not showing her the social graces that she expects. She is also often a female stereotype, such as when she is determined to be Bernadette's maid of honour. She has still retained all of her Aspie-like quirks, though, and it looks as if the writers inadvertently showed that female Aspies can still have very much in common with other girls, and, I suppose, that Aspie relationships can still have the same issues as neurotypical relationships (albeit stereotypical ones, where the wrath of the girlfriend is like an explosive that can be set off at any time and by anything the boyfriend might say or do).

I get mad at the show from time to time when I feel it is poking fun at the AS community.
But overall, when it is not insulting, the show can be pretty funny.

I get mad at the show from time to time when I feel it is poking fun at the AS community.
But overall, when it is not insulting, the show can be pretty funny.

How can it poke fun at the AS community when no one in the show is Autistic?

"OCD was the topic of my thesis when I did my doctorate. I think that Sheldon would definitely be on the spectrum, as we say. I actually don’t think that I would give him the diagnosis of Asperger’s. I would give him Obsessive Compulsive probably moderate to severe, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, possibly Social Anxiety Disorder… but not pure Asperger’s as we know it.”

-Mayim Bialik, PhD Neuroscience, UCLA

I think though, we shouldn't, while obsessing over whether Sheldon presents a (negative?) stereotypical picture of ASDs, forget that each of the other characters presents some other (negative?) stereotype. I mean, how many NT women would want you to think that in reality they are all like Penny?

I think they are just taking aspergers to the extreme. I don't know anyone with aspergers who is as selfish and self absorbed as Sheldon. I'm dating one and she is not at all like him. Maybe a little like Amy though. Plus the whole not having sexual dsires thing gets me. I suppose star trek should consider spock to be on the spectrum if Sheldon is. He is more like spock, half human half whatever the other human species is that is not weekend by human emotions.

I think though, we shouldn't, while obsessing over whether Sheldon presents a (negative?) stereotypical picture of ASDs, forget that each of the other characters presents some other (negative?) stereotype. I mean, how many NT women would want you to think that in reality they are all like Penny?

Having caught up recently on a number of older episodes of this show, I have to concur with your observation. The writers really take Penny's character to task quite often in many episodes. And her boyfriends (except for Leonard) don't seem to escape the same fate either.

the more awerness the better

definitely. I love Sheldon. He makes me EVEN proudER to be an aspie.

funny, the show has just come on TV the second I've started typing this.

"sheldon cooper presents fun with flags"

on another hand, the newer episodes of the BBT aren't good....not just not that funny like the old episodes were, but Sheldon has become less "aspie" and more somewhat mainstream. I like the old Sheldon.

and we are all selfish...not talking us aspies - I mean everyone, both neurotypical and aspie. there's nothing wrong with some self-reflected parody. it's something to which we can relate, at least us highly-severe diagnosees such as myself.

hard to type this with one hand, since I'm holding my cat, so stopping here, sorry.

Last edited:
The shows good but i hate the effect it has. People now take Aspergers as a joke more than ever before. People just seem arrogant about the topic now and loads of people like to find similarities between themselves and sheldon. I just find is antagonising.

The Big Bang Theory is one of the most popular TV shows right now, and it features a stereotypical Aspie named Sheldon. The writers and the actor claim he isn't, but many viewers believe he is, and Asperger's is often mentioned along with the character when the show is mentioned.

So do you think this show has an effect on how we are perceived by others? Do you think we could be stereotyped due to this show? Or would you consider it a good thing, because it could raise awareness of Asperger's?

Oh gosh, that show is soooo funny. Sheldon is hilarious and the character shows such a good example of how intelligence is misjudged when it is connected to a condition. Despite the fact that the characters in this show all stem from immature young adults I love the intelligent bantering and discussions that the characters share in that show. It is just hilarious.

It's actually one of the few modern day shows I like, though I haven't seen a ton of episodes and don't know how old the ones I saw were. I don't think it's poking fun at any one type, but like posted earlier they're all stereotypes. And they all hold their own, they all have their strong points and they all get picked at here and there. If it was just last year and I didn't know anything about aspergers, I'd think the guys were just nerds or geeks.

About Penny being able to have her own apartment while the guys share a similar one, it sounds about right. I used to work at another engineering place with about 30-40 guys who were all extremely smart, many with aspie traits, and I fit in well. Many of them made a LOT of money but they knew how to work on their own vehicles, and they drove what most would call a junker but it was cheap and reliable and easy to work on. Exactly like I do. We put our money toward different things that we felt were important and didn't want to be in debt with car payments. That's how I see the apartment deal. The guys share one so they can save the most money, bank it, use it on their comic books and gadgets, whatever. They probably have zero debt to their name. Penny can afford the apartment and likes her independence, but like so many people she is probably in debt up to her knees with credit cards, etc.

I haven't watched Big Bang in a long time. The last time I watched it was when I went to DC (last October... don't remember). There's a marathon on TV in the hotel, so I just kept watching :D and personally I don't know if it makes any difference but maybe... it shows that even if you're on the spectrum you can be loved, can have friends and can be funny (and laughed at) the problem is... the laughter is not official though... it is still not appropriate to laugh at people with disabilities, and I think why not? maybe they should ask people with actual disabilities if and how they want to be portrayed in comedies... what are they so afraid of? anyway... I know I am a minority here but I still think Sheldon + Penny is a perfect couple :p perfectly insane :D

A little bit about disability laughter... again maybe I'll be the only one here... I don't know... you know we have lots of symptoms, we can have repetitive behaviors, we can have tantrums and meltdowns, we can be awkward and insane... I know, I can, my kids definitely can. I also know one thing, if you are going to take all this sh*t seriously, you may end up being miserable all the time... or most of the time... I learned how to laugh at all this early on, no matter how bad I think I feel, or no matter how crazy I think I am or appear to be, and I try to teach my kids to do the same thing. Why the hell not! :) why, if we have a disability, we should automatically take ourselves seriously? :) OK, I'm done :)

I haven't seen many of the more recent episodes, but from what I have seen, I'm not sure I can really say that it's either a purely positive or purely negative portrayal. On the one hand, I think that what BBT has done to promote awareness of Asperger's (whether intentionally or not) shouldn't be overlooked, and admittedly, I've had to laugh at some of Sheldon's antics because I can relate so well to them (for instance, having a certain non-negotiable "spot" that I have to sit in to watch TV, or having a script for friendly phone conversations). On the other hand, you're not ultimately supposed to relate to Sheldon; you're supposed to relate to the characters who find him unbearable. Sheldon's odd behavior, and as a result, Sheldon himself, ends up being the butt of most of the jokes, and his Asperger's is treated more as an exaggerated hijinks machine than an actual condition that actual people suffer from.

To contrast, I would agree with Biblio-Love that Community has a much more respectful portrayal of Asperger's in the character of Abed Nadir. It's made pretty clear that he's "different," and he does add considerable comedic benefit to the show, but it's through his personality, not his condition. There's practically none of the "let's point and laugh at the weirdo" trope that BBT tends to rely so heavily on, and the other characters in the show accept and genuinely like Abed, whereas Sheldon is often treated as a burden. Not to mention that there are a couple of Community's episodes in which the difficulties of Asperger's are explored with a fair amount of self-awareness and gravitas.

I myself love the BBT; especially Sheldon and Amy. I think it's a brilliantly written show, with both talented writers and cast members (which is a rare thing). It has much thought and insight, which actually promotes tolerance, and introduces the ideas of AS to those who don't know anything about it. It does this in a way that allows everyone to love, and accept, the characters; rather than judge, and avoid.

I can understand the writers not wanting to label AS, out of respect for the AS community. When I first learned about AS, and about the hidden relation it had to the show, I went back to watch it all from season one, to the latest season. I was actually quite impressed, and somewhat awed at the amount of thought, and details that the writers had included in to the subtle AS undertones.

In a world where some people may fear, or discriminate against the unknown, I'm happy there are shows such as this, which can teach others that we can just as easily be loved and accepted; despite all our quirks.

This show is very funny, however, never in my wildest imagination would I have thought that one day I would be forced to deal with the real whore of Omaha, which is exactly what happened.

This show is very funny, however, never in my wildest imagination would I have thought that one day I would be forced to deal with the real whore of Omaha, which is exactly what happened.
How do you mean?

(And I'm assuming you're referring to Penny as the "whore of Omaha," which, I won't lie, I find a little bit offensive.)

I haven't seen many of the more recent episodes, but from what I have seen, I'm not sure I can really say that it's either a purely positive or purely negative portrayal. On the one hand, I think that what BBT has done to promote awareness of Asperger's (whether intentionally or not) shouldn't be overlooked, and admittedly, I've had to laugh at some of Sheldon's antics because I can relate so well to them (for instance, having a certain non-negotiable "spot" that I have to sit in to watch TV, or having a script for friendly phone conversations). On the other hand, you're not ultimately supposed to relate to Sheldon; you're supposed to relate to the characters who find him unbearable. Sheldon's odd behavior, and as a result, Sheldon himself, ends up being the butt of most of the jokes, and his Asperger's is treated more as an exaggerated hijinks machine than an actual condition that actual people suffer from.

To contrast, I would agree with Biblio-Love that Community has a much more respectful portrayal of Asperger's in the character of Abed Nadir. It's made pretty clear that he's "different," and he does add considerable comedic benefit to the show, but it's through his personality, not his condition. There's practically none of the "let's point and laugh at the weirdo" trope that BBT tends to rely so heavily on, and the other characters in the show accept and genuinely like Abed, whereas Sheldon is often treated as a burden. Not to mention that there are a couple of Community's episodes in which the difficulties of Asperger's are explored with a fair amount of self-awareness and gravitas.
I agree. Sheldon just doesn't get his credit where credit is due. I find his character very encouraging and inspiring when he rolls out with antics that get me going hey I've done that! Then you see how the other characters react, and it gets kind of sad because you find yourself relating to that too...

Sheldon needs better friends...

How do you mean?

(And I'm assuming you're referring to Penny as the "whore of Omaha," which, I won't lie, I find a little bit offensive.)
It actually relates to a particular episode, involving one of Penny's "friends", who Sheldon actually provides the title to.

She shamelessly enters relationships on a whim, with many men, with the obvious expectation that they will buy her stuff in exchange. She has a fling with Howard for a little while, and breaks up with him only when Howard's mother threatens to cut him from her will, if he continues to see her.

I agree. Sheldon just doesn't get his credit where credit is due. I find his character very encouraging and inspiring when he rolls out with antics that get me going hey I've done that! Then you see how the other characters react, and it gets kind of sad because you find yourself relating to that too...

Sheldon needs better friends...

If you go through the seasons, you'll find that their friendships does become a lot better. I think the writers do this on purpose, to show us that tolerance can be something that needs to grow, and may not always happen instantly. People need time to adjust to things they aren't familiar with sometimes (which is not just for Sheldon's friends, but Sheldon himself adjusts to them as well).

There's actually an episode later, where Sheldon leaves, and they all realise that they miss him. Also, he seems to show his appreciation to them as friends from time to time. Makes you feel warm and fuzzy :)

New Threads

Top Bottom