• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Temporary Song Obsession

andrew-notfunny

survivor through the dark dumpsterfire
My brain needs a new song every week to listen to on repeat and also remember repeatedly and vividly again and again and again until I don't care anymore and I just move on to the next one after taking a break.
It's not just a (i guess NT) "I heard this song twice this week" thing, it is quite literally an obsession but without it lasting more than a week or two. I can listen to that same song three times on replay and still want to hear the slightly sped up AND then the slowed down versions and do this same thing multiple times a day for five days or something.
Do I hate doing this? No. I actually really enjoy doing this. It's just something that happened to me so many times and will keep happening so I might as well tell it here, see if anybody can relate.
I didn't notice this until I had to think about what my obsession is so I do think it is much rather an "interest" or maybe something like that, not a long term obsession (with one specific thing at least) but still... I am looked at as insufferable by NTs when I can only talk about one song for an hour.
Last song like this for me was Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. Why is that song so perfect for me? I just don't get it. But it is.
So yeah, that's what I noticed about myself. Is this specifically something Autistic or not? How relatable is it?
Hopefully no one gets annoyed by this thread or something. I'm not saying this is something unique to me only, okay?

I am not sure if this is an autism thing, as I've heard people talk of this "got a song stuck in my head" phenomenon multiple times from all sorts of people. I've also known people to get stuck on "their favorite song" and just have it on "repeat" multiple times throughout the day. I will go on a "kick" with my music playlists, for example, months, sometimes years can go by, then one day, all I am listening to is Queen, AC/DC, VanHalen, whatever.

My brain needs a new song every week to listen to on repeat and also remember repeatedly and vividly again and again and again until I don't care anymore and I just move on to the next one after taking a break.
It's not just a (i guess NT) "I heard this song twice this week" thing, it is quite literally an obsession but without it lasting more than a week or two. I can listen to that same song three times on replay and still want to hear the slightly sped up AND then the slowed down versions and do this same thing multiple times a day for five days or something.
Do I hate doing this? No. I actually really enjoy doing this. It's just something that happened to me so many times and will keep happening so I might as well tell it here, see if anybody can relate.
I didn't notice this until I had to think about what my obsession is so I do think it is much rather an "interest" or maybe something like that, not a long term obsession (with one specific thing at least) but still... I am looked at as insufferable by NTs when I can only talk about one song for an hour.
Last song like this for me was Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. Why is that song so perfect for me? I just don't get it. But it is.
So yeah, that's what I noticed about myself. Is this specifically something Autistic or not? How relatable is it?
Hopefully no one gets annoyed by this thread or something. I'm not saying this is something unique to me only, okay?
Obsesion, like you must hear it because you just must, or you really enjoy it and want to because you really like it, I think you mean like in the really like the song way?

I have the same song on repeat, sometimes for days, like in... I only listen to that one song, because I use it as a stim, it makes me calm as it is predictable - If it starts to become an obsession (like in, this is no longer just a regulatory thing) I change it.

I think it is "normal" (like nt normal) to listen to a song you like a couple of times in a day, I don't know if there is a specific number of repeats that are considered "normal"...

How do I delete this? lol. I feel stupid now posting this question but in the moment I honestly wasn't sure about it. :(

Just report it as you want it deleted. The moderators are great for anything or any questions.

That happens to me all the time. This week it's ABBA's "Gimme Gimme".

Can't get it out of my head just yet. Go figure....:rolleyes:

I've always focused on individual songs (generally progessive/alternate rock). Once it catches my interest I play it to death. But often I can listen to it again once time passes (years). But typically not with the same intensity as the first time.

Only with classical/jazz do I listen without repeating songs (usually).

Yes, like kriss72 said, nothing wrong with mentioning it. Is it an Aspie thing? I believe it is, at least to some extent a tendency. as it has been brought up quite a few times by others here.

New Threads

Top Bottom