• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Taking compliments...

D temp

Straight to the point, I'm wondering how abnormal it is to have such low self esteem? I take anything negative said about me so overly seriously but anything complimentary I just brush aside and can't take them seriously :/

Here's an example from earlier from Facebook (I know them both):

gfdgg.png

I always just beleive they're joking, without any meaning behind it as I don't get sarcasm. Doesn't bother me it's them who said it as I don't fancy them or anything but i just wish I could take compliments in general...

Also, what does 'Oooft I would' mean? Always wondered... :ph34r:

Thanks.

Well, at times it can be hard to tell if someone's joking or not but they sounded genuine.

Also, what does 'Oooft I would' mean? Always wondered... 

That means if they had the chance, they would have sex with you. Surely you knew that judging by the smiley you used?   :ph34r:

I hate compliments.
There was a point where I used to enjoy people saying hateful stuff about me and to me and it would make me smile and laugh, but not so much now. Only really if the person hates me.
But yeah, compliments just make stuff awkward.
EMZ=]

@Emor do you hate compliments being made in real life, on the internet or both?

If someone compliments you just say thanks. That's all you need to do.

I don't mind on the internet so much, but I find it hard to reciprocate.
I usually just say, 'Thanks, same to you (Y)'(minus the (Y) in real life, and I don't do thumbs up, I only thumbs up irl sarcastically), but idk how people interpret that.
EMZ=]

Yeah.
When I want someone to piss off I just do a dodgy smile and give them a thumbs up.
They never get the message. :thumbsdown: LOL.
EMZ=]

im not good with responding to the very few compliments i get about anything, i end up saying something sarcastic or something and move on or just refute it entirely and pick out one of the many flaws in me or **** i do

I never know how to respond to compliments, they seem to take me by surprise every time. And I'm like "oh um....ok....thanks?". Although the thanks is more like a "mumblemumble". On the internet I'm better with it but on MSN I say nothing for ages trying to think of something to respond with.
Also I don't know how to respond to compliments because there's nothing usually to compliment back with, and if I can't find anything I can't just make something up out of nowhere.
I used to make the mistake of saying "yeah" until someone told me I was rude.

Yeah I used to say Yeah too or just not respond and pretend I didn't here them.
I actually hate compliments 'cause I'll frequently say something stupid in response and make me look cocky or self-loathing.
EMZ=]

I don't really mind compliments, I think its a nice thing been given but now I'm a little more aware they could be using sarcasm, hopefully not... :mellow:

But I don't mind. :D

I'm very bad with compliments, receiving them that is. I can give very elaborate compliments to people sometimes and I really mean them when I say them it's something I try to do, to make people happy (but not always so good at).
But someone giving me a compliment, well I used to not believe them, now I believe them, but they make me feel awkward for some reason, if I made something I think is really good and another person thinks it is really good I will probably blush.
Yet I hate it if somebody doesn't notice at all... weird, almost like I would most like to see somebody looking at what I made with interest, that would be best and make me happy and not feel awkward.
On text though, it is very hard to know, so I just try and give people the benefit of the doubt, I might end up looking stupid but whatever...

... If someone compliments you just say thanks. That's all you need to do.

That's what I do, even if I don't believe it. I'm wierd with compliments... whether or not I can believe them depends a lot on my mood. I do have issues accepting ones that relate directly to my personality though, like smart, funny, etc... I always have reasons for why they can't be true. And then sometimes I wonder if I'm just being messed with.

New Threads

Top Bottom