• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Survey Help Please! Trying to Make this future better.

alinasw29

Hello everyone,
I hope this message finds you well. I have a personal connection to autism as my brother is on the autism spectrum, which has led me to be very familiar with the unique challenges and needs of individuals with autism. As a senior majoring in interior design, I'm currently working on my thesis project, and I need your valuable insights and experiences to contribute to my research.

For my thesis, I'm passionate about creating a more efficient residential community living environment for adults with autism. I know the history behind the development of such communities, and I've done extensive research. It's clear that there's a significant lack of suitable options for adults with autism in today's world.

I'm reaching out to you,to seek your input. I'm looking to gather feedback from three specific groups:
Questionnaire 1: Adults with Autism (Ages 22-28) - If you're an adult with autism within this age range, your unique perspective is invaluable to me, as my goal is to design spaces that truly meet your needs.
Questionnaire 2: Family Members/Caregivers of Adults with Autism - If you're a family member or caregiver of an adult with autism, your insights on how living environments impact their lives are crucial to my research.
Questionnaire 3: Professionals and Service Providers - If you work in a profession related to autism or interior design, your expertise can help shape the future of these living spaces.

Your input will not only contribute to my academic journey but also help make a positive impact on the lives of adults with autism.

Questionnaire 1: (Adults with Autism (Ages 22-28))[[https://forms.gle/SiftGKqYKgXNTNEn7](https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fforms.gle%2FSiftGKqYKgXNTNEn7%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR1eT53E1U-ZdqF1I13jsAmRGrj_W9IQ0ag2plHpoUcHYmblbJrv6tnzeAU&h=AT3aV9OJLhsWWiiGcp0WbEQf9N9vQGm2jZUlo1QRb7KAh08pI6_snzylztlwk1nKL0h7-M_UgaJ2N1G_lzUpNKGwAyuN0Y7KiNUGZeJk6Bo_wZ_Vksl4B3MFJdNbYLzO-TyjVlSo0H2i1KmTSgqgyE3bPg&__tn__=-UK-R&c[0]=AT1upwk2wI8EyIS0a7mpKqFSts21M3aIw-FoweWiqVhb1GAQzF6HKunrajVigd0ojIK5uF_lStVjA6eDM2YJE8ZRm8SQCUjZf7sLBwg_RY__HVkmkQ6u_DBEvLqd8uBOgtOqN6BOdL3e-ZD4eKNKSzAja4bbOy__Bp-RCdU)]

Please contact me for links to
Questionnaire 2: (Family Members/Caregivers of Adults with Autism) and
Questionnaire 3: Professionals and Service Providers.

Thank you for being a part of this important research journey. Together, we can work towards creating more supportive and inclusive living environments for adults with autism.
Feel free to share this with anyone who might be interested. Your support means the world to me!
1f31f.png

If you have any questions, need further information, or can help connect me with relevant interviewees, please don't hesitate to reach out. Thank you in advance for your participation and support!
Warm regards,
Alina Williamson

Together, we can work towards creating more supportive and inclusive living environments for adults with autism.

You mean adults between 22-28. Out of the roughly 60 years of adulthood, you target the input of 6 years. Put another way around 10% of the adult autist popuation.

Why limit yourself to trying to improve a six year interval of autistic adulthood?

I respect your desire to make the future better but I think it would make more sense to look at the whole of autistic adulthood. Taking stairs 2 at a time is all well and good until there's less horsepower or you even are sporting two wheels. Built-in obsolescence. Not to mention family size and changing tastes.

It sounds like you are designing spaces for autistics in post grad schools.

Some other thoughts...

Therapy animals and a tendency among autistics to like/have pets.

A large percentage of autistics have unusual sensitivities to noise. Living spaces with built in noise suppression would be useful. The Air Force have such on bases for visiting aircrew on stopovers as crew rest prior to flying is considered essential.

See what you are missing. ;)

Last edited:
Survey 1 seems focused only on individuals who are already living in an autism-friendly community, so I didn't know how to respond.

My biggest environmental preference is for dark and cool spaces. I want the ability to have the space be pitch black and very cold.

I really dislike long, white LED-style lighting because it somehow puts me on edge. Also, paper thin walls where you can hear the neighbors too much is enough to ruin a space for me.

Last edited:
I also wonder about the 22 to 28 age range. This range is the very beginning of adulthood.

Same comment, basically. Don’t understand the practicalities. Can’t imagine the scheme for removing occupants when they age out, or the social status of antiques who overstay their welcome.

Otherwise, my personal reaction is between caution and revulsion. Living in an apartment complex would be very difficult for me, both because of noise and because I somehow do better when there’s significant space between my front door and that of the next guy. I have a sincere dread of anything like an old folks’ home.

I understand that I might someday be forced to once again live in close quarters. I honestly don’t know if I could stay, suspect I would prefer a vehicle or under a bridge… not a well-traveled bridge. Any development designed for the likes of me would go to great lengths to avoid feeling like ‘community living’.

But then, I’m too old to get an application…

For my thesis, I'm passionate about creating a more efficient residential community living environment for adults with autism.
Are you talking about autistics who are capable of self-care [ASD1] or those who need more intense support [ASD2/3]?
(Not all 2s & 3s have the same co-morbid conditions, so even their specific support needs will vary.)

My 29yo, ASD3 daughter/ward has the mental & linguistic development of an 18mo child. Other non-verbals can type age-appropriate messages, even though they cannot talk. (Those are two different problems.)

New Threads

Top Bottom