• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Suits and being all gentlemanly

Shiznown

I have recently gotten interested in suits and dressing nicer. I really want to buy a nice suit and a nice watch. I think I may just be in a James Bond stage lol. Anyone else like suits, or if you're a woman, do you like when a man dresses up nice?

I'm always a little impressed when a man wears a suit, mainly because it seems like a lot of logistical work! Women are sometimes lucky because "dressing up" often means a dress--just one article of clothing (though the accessories and shoes, in particular, can be a real struggle and many women feel supremely uncomfortable in dresses). So suits, with all their pieces and layers, can demonstrate a level of care and purpose in dressing oneself that many people find admirable.

For me, I can enjoy anything in moderation. My personal favorite apparel though for men is athletic gear; it's cool when a man can be confident and clean in a nice pair of sneakers, comfortable sweatpants, and a tshirt. But every situation has different standards of dress, of course. I just personally prefer the situations that allow people to be their most comfortable self :)

Normally I'm not that fond of suits and stuff, but some guys pull it off well. Tuxedos aren't so bad, the vest really makes the outfit in my opinion. My husband was rather dashing at our wedding, I was pleasantly surprised.

My very favorite outfit on a guy is blue jeans, a white t-shirt, and lace-up/latch-up hiking boots or work boots. Add a leather belt and splash of wood smoke scent from working in the yard, and it may not stay G-rated for long. :p

My "suit" is a long coat and a deerstalker. There's nothing wrong with looking your best, but the kind of suit you're talking about is too much like a uniform to me.

Oh my- my fourth grade class. Where the class president always came to school wearing a suit and tie. Always wondered about that...until we had PE indoors once on a rainy day.

His James Bond toy gun popped out of his shoulder holster. :eek:

Oh, back in the mid 60s we all had them....and the attache case to go with it. But I would have never dreamed taking them to school. :p

I had to wear a suit and tie to work for many years. Ugh! Loved the advent of "business casual". Reminds me of a g/f I met at work who told me, "I can't wait to see what you look like without your clothes." At the time she just meant my business attire. I had to think about it before figuring THAT out! :D

Black tie.......:cool:

Last edited:
I have a suit and a tux, for special occasions, rest of the time I'm in jeans. However, the gentlemanly aspects are something I hold dear, although they have gotten me into trouble.

I can be "all gentlemanly" with out wearing a suit. I think being a gentleman has more to do with how you treat others, not what you wear. I do not do suits, I wear what I wear because it is comfortable, not because of how it looks. I just do not care if it is in style or if they match or not. The only time I dress for anything, is when my wife wants me to. Then it is just slacks and a nice shirt.

Absolutely adore a man in a suit, if he knows how to wear it. Ie, the suit is a predictor/ advertisement for placing values on good manners in general, courtesy, a general demeanor of relaxed respect for self and others. A sense of " I know what's appropriate." And a fit man in a suit will get a very discreet, long, appraising look.

It's also a fitness advertiser financially. Even today, knowing a potential partner for anything longer than a one night stand can actually demonstrate he has enough discretionary cash so that I won't get stuck with both halves of a Dutch date and have to eat peanut butter for a week it's encouraging.

I'd make immediate decision, "do I want to be seen with this guy? Yes."

Choice of color, style, and accessories telegraphs HOW the wearer does the whole "values and respect" thing.

Last edited:
I have recently gotten interested in suits and dressing nicer. I really want to buy a nice suit and a nice watch. I think I may just be in a James Bond stage lol. Anyone else like suits, or if you're a woman, do you like when a man dresses up nice?

I do like it when a man dresses up nice but if they were always dressed super-smart it wouldn't have as much appeal as if it were more occasional.

I think that the suit itself and how comfortable a guy is with wearing it makes a difference.

article-2341086-1A4BD038000005DC-771_468x681.jpg

= :eek::eek::eek:

I quite like the blazer with tshirt look as it's smart without being too dressy.

images
=:D

I also think that the choice of fabric and colour influences the overall 'feel' of a suit and that different men will suit different colours and types of fabric, depending on their colouring and personality.

Attachments

• upload_2015-6-11_20-10-40.jpeg
    upload_2015-6-11_20-10-40.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 234
To judge a person by the clothing they wear is utter nonsense. I know quite a few wealthy people who never play dressup doll just to put on airs. Judge me as inferior because of what I wear? I hope that all works out for y'all,because I don't want or need superficial materialistic people in my life and will spend my money as I choose to.
I made it to the top of the food chain and wore black t-shirts and jeans most of my life. I spent several million dollars of what I had saved for my TBI recovery and now live the comfortable life of a pauper without the monetary restrictions and requirements of what is considered by some as classy. Personality and character is what makes a man,not the clothing he chooses. I own a long tail tuxedo that I occasionally break out to wear in inappropriate places just as a shock factor and to play a silly role,often with little money in my pocket :p

Last edited:
If you're comfortable in a suit, keep it light-hearted, and have a good hygeine, nicely done hair, then in my opinion a guy can be splendid in a suit.
Wait. Now that I think about that, I hope it didn't sound like I was being judgemental.
p.s. Nitro I don't think anyone was judging by clothing, just pondering trying a suit?

Men's fashion is so limiting, especially in the realm of formal wear. Women have many more options when it comes to dresses and pants suits and the wide variety of styles available to us.

I do own a pinstripe suit with a matching fidora though. I like to wear it with high heels and one dangly ear ring, my hair swept to the other side. At a club once somebody commented, "Oh my God! It's the attack of the 50 foot lesbian!" :p

I'm not a big fan of suits I find them constrictive as hell in happy in baggy clothes normally Jeans n t shirt. I can dress up smart and I've been told I look good
ImageUploadedByAspiesCentral.com1434185364.872306.jpg

It's all about that James Bond feeling though totally. I just can't do smart casual it's either smart OR casual make your mind up lol
Anyone else have the smart casual problem

I'd love to wear a suit, though only if I could somehow find or piece together one that looked like it came from the Victorian or Regency eras. Then I would definitely behave like a gentleman!

On most days, though, It's all comfy clothes and casual attitude for me.

Women are sometimes lucky because "dressing up" often means a dress--just one article of clothing (though the accessories and shoes, in particular, can be a real struggle and many women feel supremely uncomfortable in dresses). So suits, with all their pieces and layers, can demonstrate a level of care and purpose in dressing oneself that many people find admirable.

As a man, I thought it was always us who got lucky in that department. A suit is a suit, if it fits then it's done. I always thought that was the reason male celebrities are never asked what/who they're wearing at red carpet events. Dresses have so many different cuts and styles, colours and accessories. So many choices I'm glad I never have to think about it.

For women there is also the issue of makeup, hair, accessories, and shoes, all of which have to be coordinated. Depending on how you are built there may also be considerable use of undergarments to squeeze your body into it's desired shape.

I still contend that women's fashion is way more fun, even if I can't bring myself to care about what is "in" this season.

That's pretty cool! Dressing sharply is certainly a fine obsession to have. I find dressing up to be very limiting and ties feel like they are absolutely choking me. I guess that's a symptom of my autism: oversensitivity to certain things. However, I do like wearing tuxedos because they don't feel constricting. That and it's fun to look at a mirror and say, "Shaken, not stirred." LOL!

I actually like wearing suits and men's clothes in general every now and then. I'm tall, so men's shirts tend to fit me better, lengthwise and men's clothes are so much comfier sometimes. I also love that androgynous, manstyle look on girls.

I also like my husband in a suit. :kissingheart:

New Threads

Top Bottom