• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Spectrum adults coping with childhood trauma caused by others

1. As an adult, how do you cope with that?
I generally try to distance myself from my former "self".

2. Do you still get intense flashbacks of those times?
Rarely. My more recent nervous breakdown 3 years ago has mostly monopolized my flashback experiences. :fearful:

3. Have you found peace with that, or do you occasionally get bitter?
I have found peace with the fact that I will occasionally get bitter :wink:

4. Any PTSD or depression that you think can be directly traced to those events?
Not any more. Frequent exercise keeps me in a generally positive mood.

5. Do you ever feel that things would have taken a completely different turn if you had had a diagnosis in your childhood or teenage years, and had gotten the adequate assistance and trainings/therapies?
Often. I would probably have become a scientist rather than a civil servant...

6. Do you ever feel guilt over times when you didn't stand up for yourself enough, even though you couldn't have in reality, or guilt for times you went too far in defending yourself?

Occasionally, but I try to suppress such emotions. I generally find it pointless to focus on "should have-could have-would have" scenarios, and I instead try not to end up in similar situations again...

7. What has helped you make up for what you couldn't receive before adulthood?
Solitude.

8. Are you satisfied with the social skills you've developed by your own means?
I'm still lacking in several areas (spontaneous social situations are still very challenging), but I've managed to cultivate a demeanour which enables me to be mostly my quirky and eccentric self without coming across as (completely) batshit...

I generally try to distance myself from my former "self".

Rarely. My more recent nervous breakdown 3 years ago has mostly monopolized my flashback experiences. :fearful:

I have found peace with the fact that I will occasionally get bitter :wink:

4. Any PTSD or depression that you think can be directly traced to those events?
Not any more. Frequent exercise keeps me in a generally positive mood.

5. Do you ever feel that things would have taken a completely different turn if you had had a diagnosis in your childhood or teenage years, and had gotten the adequate assistance and trainings/therapies?
Often. I would probably have become a scientist rather than a civil servant...

6. Do you ever feel guilt over times when you didn't stand up for yourself enough, even though you couldn't have in reality, or guilt for times you went too far in defending yourself?

Occasionally, but I try to suppress such emotions. I generally find it pointless to focus on "should have-could have-would have" scenarios, and I instead try not to end up in similar situations again...

Solitude.

I'm still lacking in several areas (spontaneous social situations are still very challenging), but I've managed to cultivate a demeanour which enables me to be mostly my quirky and eccentric self without coming across as (completely) batshit...
This makes me want to modify one of my responses - #5. If I had an early diagnosis and therapy, I think finding the right thing to study and the right job field and keeping the job would have turned out much more positively for me. It was lots of crashing and burning in academics and career that made me face the possibility of Asperger's.

A common motif here is the bullying, lack of acceptance and often traumatic life events that we were subjected to in our childhoor/teenage years for our lack of conformity to the NT world. So I have a lot of questions today, and I could use some help with those.

it's an on-going evolution i will probably always struggle with understanding fully
i don't get flashbacks.... i have no memories AT ALL
neither; its pretty neutral for me right now. i guess i know i will have to face my past and the demons that come with that. I'm on a journey to remember but it's really hard.
yes, probably more PTSD!
ENTIRELY different turn. my childhood, adolescence... would be 100% different, not to mention my adult relationships, career, friends, relationships with family, basically every single thing that makes a person a person.
i have guilt over the walls i built as a result of my past because i know how hard it must have been to love me (pre-diagnosis) It's in my soul to take care of and defend so i don't necessarily have guilt about that specifically...
REMOVING TOXICITY in every form. Getting to know myself, my faith & my "obsessions"
8. Are you satisfied with the social skills you've developed by your own means
I'm extremely proud of my coping skills and of how far i've come pre-diagnosis, i had everyone so fooled that i even fooled myself. its nice not to have to pretend anymore :)...

Wow. Thank you so much for these contributions, it helps to know that I'm not alone on that ride, and several of the posts were so inspiring.
This makes me want to modify one of my responses - #5. If I had an early diagnosis and therapy, I think finding the right thing to study and the right job field and keeping the job would have turned out much more positively for me. It was lots of crashing and burning in academics and career that made me face the possibility of Asperger's.
I feel the same way. Had I known, it would have changed what I went back to school for when I did, but I have no regrets as it helped me gain other things otherwise impossible.

Not too late to go back to school...again. I'm going to have a graduation for every decade of my life, if I go that route ;)

Last edited:
I had the good fortune of not being bullied in school, or at least, not in any capacity I couldn't handle. However, my uncle molested me when he was tasked to be my baby sitter when I was about 6.

So many life experiences have piled up since then. Thankfully, I've been able to repress the memories to a point where I've detached from the experience. I still feel damaged, but at least it doesn't haunt my every waking moment.

Not intense. I can piece together what he did, how it happened, etc, however, it all seems so far away. The effects are more ingrained into me rather than being a conscious thought.

Occasionally bitter. I told my parents what happened, asking them about if it was okay and all they told me was "oh, that's his way of being fond of you." And then fast forward to my teens, they finally admitted they believed me about the abuse and that they have cut all ties with that family member.

I still carry that feeling of doubt and insecurity though. As a child, I only knew I felt weird after and then to have my parents brush it aside was very hurtful.

Both, I'm guessing. I'm okay being a friend, but when it comes to being more than that, I just feel broken. My significant other is patient with me in this regard, but whenever there is intimacy involved, I feel disgusted with myself.

Perhaps it would have allowed me to recognize earlier when people were trying to take advantage of me.

Well, my uncle presented the abuse as a "game" so if I was more cautious, perhaps I would have been able to run away. I knew about saying no to strangers, but to relatives? My parents always presented relatives as "nice people" and I believed them. The realization came right after, when I had the time to process.

Luck. Support. Whereas my ex boyfriend guilted me whenever I asked to keep my distance, my husband has been very patient with me. When I'm not up for things, he doesn't push me.

Yes and no. Yes that I'm able to appear normal without needing to bring up my childhood trauma. No in the sense that certain parts of my relationship with my husband are a little tried by the experience. At least, I want to be a happier, more optimistic wife than I am now.

The key to stopping flashbacks and becoming a survivor is to forgive YOURSElf. Because victims of sexual abuse always blame themselves for it. But once you lay the blame at the abusers "feet", you find a resemblance of peace.

I know, because this is what happened to me.

I NEVER blamed myself, so I don't think victims always blame themselves, nor do I believe in the "forgiveness" tactic to violence, in that I will NEVER forgive someone who harms a fellow human being.

Bottom line, the rapist was a total stranger who attacked me at my car. It wasn't my fault, so I never had those issues. For me, it was genuine fear of being attacked again, not to mention the humiliation of knowing anyone can beat you up and kill you, AND there's absolutely NOTHING you can do about it.

It's similar to what Vietnam vets go through, so I was told by several psychiatrists... It's a form of PTSD that is recurring and mostly about fear of being vulnerable and attacked again...

I NEVER blamed myself, so I don't think victims always blame themselves, nor do I believe in the "forgiveness" tactic to violence, in that I will NEVER forgive someone who harms a fellow human being.

Bottom line, the rapist was a total stranger who attacked me at my car. It wasn't my fault, so I never had those issues. For me, it was genuine fear of being attacked again, not to mention the humiliation of knowing anyone can beat you up and kill you, AND there's absolutely NOTHING you can do about it.

It's similar to what Vietnam vets go through, so I was told by several psychiatrists... It's a form of PTSD that is recurring and mostly about fear of being vulnerable and attacked again...
never forgive never got get is one of my moddoz but i have moved on ant tryed to get locked up for killing the dude that tryed to rape me and if ur the victim of some thing how can u blem ur self i personalty blame the perp but thats me

I think you pointed out to something I hadn't realized regarding guilt, and that's how a total stranger assaulting you might be different than someone you're familiar with. I'm not saying that it's the sole cause of that, but that one line you wrote helped me understand it wasn't so much guilt at being assaulted, it's guilt at having trusted someone and let down my guard. I know I didn't allow them to assault me, but yeah, I definitely blame myself for having been a trusting person (and for a few other reasons I'm still trying to process).

I forgot already who posted that you can't be mad at yourself for not knowing something you didn't know already, but I have to thank her for that. (The wording was better than my recollection, too)

This post is rough, though. I think I'll come back to it tomorrow.

I had the good fortune of not being bullied in school, or at least, not in any capacity I couldn't handle. However, my uncle molested me when he was tasked to be my baby sitter when I was about 6.

So many life experiences have piled up since then. Thankfully, I've been able to repress the memories to a point where I've detached from the experience. I still feel damaged, but at least it doesn't haunt my every waking moment.

Not intense. I can piece together what he did, how it happened, etc, however, it all seems so far away. The effects are more ingrained into me rather than being a conscious thought.

Occasionally bitter. I told my parents what happened, asking them about if it was okay and all they told me was "oh, that's his way of being fond of you." And then fast forward to my teens, they finally admitted they believed me about the abuse and that they have cut all ties with that family member.

I still carry that feeling of doubt and insecurity though. As a child, I only knew I felt weird after and then to have my parents brush it aside was very hurtful.

Both, I'm guessing. I'm okay being a friend, but when it comes to being more than that, I just feel broken. My significant other is patient with me in this regard, but whenever there is intimacy involved, I feel disgusted with myself.

Perhaps it would have allowed me to recognize earlier when people were trying to take advantage of me.

Well, my uncle presented the abuse as a "game" so if I was more cautious, perhaps I would have been able to run away. I knew about saying no to strangers, but to relatives? My parents always presented relatives as "nice people" and I believed them. The realization came right after, when I had the time to process.

Luck. Support. Whereas my ex boyfriend guilted me whenever I asked to keep my distance, my husband has been very patient with me. When I'm not up for things, he doesn't push me.

Yes and no. Yes that I'm able to appear normal without needing to bring up my childhood trauma. No in the sense that certain parts of my relationship with my husband are a little tried by the experience. At least, I want to be a happier, more optimistic wife than I am now.

You're a survivor, Thursday, and as someone who has gone through terrible rape and violence myself, I can tell you with certainty that with time, it DOES get better. It just might take a decade, but you'll know when it happens - for me, it took about 15 years when I finally knew I was going to be okay. And how did I know? It was when the rape-nightmares took a turn and I started fighting back in my night-dreams. To this day, when I'm having a nightmare about being raped, I often either fly away or literally have lasers coming out of my hands as I fight the men off. Sadly, the nightmares never stopped...but being a superhero in my dream-world gives me hope when I wake up to face another day. :)

I think you pointed out to something I hadn't realized regarding guilt, and that's how a total stranger assaulting you might be different than someone you're familiar with. I'm not saying that it's the sole cause of that, but that one line you wrote helped me understand it wasn't so much guilt at being assaulted, it's guilt at having trusted someone and let down my guard. I know I didn't allow them to assault me, but yeah, I definitely blame myself for having been a trusting person (and for a few other reasons I'm still trying to process).

I forgot already who posted that you can't be mad at yourself for not knowing something you didn't know already, but I have to thank her for that. (The wording was better than my recollection, too)

auqance rape and rape by some random person if sepated ligly in some state in the usa

It is a rough subject. BTW, I was also a victim of "acquaintance rape" when I was 16 (I was raped twice, but the "stranger rape" at 18 was much more violent), so I DO understand that there are guilt issues with acquaintance rape, but for me, I still never blamed myself, except I was too trusting, and that that is the subject of this post, that if we knew we were autistic earlier in life, would it have made a difference. I think for me it would have, but who knows?

But YEAH, that one post of "not knowing something you didn't already know" also hit a cord with me, b/c it's accurate. I think we are all struggling with SADNESS that we didn't know we were so vulnerable...

I think we are all struggling with SADNESS that we didn't know we were so vulnerable...

yes - I didn't realize how vulnerable I was.....and a lot of my hypervigilance is in trying to gauge how vulnerable I am, and I have a feeling I still don't realize how vulnerable I am - it's all about trying my best to understand safety vs. danger on many levels.

1. The traumatizing mistreatment and lack of acceptance/understanding never stopped in my adulthood. (Some of the worst of it occured in adulthood.)

I wouldn't say most of it was about conformity, though.

I would say it was about lack of understanding most of the time....accidental mistreatment....otherwise it was that people had enough understanding to see me as vulnerable/easy prey.

Being given some idea of what happened (and, importantly, some idea of why it happened -- even just basic cause and effect, which can be quite elusive when you don't know how other people think or how they perceive you and don't even naturally consider the fact that other people might have thoughts about you in the first place) beyond my own perspective (which was often just that people were mad/upset and/or saying/doing hurtful/frightening/confusing things and literally that's it....no idea what was going on), and ideally some insight into the other person's thought's, feelings, desires, goals, and/or motivations often helps me. Sometimes it gives me compassion for the other person. Sometimes it just makes me less afraid going forward in the world....which in turn makes me less angry, and allows old wounds to heal so the pain fades away (the wounds stay raw and open and bleeding if I don't feel I can protect myself at all, and having no idea of what's happened and why makes it pretty hard to protect yourself....how can you deal with a situation if you can't understand, couldn't recognize it if it happened again?).

For myself, safe and positive social experiences that are counter to the negative and damaging ones are also important -- maybe essential.

2. Maybe? All of my memories (about all kinds of things, with all kinds of emotional content) seem to fit the description of "flashback" so it's hard to say.

One thing I do know is that there are memories of events that have so scarred me that I can get stuck in them if I think about them too long -- stuck remembering them (thinking about = remembering), or stuck in the emotional state that goes with the memory and unable to shake it off for a long time even after I stop thinking about it.

3. I don't understand the question....peace with what?

4. I have issues with anxiety and some extra difficulty with emotional dysregulation (beyond the difficulties with emotional regulation that can be considered just a part of autism and ADHD) that are both the result of trauma.

5. Different, probably. To what degree I have no idea.

Better? Who knows -- earlier diagnosis could have even made things worse.

Growing up I was already subjected to attempted interventions for my un-labelled issues -- attempts were made to get me social skills training, for example -- and those attempted interventions were spectacular failures (and traumatizing in and of themselves).

It would have been nice if people had understood me better, and OT for sensory issues and executive dysfunction would likely have been very helpful (it was helpful to me as an adult), but ultimately I got a lot of really good natural support from my family and friends.

8. I most definitely didn't develop my social skills by my own means -- I had a lot of help and instruction/coaching along the way.

I wish I could process things more quickly and that the way my brain accesses relevent stored knowledge was more reliable -- as these things affect my social interactions a lot.

But I do alright.

I try and live by the mantra 'if you can't change it, don't worry about it',
you can't change the past, mulling over it, holding a grudge, feeling upset about the past uses a huge amount energy and doesn't change anything, nothing you do can change the past, learn from it, let it go and get on with your future without the burden of your past

case in point: just got fired after 18 years with my employer, due to the impact of burnouts on my work (caused partly by me trying to function normally in a normal competitive environment), it's their choice, nothing i do can change that, i feel unhappy about it because it means change, but i don't feel bitter, upset or angry, i'm going to have a think about what went wrong, and then in a couple of days i'm going to let it go and move on

I think coming here has enabled me to let go of "what could have been", but sadly AC is not a magic wand that can erase the memories, and at times I can still get very agitated over the things that come back to the surface from their deep place of burial. I swear those memories can be like zombies, impossible to keep away, yet sucking the life out of me.

I was bullied most intensely in junior high, and recognizing how it pushed me to being too meek and accommodating was an important step in getting over it. I was able to leave the region and culture that did not fit me and move to one that did, which was incredibly freeing and helpful.

As adults we have much more power over changing things than we ever did as children and teens. This is also another fine lesson for me to learn. Something I still need to remind myself of to this day!

I let it shape me, but not dominate me. I was also fortunate that while it was frightening, and I was threatened with serious injury/death at one point, it did not happen. So I was lucky, more than anything.

A common motif here is the bullying, lack of acceptance and often traumatic life events that we were subjected to in our childhoor/teenage years for our lack of conformity to the NT world. So I have a lot of questions today, and I could use some help with those.

Learning to move on and focus on right now and how I want my future to look

Yes, but I try and get past them quickly and get back to living

I have never been truly bitter, forgiving yes, very confused yes

I was born ASD (but not diagnosed till much later) so I don't know for sure, but sure people did stuff to me that caused lots of hurt

Yes, all the time... But I have to not dwell on that. Help was offered a few times but it was refused and I was labeled stubborn instead. The diagnostic tools were anything that could beat me into submission or unconsciousness, which ever came first, then to tell me they are sorry and they love me... Confusing : (

If this were today and I was 2-12 years old CPS would probably take me from the environment and place me in foster care. But we were in such a rural area, there was nothing like that. At one point my own parents were planning to send me to a place for troubled boys but that place refused me because I wasn't the type of boys they had. I wasn't a trouble maker, a thief, a fighter, liar, or cheat. I was ASD and my parents refused to consider there might be other things that could help me. They were violent themselves and later they divorced leaving me to be mostly just moved around until I was old enough to feed and clothe myself.

By todays standards people would be in prison for some stuff that was done to me. Yet, I do feel blessed, so many of us never make it. People lose it, and it costs the lives of little kids everyday.

When I see it that way... I didn't have it so bad (no matter how bad it was). I am here and I still function and I am able to make changes in my life that can crush me, or let an average day become my wildest dreams.

Those monsters... they never had that, they only know hate and a degenerate style of living, and its sad. I hurt for them more than hate them. I don't hate... that sends me back to being them.

So inside I feel like the richest man in the world, because you cant buy unconditional love, you can only give it away. And I give that as much as possible.

I never stood up for myself. I tried it once and I couldn't get back up, so I gave up, until I grew up.

Knowing I am not what they tried to make me think I was. Self help, getting professional help, reading and learning about others like me. Being the opposite of what was surrounding me as a kid. Staying away from monsters who claim they are human.

Yes, but I haven't even started yet. : )

Last edited:
Whooooa boy. There's a whole lot to unpack here. Much of my life has been a sequence of progressively more traumatic experiences, and to list them all would probably throw me into a homicidal rage. I'd rather not make too much mention of those experiences, so I'll try to answer your questions as best I can:

1) To be quite honest, I don't have many truly effective ways of "coping" with memories of my past. They tend to come back sooner or later, although I have noticed that the past year-and-a-half my life has finally been on a general upswing. To answer your question, I like to listen to angry, nihilistic music with depressing and / or hateful lyrics to try and make sense of my feelings, or I write stories about characters who've been in situations similar to my own. I find those coping strategies, while they don't eliminate the pain, they dull it just enough that I can function somewhat normally. Alternatively, I sometimes like to fantasize about a perfect utopian world similar to my very early childhood, although this usually makes me even more despondent, as the nostalgia is in such stark contrast to the world as it is now.

2) I get PTSD flashbacks almost every day. I don't have to look far to stumble across some kind of stimuli in my environment that "triggers" vivid, torturous visions of something that has happened to me over the years. For me, it's usually a certain phrase that's said by some passer-by or person in my life (or even the tone of voice they use) that reminds me of a particularly unforgettable incident, or it can be an encounter with a person whose personality matches up with one of my abusers. It's kind of ridiculous when I think about how often I see things on the news or internet that my brain associates with painful events.

3) The only peace I find with my past is fleeting; in the times when things are going well for me I could care less about my traumatic experiences, and even sometimes fantasize about making amends with the past. But most of the time, as horrible as it sounds, the only "peace" I feel like I could ever know would be derived from inflicting some sadistic act of vengeance on one of the plethora of "people" who have wronged me. They have proven time and time again that they are incorrigible, incapable of compassion or reason, and any time they've tried to apologize for what they've done they go back to their old abusive ways sooner or later. (Most of the time, if anything, they believe that what they did was justified and that I brought it all upon myself). For example, it brings me great solace to daydream about curb-stomping one former friend who turned out to be a neo-Nazi. I would be one of the billions of innocent people exterminated if he had his way, so I consider his beliefs an act of personal betrayal. To transfer my suffering onto the subhuman sack of excrement that caused it would be an unspeakably beautiful catharsis, and in doing so I could finally rest with the assurance that they could never betray me or mock my suffering ever again. Until then, I suppose moving up in the world and making them look pathetic will have to suffice.

4) On top of my Asperger's syndrome, I suffer from PTSD and major clinical depression, both conditions I suspected I had for a long time, and now have official diagnoses for from my psychologist. I believe that these mental illnesses were directly formed by the horrible circumstances of my environment growing up, and aggravated by being constantly branded a "p**sy" or "f**got" for having emotions. My aunt and right-wing Christian grandmother making excuses for my mom's abusive behavior and telling me that I'm "just as bad as her" for wanting her brought to justice didn't exactly help things either.

5) I'll admit that this question is a little unclear for me. If you're talking about my Asperger's syndrome, I was diagnosed at around age 11, so I don't think that would have much bearing. I was diagnosed with depression when I was 18 and PTSD just last year (I'm 21 now). In my opinion, the best treatment for any mental health issue is environmental, and not medical: being surrounded by people who love you, take you seriously, value you as one of their equals, and want to facilitate and see your success in life is something that everyone should have a right to. Only just recently have I known this feeling after moving in with my dad, and it's quite humbling. I think that if I'd had this validation growing up, a lot of issues over the course of my youth would've been mitigated or outright avoided.

6) I do feel a lot of guilt about times when I should've stood up, but didn't. On the other hand, I imagine that if I did every time I had the option to, I probably would be in prison by now. Any times I have tried to call out my abusers it's either fallen on deaf ears or been met with retaliation, usually in the form of them accusing me of the same exact crime they're guilty of.

7) Honestly, a lot of the things that my peers took for granted growing up I'm only just beginning to enjoy now. I feel like a r*t*rd in the most literal sense of the word, someone whose developmental milestones take place on a delayed timescale from the rest of the population. It's frustrating and paralyzing. It's as if my b*lls were cut off before they could even drop. I'm 21 years old and still don't have my driver's license, am a virgin, and have been in only two romantic relationships my whole life. However, like I said earlier, I would like to think that my life is improving. I'll be starting my senior year of college in a few weeks, just finished up a summer job, traveled to some cool places this summer, and have made more meaningful social connections in the past year than I have in all my life prior to that point. Ironically, I think the biggest compensation for me missing out on my childhood is making the most of my adulthood, by constantly improving myself and my situation. Who knows, maybe I'll have my own place by age 60.

8) I wouldn't say I'm satisfied with my social skills yet, but I do think that they can be (and have been) worked with. The man I am now is hopefully not who I'll be in ten years, and definitely not the person I was ten years ago. I'm a big believer in Friedrich Nietzsche's concept of Übermensch as an archetype of the ideal self, something to aspire toward. Every day I try to narrow the gap between my current self and the Übermensch. Looking back, I'd like to think I've come a long way. I don't drool, I don't flap my hands, I don't bash my head against the wall, I can tie my shoes, I'm toilet trained, I don't go up to random people and ask them what their favorite locomotive is, and I'm trying to work on eye contact. While these seem like things that should be a given for most people, for me they're Herculean accomplishments. I think the aforementioned social connections are a testament to my improved social skills. And I still have a long way to go. Now more than ever, I'm motivated to get the most out of life. I owe it to myself to take back the reins, and that I'm just beginning to do.

I hope these answers proved helpful and enlightening for you. I humbly apologize if their tone came off as bitter or off-putting. This is a topic that fills me with indignation, but thankfully I now recognize it as fuel for me to conquer anything that's before me.

Being badgered over wetting my pants, being left handed and lack of processing ability did for sure have me targeted on many fronts, however I have come to find the bullying, lack of acceptance and subsequent traumatic events came from those more affected than me. It’s a realization that still needs work, but one that has come from allowing myself to fully feel/embrace the flashbacks as they come. I don’t go forcing myself … I just let them come.

I’ve been through the ringer with child sexual assault by those entrusted in the church. I’ve been judged, shamed and rejected by the church. I rarely have flash backs because I have come to know the truth in a way that’s taken me a lifetime to unlearn and overcome. Therapy has been good for me. Both with clinicians that I have come to trust but above all in the way I have learned to council myself. More over coming to know thy true self. Letting go of the stories in a way that seeks to let go of all ideals and beliefs. If I may be so bold as to assume, it sounds to me many here have a good grasp on that.

Peace as best I can find it. The term is as shallow to me as say today’s version of happiness. It can be such a trap. I’m more about being in salvage mode without the need to try and fix. Without the need to be more than what I already am. When not striving to be better … (although that's an act I adopt when feeling low - its more in the balance and not deluding oneself in the self betterment process is all) When in that state … yea … I find peace. Bitter is also a word I have come to change … I get frustrated from time to time. Bitterness I let go of quickly as I now have a good grounding on how toxic negative emotions can be for myself and others. I often get frustrated but that’s OK. Meditation and peeling back the layers of indoctrination and societal conditioning really helps. I’ve woken up to the illusion of present day living, make my own choices being careful not to accept or reject the ways of others.

It’s all related to that. That’s why letting go of the stories/past is critically important. Yet one first has to fully experience those flash backs that come and go and do so in a way that allows for total acceptance of one’s self. External sources can only guide – only the self can do the letting go. I’m more depressed these days with what lays in my path. This worlds failure to accept it’s responsibility as a whole, (residual effect) the way it labels individuals, creates new problems perpetuating a continual need in order to perpetually remain in a state of fix.

For Sure! Even in a world ‘still’ bent on creating problems, solutions without addressing the cause, I could see less pain coming from say an evolutionary path to working towards. The DX I am about to get will see me better understood … Hell … I am even better understanding myself through any kind of lens that differs from old stigmatised labels now commonly scoffed at and rated according to type and dose of medication.

Shame and Guilt is the Cancer of our Society. It’s how the masses are controlled, it’s how atypical abusers manipulate and it’s how we are prone to our addictions. Should of and Could of is a pattern I have also learned to break in as much as negative emotions having that bitter taste. In the same way I train myself to no longer be indoctrinated and or controlled by mainstream patterns of living, the same approach can be adopted to breaking the addictions of negative emotions. I’m not saying I’m cured. I don’t believe in cures.

My greatest liberation in going from victim to victory is seeing there is no such thing as winning. There is no victory to be had … there is only now without the past or any need for what we're taught to fear comes next. There’s nothing to forgive, let along forget. Having seen myself as both victim and perpetrator and seeing the cycle for what it is, makes one see just how imperative it is to no longer jump in the ring to be either hit or be hit; hit on or hit out.

Accepting that there was nothing ever wrong with me to begin with. That I already have all I need within myself to heal myself. That I don’t need external sources in order that I be at peace. Once I am in tune with that, I naturally gravitate to socialize with those I feel comfortable with, in my own time, with as few as I like and above all; no need to be associated with any ‘club.’

Yes – because it so happens I play an active role as a peer member at a local mental health facility. It’s not a club. Just a few peers where I am understood and where I seek to understand those like me.: )

I give myself points for avoiding 'much' of my story. (some elements linger - is getting better) Letting go of it is really hard but is where it’s at … but having said that … I find allowing others to yell and scream as much as they need is as affective as any other means. Eventually the stories will play themselves out. It’s just that some of us would do well to wear helmets as opposed to not. In a manner of speaking I was a helmet case. Thankfully I am past that stage although I admit my frustrations can still get the best of me. But I now see that as perfectly normal. Question anyone or system that tries to muzzle you. I always do and always will.

Thank you for your questions. I found yours and the other responses very enlightening.

Peace as best any of you can find it.

Last edited:

Not really well, I already had major anger issues from being sensitive to any kind of touches so I was always snapping at people and being hyper aware of what everyone was doing around me. I have since cooled my anger issues unless I don't get enough sleep. Drinking wine helps to numb most of it but it's always in moderation.

Memories are always intense for me so it's just one of those things that I have to deal with. Deep breathing and reminding myself that it's in the past does help.

On some things yes but others not really. Generally I have no ill will towards others because if it's in school then I won't see them again.

No not at all. I don't let them control how I live.

I got a diagnose when I was 3 years old, so it doesn't apply to me.

No because everyone knew to stay away from me. I wasn't the one who bullied others but I wasn't quiet if things bothered me.

Doesn't apply, N/A.

I feel that I've grown into the person I want to be mentally. I can be social if I want to but actually talking with others that isn't in a school setting is a bit of a challenge. It's still a work in progress but I have no problems chatting with others.

New Threads

Top Bottom