• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Specific Food Addiction

Re: food addictions

Mixed salad greens with croutons, fresh garlic, and Trader Joes Feta dressing. It's a relatively new food preference for me.

Re: food addictions

Mixed salad greens with croutons, fresh garlic, and Trader Joes Feta dressing. It's a relatively new food preference for me.

I've been doing mixed salads for the last few years. Quite economical, although I add quite a lot to them with wonton chips, green pepper, tomatoes, fresh chives, chopped cooked ham, garbanzo beans and ranch dressing.

Actually, this has me written all over it. I have certain foods I get addicted to, and they seem to work in cycles. My friends and family are aware of this, and often point out how odd it is. I do believe it is because I so thoroughly enjoy, and appreciate, the taste, smell, texture, temperature, and after taste each leaves, as they are all so unique. Generally the foods I get addicted to are also comfort foods, which leave me feeling so satisfied, they actually make my day. I love some of them so much; when I'm hooked on something, I have to have it, until I bore myself of it. Then usually a few months later I get a taste for something else, or return to a forgotten favourite :p

Some of my favourites have included: fresh squeezed orange juice (this one is most common), eggs on thick cut toast (fried or scrambled), salmon (grilled, med-rare or nigiri), banana and mango smoothies, curry-ginger pork chops, turkey with cranberry sauce, peanut butter and jam sandwiches, fresh peeled prawns with avocado & thousand islands dressing, anything with spicy chilli or jalapenos, anything with loads and loads of garlic, and chocolate milk...to name a few.

I go into cycles of craving for caramel. I want endless amounts of caramels for days. Then none for a while, then suddenly, BAM! More caramels. Also, RICE CAKES! If you give me a bag of salt and black pepper rice cakes, they'll be gone very quickly.

Fried chicken and mtn dew voltage for me. I also believe I have an addiction to coke seriously because if I don't have it for a day I become stressed and can't work.

Canned pasta and lightly-flavoured Gatorade. The latter recovers me from a lot of stuff.

A salad of mixed greens with a particular dressing I make myself, and with goat cheese crumbled into it.
I can't eat salad with any other dressing.
Yummy, yummy goat cheese.

Currently obsessed over sour cream & chive pretzels, houmous, Terry's chocolate orange and macaroni cheese. Healthy! I notice I tend to buy exactly the same food every week unless I've become sick of it. I always have the exact same cereal with almond milk for breakfast every day too, I don't know if that's 'weird' or not!

I also order the same thing at restaurants every single time no matter how many times I've visited - if I know I like something I'll eat it constantly.

EDIT: Wanted to know if anyone else gets annoyed comments from family members for eating or not eating certain foods that the family consider 'normal'? I didn't know it was normal for someone to get so angry at me for not liking mushrooms or tomatoes or ham (pretty much all that was in the fridge)!

Last edited:
I too eat mac n' cheese, but only on fridays. I used to eat a lot of Penn State Pretzels, mostly sour cream and chive, but now generally eat Snyder's or Combos.

What the hell? I'll tell you my food plan.

Breakfast:

Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs- Toasted Sesame Seed Bagel with Cream Cheese

Friday- Pancakes and Maple Syrup

Saturday- Taaka Daal and Puri

Sunday- Full English Breakfast

Supper/Dinner/Tea:

Monday- Penne with Tuna, Mayo and Cheese and Mtn Dew Voltage

Tuesday- Spicy Wings x12 and Mtn Dew Voltage

Wednesday- Pad Thai and Mtn Dew Voltage

Thursday- Papa Johns Pepperoni Pizza Large Normal Crust and Mtn Dew Voltage

Friday- Mac n' Cheese and Mtn Dew Voltage

Saturday- Wok to Walk (London) and Coca Cola

Sunday- Cheese Burger and Fries with Soda of the Week (HeHe, it's a game i play)

As you can see, it's not very healthy but it's worth noting i always have water at hand and drink a lot of it. I also eat carrot and hummus throughout the day and i keep the lettuce in my burger. I have perfect cholesterol and blood pressure etc. so i manage to balance it out.

Anyone else have a set plan? I just use mime to avoid complications.

@grapesicles

My parents used to force me to eat foods that made me vomit, like tomatoes and, once, i was made to finish a bowl of pasta i had vomited in, and it hadn't been scooped up. This was when i was about 4 because later on i could defend myself when i hit 5' 10". Any of your family try to force you?

@grapesicles

My parents used to force me to eat foods that made me vomit, like tomatoes and, once, i was made to finish a bowl of pasta i had vomited in, and it hadn't been scooped up. This was when i was about 4 because later on i could defend myself when i hit 5' 10". Any of your family try to force you?
]
One of the things discussed in my Nutrition class was how we should not force children to eat something they dislike. The idea was, adults are allowed to have food preferences, why is it forbidden to children?
And in my Early Childhood classes, the idea was that when introducing a new food that a toddler didn't want, you didn't make him/her eat it. You just allowed that food to be available at many different meals, until he or she decided on his/her own to eat it.

I think my parents were beyond that and were just being ass#%$*s because there is no reason to feed a child their vomit. I completely agree though- children should have preferences as well. Its good in some cases such as a dislike of pork and white chocolate and, when i was younger, fizzy drinks.

My Mother used to make me sit there until I finished everything on my plate. It's really hard to swallow cold mashed potatoes when you are crying.

@grapesicles

My Mother used to make me sit there until I finished everything on my plate. It's really hard to swallow cold mashed potatoes when you are crying.

Yeah, i cannot swallow mashed potato anyway because the texture just makes me keep chewing and not swallowing.

Agreed, it is totally wrong to make kids eat food they genuinely hate - you tend to change tastes as you get older anyway. I remember at school we had school dinners so you'd be forced to sit there until you finished everything they'd given you. However this meant I got to miss doing sports which was after lunch, so that suited me just fine and they'd let me go eventually anyway. :)

We all crave a certain food and we just can't resist it! Me, I like fried taco everyday but I make it a point to eat it once a day. A small size or maybe a bite size will do, just to feed my craving.

I always, always, always will eat fries, and chicken nuggets. I tend to go through phases with other foods (typically soup, pasta and pie) until the texture suddenly bothers me, then I will move onto the next obsession :D

EDIT: Wanted to know if anyone else gets annoyed comments from family members for eating or not eating certain foods that the family consider 'normal'? I didn't know it was normal for someone to get so angry at me for not liking mushrooms or tomatoes or ham (pretty much all that was in the fridge)!

I have had family and housemates get irritated with the fact that I am "a picky eater" or "too fussy".

My parents tried this when I was young, but they had much less resolve than your mother, Mo. Instead I went to bed without dinner on several occasions (once because I de-skinned all of my peas and refused to eat them, I can't stand peas!).

New Threads

Top Bottom