• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Specific Food Addiction

Agreed, it is totally wrong to make kids eat food they genuinely hate - you tend to change tastes as you get older anyway. I remember at school we had school dinners so you'd be forced to sit there until you finished everything they'd given you. However this meant I got to miss doing sports which was after lunch, so that suited me just fine and they'd let me go eventually anyway. :)

Ha, sports. The lesson i skipped from the age of 6. I would pretend i was looking for my kit and it suspiciously took hours.

Ha, sports. The lesson i skipped from the age of 6. I would pretend i was looking for my kit and it suspiciously took hours.

Haha yes! Or using the same sick note for a "sprained ankle" for 6 months and seeing how long before the teacher noticed. Very glad to be out of school! :)

My obsession is the chicken salad from a Greek fast food restaurant in Fresno called The Broilers. They specialize in gyros and shawerma plates but this salad is out of this world, and I lost 41 lbs in a few months thanks to these delicious salads. The dressing is perfect, and the chicken is DELICIOUS. I never get tired of it, which is a good thing!

Like most of you, I go through phases with food. At the moment, it's soup or baked beans and crackers. I may well be addicted to Pepsi Max though; it's pretty much all I drink these days, save for the odd glass of fruit juice or cup of coffee.

My parents used to force me to eat foods that made me vomit, like tomatoes and, once, i was made to finish a bowl of pasta i had vomited in, and it hadn't been scooped up. This was when i was about 4 because later on i could defend myself when i hit 5' 10". Any of your family try to force you?

When I was 10, I was forced to try this feta cheese and tomato dish that my parents liked (and still have sometimes). It smelt as bad as it looked. I didn't even taste it and it made me gag. My dad got angry and accused me of being over-dramatic, but I knew that if I attempted to eat the stuff, I would probably be sick.

Like most of you, I go through phases with food. At the moment, it's soup or baked beans and crackers. I may well be addicted to Pepsi Max though; it's pretty much all I drink these days, save for the odd glass of fruit juice or cup of coffee.

When I was 10, I was forced to try this feta cheese and tomato dish that my parents liked (and still have sometimes). It smelt as bad as it looked. I didn't even taste it and it made me gag. My dad got angry and accused me of being over-dramatic, but I knew that if I attempted to eat the stuff, I would probably be sick.

I haven't had feta for a long while. I tend to avoid cheeses that aren't mild cheddar or processed. String cheese i love.

The only cheeses I like are cheddar and the Dairylea soft cheese triangles. I tried brie once and didn't really take to it, to me it was like eating butter. :S

The only cheeses I like are cheddar and the Dairylea soft cheese triangles. I tried brie once and didn't really take to it, to me it was like eating butter. :S

I used to eat those triangles but i don't know where to get them anymore. When i moved in with my grandfather he always kept them. I too hate brie-i agree with you that the texture is unbearable.

I'm a very picky eater, so I guess that would go along with the theme of this thread. I like more bland foods and hate ones that I have stronger tastes, especially foods that are spicy. A lot of people here like to eat ethnic foods from other countries, but I pretty much only like American-type food, and some Italian food like lasagna and ravioli.

I tend to be very possessive about my food too. My wife has pointed that out before. So I typically notice if somebody has been eating food that I buy for myself.

Diet Pepsi is my MUST HAVE thing. It used to be regular Pepsi. Either way, though, ever since I was in 9th grade, I have to have my Pepsi.

Also I am completely obsessed with chocolate, and also desserts and other sweet things. I have an incredible sweet tooth.

Peanut butter. Some days I have eaten half a pound at a time.

In Sunday School a couple years ago we were supposed to tell our 'favorite food' and why.
I said "peanut butter, because it doesn't make me sick."
People laughed.
I wasn't making a joke. There are so many things that I can't eat that one of the most positive things I can say about a food is
that it doesn't make me sick. :unsure:

That?s probably not its clinical name but I read about it somewhere that people on the spectrum can be easily addicted to some foods.
I never knew this was a thing and I suppose I should do some research, but its one of those things where I am happy to know I am different I just don?t want to dig at exactly how deep that goes.

I can easily find myself chowing down on some snack food or other because I love it and I eat a whole bag or box or whatever, that?s not what I mean here though.
It may be more to do with the texture or specific taste or because you haven?t had it before, that now you have to have it all the time, I don?t know.

Recently I had a job and across from my shop was an Asian kitchen type place and while yes, the lady at the front counter is lovely, I felt I had to go there everyday for lunch and sometimes dinner.
The fact that it was healthy was good too.

Others addictions/ compulsions I have experienced where fried chicken, Burger King, Vanilla ice cream with choc chips in and a few others, oh, lasagna (Garfield addiction simultaneously)

If it's not that uncommon have we got any theories on why we do it?

Well if you think about it, people on the spectrum are renowned for having very heightened senses,

sound
taste
touch
sight
smell

And well food is particularly unique for evoking all of those senses and food as a general thing is very diverse.
The sound of food when cooking or eating whether it be the sizzle of bacon or the snap crackle and pop of rice krispies. Or my favourite the sound of popping candy.
Then you have the taste of food which is so so so unique, spicy foods, sweets foods, plain foods, salty foods. etc.
The texture of food also differs vastly, from a simple thing as an apple to a banana.
How the food looks also obviously is different. For example I cannot eat food that has been cooked then put in the freezer, like the mince for spaghetti, the appearance of how it looks before and after defrosting makes my stomach turn.
And finally smell, the smell of food is so strong, my parents laugh at me because I always know when food is cooked even when i'm upstairs in my room I can just smell the food cooking and I just come down stairs at the exact time when the ovens timer goes off.

The fact of the matter is of course we are going to be obsessed/addicted to certain types of food, all our senses are extremely heightened and food is so diverse and unique. People who aren't on the spectrum favour different types of food and well they don't live with such heightened senses so I guess we just do what we usually do and go to the extreme. :)

I have some very strange food addictions:

I've eaten the exact same breakfast, everyday for 10-11 years.
I've eaten the same lunch, almost everyday, for 4 years.

I don't necessarily 'like' these foods, but neither do I dislike them. I just like the security of the familiar and the routine...

New Threads

Top Bottom