• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Specific Food Addiction

Re: food addictions

I'm sure there was a thread like this a little while ago, or was that just addictions in general, I can't remember. Anyway I am always stuck on certain foods for weeks sometimes months and then I will move on to something else.

For breakfast I've recently moved from apricot wheats onto frosted shreddies and I absolutely adore moroccon chicken for lunch at the moment and have had it 4 days in a row so far. The only thing I drink at the moment is pepsi max (the small 250ml cans) or a mix of apple & raspberry squash and lime cordial with a couple of blackcurrant ice cubes.

I'm sure there was a thread like this a little while ago.

You were right Kelly, so I merged the two ; ]

As of late I am madly in love with macadamia nuts, both "sour Cream and Chives" and "Honey Butter" flavoured macadamias added to a regular trail mix make it really different :sticky_exclaim:

Last edited:

You were right Kelly, so I merged the two ; ]

As of late I am madly in love with macadamia nuts, both "sour Cream and Chives" and "Honey Butter" flavoured macadamias added to a regular trail mix make it really different

Beat me to it, hah... my search skills are failing :(

As for the nuts... I didn't even know there was a variation of this... I'll learn new stuff on this board everyday. Might check if we have those around here somewhere.

We've got a chain store set up here called "The Nut Shack" *stifles a giggle*

They do (obviously) all sorts of different types and variations of nuts, but also other things like lollies/ sweets/ candy from other countries, liquorice’s and dried fruits of all kinds.

I find I enjoy some Dutch liquorice, strips of dried Paw Paw is also nice, but the macadamias are awesome, there are about a half dozen different flavours and I am going to get some more today so will let you guys know what they are [the flavours]

pervasive specific food cravings

What I mean is a kind of food you crave on a regular basis, have trouble resisting, get edgy if you cannot get it & feel relieved of stress & craving when you do get it. I don't mean craving pizza today or craving ice-cream on a hot day, for example.

I used to have a few of these & it made it hard for my parents to feed me growing up. I was the finickiest kid ever. As I got into my teens, my diet did diversify somewhat BUT I still craved specific foods. A few years back, I began really working on health, vitamins & nutrition & ALL my cravings vanished BUT for one I'm having a heck of a time beating back:

SALTY CRUNCHY PLAIN CHIPS!!!! OMG! I know they're no good for me. I know they have no food value. I don't go nuts & eat huge amounts, but I hate the feeling of not being able to stop.

Can anyone relate? How do you manage your cravings? Anyone have a solution (besides STOP DOING IT!)

Re: pervasive specific food cravings

Nutella.

That Is All.

I make spontaneous grocery store excursions. Sometimes on those runs I also like to grab a pint of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked.

Nutella? My husband loves that stuff. That's his big-bad.

As for B&J's half baked, I haven't a clue as to what that actually is. I'm almost scared to find out, try it out of curiosity & wind up hopelessly addicted!

As for the salty chips, one thing I do id to NEVER just keep them in the house. Another strategy is to only buy the regular sized bags (never those big ones) so I can only eat a controlled amount. Distracting myself with a task sometimes takes my mind off of the craving...for a while. I also drink a lot of water whenever I eat them to wash some of the salt out & prevent me from bloating like a walrus.

These tricks are all fine & nice, but I want the problem to go away. I resent my body (or my brain) compelling me to do something I know I shouldn't do 7 really don't want to do.

pizza and chocolate. Even sometimes I will crave something else, but if pizza or chocolate something are an option I have to choose those, its like I feel like I don't know when I am gonna get to eat them again.

Mine varies, and it's usually a texture I want. They can last for days or weeks. Licorice, taffy, salt and vinegar chips, slushes, soft serve ice cream, tootsie rolls....

Gummi bears are a tremendous weakness of mine. And I can't turn down jelly beans. :)

I've eaten more of those Jelly Belly little (overpriced) jelly beans that I'm proud to admit. I managed to kick the sugar fix thing altogether so now I may be tempted, but it isn't a compulsion.

Boost Energy drink. I prefer drinks over food, but I do not drink alcohol. I generally get the sugar free version if I can help it.
Food wise, it is lentils and mushrooms.

Cheese crackers and chocolate. I think I got my chocoholism from my dad, who is known for his own chocoholism, and this might sound strange but I like to eat plain chocolate chips in a small bowl with a cup of milk. I do that pretty much every day, especially in the evening. I also eat cheese crackers almost every day.

1 week without chips! I feel like one of those recovering addicts in a 12 step programme celebrating those daily victories (1 day at a time!) over my addiction.

There's nothing I need to have every day (I don't really "do" the whole addiction thing - weird story) but if I had no self-control I would have Lays classic potato chips with cottage cheese to dip them in every day.

I MUST eat a yogurt after dinner. It's my dessert.
I suppose it's not a "problem", but it's become some sort of after-meal signature for me.

Do you mean obsession like eating the same food all the time or do you mean eating a certain food in excess?
If you mean the former, I am the same.
I wake up in the morning and have a few cups of black coffee before I have 1 full egg with 2 egg whites on two pieces of toast. A few hours later I have a stem of grapes, a nectarine, and coconut water. Later I'll have broccoli, a small can of turkey, and another stem of grapes. I drink coffee all day long throughout this.
I usually keep the same food routine for weeks or if we don't have the money to keep the same foods around and I am forced to change my habits.

New Threads

Top Bottom