• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Special Interests vs. Sensory Issues

Idahocalypse

Ravenpaw
How do your sensory issues affect your special interests and vice versa?

One of my major special interests is watching anime. But sometimes my sensory issues make me unable to tolerate watching certain series due to the lighting, animation style and rapid scene changes.

One example of this is Yuri! On Ice. For some reason that I can't quite pinpoint, the entire series feels like it's an assault on my senses and it overwhelms me to the point that I feel like I'm having a panic attack after watching a couple of episodes.

Again, for reasons I can't quite pinpoint, Inuyasha and Rurouni Kenshin have the exact opposite effect on me. In spite of their violent subject matter I tend to feel soothed while watching them, and I can easily fall asleep after watching a few episodes on my tablet in bed.

In addition to the lighting/animation style, voice acting plays another role in whether or not I find a particular series to be comforting or overwhelming. I don't like to pick sides in the dubs vs. subs war because I judge each cast on a case-by-case basis; some series sound better to me dubbed and others subbed.

mine DONT i DONT have any now- anxiety is too bad

One of my major special interests is watching anime. But sometimes my sensory issues make me unable to tolerate watching certain series due to the lighting, animation style and rapid scene changes.

One example of this is Yuri! On Ice. For some reason that I can't quite pinpoint, the entire series feels like it's an assault on my senses and it overwhelms me to the point that I feel like I'm having a panic attack after watching a couple of episodes.

Again, for reasons I can't quite pinpoint, Inuyasha and Rurouni Kenshin have the exact opposite effect on me. In spite of their violent subject matter I tend to feel soothed while watching them, and I can easily fall asleep after watching a few episodes on my tablet in bed.

In addition to the lighting/animation style, voice acting plays another role in whether or not I find a particular series to be comforting or overwhelming. I don't like to pick sides in the dubs vs. subs war because I judge each cast on a case-by-case basis; some series sound better to me dubbed and others subbed.

i think what you call interests all came from my mother i was just a container for them

I suppose sensory issues might influence my interests, I have a real interest in linguistics and listening to different cadences and translating just seems to soothe me somehow. Regardless of what the language is, I will take my time to break it down and eventually I can translate a lot of texts and so on just by relating them back to the languages I do know. Odd, but it works for me.

no
I suppose sensory issues might influence my interests, I have a real interest in linguistics and listening to different cadences and translating just seems to soothe me somehow. Regardless of what the language is, I will take my time to break it down and eventually I can translate a lot of texts and so on just by relating them back to the languages I do know. Odd, but it works for me.
bet its just autism - i do it but Latin based languages instead will we ever like being autistic or keep calling ourselves weird odd freak

I love music and love going to concerts, raves and festivals. Unfortunately I can never predict when those activities are too much. Sometimes I can spend a week at a music festival without problems, sometimes I get nauseous and lightheaded before the band even finishes setting up.

Same goes for going to the cinema. Luckily my boyfriend has learned to recognize when I'm about to get overwhelmed, so he quickly makes excuses to friends and takes me outside. I still feel like **** for ruining his night and mine though, especially since it's hard to explain to people what's going on.

rapid scene changes.
Rapid scene change bugs me the most. Something I watch months ago, can't remember the name. After 5 minutes I just gave up. It seems they keep changing things every 10 seconds. Though I seen worse too.

Characters with an annoying voice can drive me away too. I don't mind if they have a short role. But if they have a long role and I find this character is a real dick, this would be enough for me to stop watching a season I enjoyed before the character existed.

Here's one example. I always mention being interested in construction sites, and having lived across the street from one as a kid - but during those times I was also sensitive to many sounds that came from that site (and ONLY that site, not ones I've visited during my walks with my parents...for some reason); like the engine of the forklift, the banging made by the foundation drilling machine, and the electrical saws. I tried to watch a cartoon but that forklift turned on and I was already throwing a tantrum in response. It was even worse with the drilling machine. I used to shut my ears whenever that drilling machine was active, and I was so happy to see it finally go away (remember guys, I was interested in the construction site regardless, and mimicked it regardless using a toy model, whole other story). A few weeks later a different drilling machine arrived and it just ruined my whole day because I've been anticipating it make more of those damn sounds (and it wasn't even happening during sleep, still bothered me a lot). It just right near threw me into a mini-depression. Right now I wouldn't mind hearing the same sounds one bit...sensitivities change, I guess. So it was a matter of finding a balance between hearing all those sounds and still watching what went on within the site (not to mention mimicking it!)

Maybe you have synesthesia?
it could be a color flashing or maybe the frame rate is too slow and you sense the gaps and it disorients you @Idahocalypse ?

Your screen name is unusual may I ask why you chose it?

Last edited:
Maybe you have synisthesia?
it could be a color flashing or maybe the frame rate is too slow and you sense the gaps and it disorients you @Idahocalypse ?

Your screen name is unusual may I ask why you chose it?

Thank you for your response. I've heard of synesthesia, and I do associate specific words and numbers with specific colors. I've always thought of "Katie" as a "purple name", and the number 5 is a nacho cheese color while 9 is neon green.

The story behind my username is an interesting one. For some strange reason I incorrectly believed for many years that "Idahocalypse" was the name of the place where the character Frylock from Aqua Teen Hunger Force was born. I could swear that I read it on a fansite or something at some point in the distant past, but Frylock's article on Wikipedia makes no mention of it. Memories are fickle creatures.

Thank you for your response. I've heard of synesthesia, and I do associate specific words and numbers with specific colors. I've always thought of "Katie" as a "purple name", and the number 5 is a nacho cheese color while 9 is neon green.

The story behind my username is an interesting one. For some strange reason I incorrectly believed for many years that "Idahocalypse" was the name of the place where the character Frylock from Aqua Teen Hunger Force was born. I could swear that I read it on a fansite or something at some point in the distant past, but Frylock's article on Wikipedia makes no mention of it. Memories are fickle creatures.
Oh! I thought maybe you smooshed the word Idaho because you live there and the word Apocalypse together.
I get Ghost connection memories sometimes too...or maybe you saw that name bit some where and they just don't talk about it any more?
I live in eastern Oregon.

New Threads

Top Bottom