• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Something positive

Something nice perhaps...

Cover Photo 01.jpg

I had a rough day at work and I need some positive vibes. My positive thought is I got through the day.
Things will get better. xo
If work is hell well it is now the weekend to.have some fun.
And hopefully work is better on Monday

Just put your feet up, have some dessert and watch a fun movie.

My positive thought is that I am leaving in a few hours on a 7-day road trip to the upper peninsula of Michigan with my wife. Going to do some rockhounding along the beaches, hiking, check out some lighthouses, waterfalls, and to a boat tour of Pictured Rocks. Looking to find some of the many unique rocks and minerals that can only be found along the shores of the upper peninsula of Michigan.

My positive thought is that I am leaving in a few hours on a 7-day road trip to the upper peninsula of Michigan with my wife. Going to do some rockhounding along the beaches, hiking, check out some lighthouses, waterfalls, and to a boat tour of Pictured Rocks. Looking to find some of the many unique rocks and minerals that can only be found along the shores of the upper peninsula of Michigan.
Do you have a UV flashlight to go find Yooperlite? Good hunting.

Have switched to The Battle of Isandlawana. Perhaps that will yield more encouraging thoughts. :)

isandlawana.jpg

;)

My positive thoughts are good memories of childhood vacations in Copper Harbor, in the UP, especially looking for agates on the rocky beaches.

Do you have a UV flashlight to go find Yooperlite? Good hunting.
You betcha ay! Two, in fact. ;)

Woke up in Houghton, MI this morning. Heading up to Copper Harbor in a bit. Will work our way down the lakeshore to Ontonagan, then back to Houghton for the evening.

You betcha ay! Two, in fact. ;)

Woke up in Houghton, MI this morning. Heading up to Copper Harbor in a bit. Will work our way down the lakeshore to Ontonagan, then back to Houghton for the evening.
Up there, I used to enjoy the part of the Niagara Escarpment in the Porcupine Mountains. Please let me know how your Yooperlite hunt goes. If you are ever in the mood to go further afield there is some good rockhounding in the vicinity of Delta Utah. Snowflake Obsidian, Sunstone, Topaz (at Topaz Mountain) and Trilobites at the U Dig quarry.

On Nov 5th I will be heading to Morocco on a geology trip into the Anti-Atlas.

Last edited:
Up there, I used to enjoy the part of the Niagara Escarpment in the Porcupine Mountains. Please let me know how your Yooperlite hunt goes. If you are ever in the mood to go further afield there is some good rockhounding in the vicinity of Delta Utah. Snowflake Obsidian, Sunstone, Topaz (at Topaz Mountain) and Trilobites at the U Dig quarry.

On Nov 5th I will be heading to Morocco on a geology trip into the Anti-Atlas.
Thanks for the info.

So, last night, we tried our luck at Yooperlite hunting along Agate Beach Park. Frankly, it was us and about 4-5 other couples. I didn't realize it was such a popular thing, but here we are in 2023, social media and YouTube, so those with an interest are in the know. At any rate, we were out in the dark for the better part of 90 minutes or so, scanning every nook and cranny of that beach along a good 3/4 mile stretch. Nothing, nada. I am hoping we will have better luck along the stretch between Munising and Whitefish Point, but that will be in a few days.

I did find one nice agate at McClain State Park, as well as a few "Magates" (maybe agates) at McClain S.P. and Agate Beach Park.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting when I went up to the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula, Copper Harbor, but we got out on the beach and every rock, pebble, sand, everything was that dark Burgundy. All iron formation. Reminded me somewhat of the "red sand" beaches in Hawaii. As I was walking down to the beach, there was orange Thompsonite crystals imbedded into the rock, like a lot of it, including a huge vein of it about 6-8 inches wide and probably a good 20-25 feet. Of course, I purposefully left my rock hammer at home thinking I was walking along the beaches looking for pretty rocks. Go figure. I took pictures of it anyway.

As we made our way down the western Keweenaw coast, the vast majority of the rocks were iron formation, jaspers, and the like, but as we moved southward, we started to get into more colorful rocks. I was hoping to find some of those red and black magnetite conglomerates that I've seen others pick up, but no, "skunked again". I had my magnet on a stick with me at McClain S.P. and the sand was probably a good 10-20% magnetite, highly magnetic black grit.

Going to a huge rock shop in Ahmeek, about 10 miles north of Houghton/Hancock this morning and then to the Mining and Mineral Museum on the Michigan Tech University campus. Then traveling along the Lake Superior shoreline to Munising today.

Thanks for the info.

So, last night, we tried our luck at Yooperlite hunting along Agate Beach Park. Frankly, it was us and about 4-5 other couples. I didn't realize it was such a popular thing, but here we are in 2023, social media and YouTube, so those with an interest are in the know. At any rate, we were out in the dark for the better part of 90 minutes or so, scanning every nook and cranny of that beach along a good 3/4 mile stretch. Nothing, nada. I am hoping we will have better luck along the stretch between Munising and Whitefish Point, but that will be in a few days.

I did find one nice agate at McClain State Park, as well as a few "Magates" (maybe agates) at McClain S.P. and Agate Beach Park.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting when I went up to the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula, Copper Harbor, but we got out on the beach and every rock, pebble, sand, everything was that dark Burgundy. All iron formation. Reminded me somewhat of the "red sand" beaches in Hawaii. As I was walking down to the beach, there was orange Thompsonite crystals imbedded into the rock, like a lot of it, including a huge vein of it about 6-8 inches wide and probably a good 20-25 feet. Of course, I purposefully left my rock hammer at home thinking I was walking along the beaches looking for pretty rocks. Go figure. I took pictures of it anyway.

As we made our way down the western Keweenaw coast, the vast majority of the rocks were iron formation, jaspers, and the like, but as we moved southward, we started to get into more colorful rocks. I was hoping to find some of those red and black magnetite conglomerates that I've seen others pick up, but no, "skunked again". I had my magnet on a stick with me at McClain S.P. and the sand was probably a good 10-20% magnetite, highly magnetic black grit.

Going to a huge rock shop in Ahmeek, about 10 miles north of Houghton/Hancock this morning and then to the Mining and Mineral Museum on the Michigan Tech University campus. Then traveling along the Lake Superior shoreline to Munising today.
I have never encountered Thompsonite. I hope you will have better luck with Yooperlite on the beaches you will visit. Like finding petoskey stones around me anymore, you need to get to seldomly visited beaches.

I have never encountered Thompsonite. I hope you will have better luck with Yooperlite on the beaches you will visit. Like finding petoskey stones around me anymore, you need to get to seldomly visited beaches.

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpeg
    IMG_0478.jpeg
    787.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0479.jpeg
    IMG_0479.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0477.jpeg
    IMG_0477.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0476.jpeg
    IMG_0476.jpeg