• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Solo albums

thejuice

Was.listening to Spotify on random and a song come on that sounded like an impression of Pink Floyd. Then I checked and it was David Gilmore.

Which made me think when a band splits up and the key members go solo, it often goes that way. It's just not the same but their ego inflated to the point of obscuring their sense.

Last edited:
I mean pride is an illogical emotion. A cooly rational head would see that carrying on Pink Floyd (the real one) makes sense on a financial and artistic level rather than making some merely adequate solo records. I can't expect everyone to be like Spock however..

I mean pride is an illogical emotion. A cooly rational head would see that carrying on Pink Floyd (the real one) makes sense on a financial and artistic level rather than making some merely adequate solo records. I can't expect everyone to be like Spock however..
There are so many factors and or reasons why a band might break up. It's not always possible to "carry on" as you've put it. Speaking as someone who's been in bands. I don't think it's "ego" that makes one put out solo albums, any more than anyone who does anything is coming from "ego", which isn't a dirty word, at all, anyway, because we all need an ego to function in the world. It's more just that when you're a musician and you've developed THAT particular skill set, why not keep using it, when the band falls apart or breaks up?

It takes 1000's of hours of practice just to get good enough to be a professional musician, generally speaking. No different from doing a Masters degree. So much time.Why wouldn't you keep using that highly specialized skill set, after your group project has passed its used by date?

Golly I hope people don't think that way about me seeing as I stopped making music with my ex that I used to be in a band with, if I ever put out my own album, which I've considered and may do, by the way.

My cousin puts music on spotify day job is hairdresser, does session playing on side produces own songs in home studio.

Which made me think when a band splits up and the key members go solo, it often goes that way. It's just not the same but their ego inflated to the point of obscuring their sense.
Even when a band doesn't split up many artists are also solo performers. Being in a band doesn't meant that the band is your entire life and that you have nothing outside of it.

There are so many factors and or reasons why a band might break up. It's not always possible to "carry on" as you've put it. Speaking as someone who's been in bands. I don't think it's "ego" that makes one put out solo albums, any more than anyone who does anything is coming from "ego", which isn't a dirty word, at all, anyway, because we all need an ego to function in the world. It's more just that when you're a musician and you've developed THAT particular skill set, why not keep using it, when the band falls apart or breaks up?

It takes 1000's of hours of practice just to get good enough to be a professional musician, generally speaking. No different from doing a Masters degree. So much time.Why wouldn't you keep using that highly specialized skill set, after your group project has passed its used by date?

Golly I hope people don't think that way about me seeing as I stopped making music with my ex that I used to be in a band with, if I ever put out my own album, which I've considered and may do, by the way.

They say don't mix bands and relationships.. I was in a band with a couple, oh my days never again.. so many fights and passive aggression..

I agree but Pink Floyd imploded primarily because of ego in my opinion..

They were always very clever business people. They made their money and got out so they could live their lives. Then a bunch of lawyers from a record company threatened to sue if they didn't create more albums as per their contractual obligations. The very first of those albums was titled Wish You Were Here because none of them wanted to be there. The weird song in the middle of that album Welcome To Machine is a satire of what they thought of the record company executives. They remained very close friends all of their lives. The drummer Nick Mason appeared on Top Gear a couple of times.

We've got a bit of a home grown legend Jimmy Barnes who also makes a good example of this. His band Cold Chisel was huge here, incredibly popular for decades and we consider some of their songs to be like national anthems. But he was also a solo performer releasing many albums under his own name as well as collaborating with many other artists. The lead guitarist that seems to be with him all the time is his brother in law known as Johnny Diesel, he's also a talented solo performer in his own right. And in many of their later albums both Jimmy's and Johnny's kids are also performing.

These three gentlemen are considered to be rock royalty in Australia:

They say don't mix bands and relationships.. I was in a band with a couple, oh my days never again.. so many fights and passive aggression..

And it's true that ego can be a very destructive "thing" ( really, a non-thing ~because it's an illusory sense of self, as opposed to a healthy sense of self, couched in the reality of our indivisiveness), but, I haven't looked into the history of Pink Floyd, other than, I heard that Syd Barrett took too much acid and never really returned. Word has it he was catatonic in a mental hospital for years.

I loved Dark Side of the Moon, as a teenager, especially.

New Threads

Top Bottom