• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social group for special needs, could I do better? Started by Aura Todd, Today, 11:29 AM

Aura Todd

Please excuse me if this sounds a bit garbled, but I have edited this several times before posting. I hope this is the right forum

I'm in a social group based in Salisbury in Wiltshire. When I first joined it was brilliant. This is is a social group for people with mental health issues, disabled and people with learning difficulties.

I have Aspbergers so the group was ideal at the time because the woman who used to be in charge was easy to talk to. She has since left because the two new members of staff we took on caused a lot of upset, and many people began dropping out. Ten years later I'm still with lifestyles because without them I couldn't go to some of the places we have visited.

The group gave me the confidence to travel and get 'out there'. We have in the past been to some fantastic places like the Isle of Wight, Cadburys World in Birmingham etc. There is only a handful of people left now in Lifestyles, it's a bit like ‘same old same old’ (if you get what I mean)

At the time of it's creation, the social group was a very good idea, but the two member of staff (can't mention names) have run it into the ground over the years and it's just become, stale. We used to have disco's on Valentines day and at Christmas, we haven't had one for years but I don't miss it anyway.

The problem is that the two members of staff (one male, one female) are just not suited to deal with anyone with mental health let alone special needs or certainly autismn. Many people I know might disagree with me, let me explain one thing.

I am with another group which is a rescue and resilience team who treat me as part of the gang which is great as it boosts my confidence. I'm encouraged to take photos of the training exercises etc.

Only thing is my confidence is very low so when we go to the pub, I don't say a lot as I'm worried I'll embarrass myself.

In the social group, the 2 members of staff seem to only focus on what's 'wrong' with me and are both sarcastic and patronising, therefore their view is ‘I have special needs, I must be thick as a plank’. They also seem to get irritated as if they don’t want to be there, my dad says their only in it for the money and nothing else.

I also can’t talk to the female member of staff like the predecessor, as suddenly I realise she’s not listening to me, or I’m being ignored.

I’ve thought long and hard about jacking it in and going elsewhere, but then I think again and they do go to some great places.

Should I jack it in and go somewhere where I can actually get some respect?

Thanks for reading.

I suspect, if you do a pro/con list, you'd be leaving. Reading your post lists more cons than pros:

Cons:
member of staff have run it into the ground
it's just become, stale
only a handful of people left now in Lifestyles
members of staff are just not suited to deal with anyone with mental health let alone special needs or certainly autism
staff seem to only focus on what's 'wrong' with me
she’s not listening to me, or I’m being ignored

Pros:
they do go to some great places
Frankly, all the other things you list as positive seem to be in the past and not happening right now (When I first joined it was brilliant, used to have disco's, gave me the confidence to travel and get 'out there', the woman who used to be in charge was easy to talk to, etc).

Seems to me you'll need to decide if the opportunity to go to great places outweighs dealing with the negatives you listed. And it may; I think we all are willing to deal with some crap to get the things we really want. How much crap you're willing to deal with in this situation is something only you can determine though.

HTH

find another group,see if you can manage attending that one while attending the current one, and decide which one is better.

i go to a few groups for intellectual disabled adults and one of them has become very difficult to be in as a recent member joined about 2/3 sessions ago and he has been aggressive and abusive towards me because he has transphobic issues [its a LGBT group as well] and he has been forcing himself on my mate and trying to control him,hes really upset and wants to leave but ive convinced him not to and to stick with me in the group.

its incredible the effect of one bad person has on a group.

Thanks for your replies

one of them has become very difficult to be in as a recent member joined about 2/3 sessions ago and he has been aggressive and abusive towards me because he has transphobic issues

Blimey I wouldn't put up with that, have you told a member of staff?

I like my rescue team I'm with because they take the time to praise me. Only time the people notice me in the social group is when they nit pick me.

Thanks for your replies

Blimey I wouldn't put up with that, have you told a member of staff?

I like my rescue team I'm with because they take the time to praise me. Only time the people notice me in the social group is when they nit pick me.
hi aura, i have put up with it because i didnt know what to do,he was doing it all in front of the facillitator and the group, so i thought if they arent doing anything about it;it must be ok,but its my mate john whose made me realise we need to complain about his behavior as its not on,you cant be in an LGBT group and have major issues with being L/G/B/or T OR force yourself on fellow members.
hes an awful person,i was so polite to him and he says stuff to me like 'you are like a child' and 'dont go drinking anymore alcohol' in a nasty way [i never heard that,my mate john and my support staff heard it,we were out in a bar in the gay village], and the worst of it was telling me when we were outside the meeting area building; 'im going to call you emma,not em.' -i ask people to call me em because my redundant female name is emma and my new male name is emlyn so its easier for people to get used to the change but he is showing he doesnt like trans in the group and im pissed off.
im sorry for posting about my worries in your thread! i get going when im pissed off,sorry.

is your recovery group mental health based?
ive been thinking of joining a mental health based support group in manchester recently.

does the recovery group accept you for who you are and accomodate any ASD differences of yours?
as for the social group,i think they need dumping to be honest, if they are making you feel awful theyre not worth the aggro, perhaps get contact details of anyone in the social group you like so you can at least continue with them, i left a weekly disco club for people with learning disability i was at for a while as i really didnt like the behavior of one of the volunteers towards me,you have to cut ties with places to preserve your mental health.

Have no experience with this sort of group Aura Todd but if someone is attempting to force their perceptions on you, find another. Toothless has a lifetime of experience with this sort of ordeal so I would say, if you listen to anyone listen to her.

Last edited:
im sorry for posting about my worries in your thread! i get going when im pissed off,sorry.
Don't worry, we are all friends here

is your recovery group mental health based?
Was, also for people who are disabled and with special needs. I think the two people running it have lost their way.

does the recovery group accept you for who you are and accomodate any ASD differences of yours?
They do, but the social group don't. I find it rather overwhelming sometimes.

New Threads

Top Bottom