• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Smelling things

Sometimes I use it practically, I smell my clothing to know if it's dirty or not. I have a pretty good nose and my mother sometimes ask me to smell something (food) to see if it's still eatable. I hate that, because it usually stinks.

and I smell:

-Books. Love the smell of books, but not when there are big color prints in them, because these have a different smell. I mostly love the smell of old books.
- I smell rooms. I smell if it smells familiar or not.
- People. Some people smell great without even wearing deodorant or perfume. These people are great.
- I smell fabrics when I buy them. If they don't smell nice, I won't buy 'm.

I too, find myself drawn to the smell of things sometimes - including my own sweaty armpits, which is odd because it's not even an enjoyable smell... Glad to know I'm not alone there. o_O I also smell my fingers a lot. No idea why I do that.

Some smells have a really bad effect on me though - they are just repulsive and make me want to vomit. I need to get away from those smells, or avoid them completely.

:| I smelled everything as a kid. EVERYTHING. It was so embarrassing. Apparently, that was a part of the aspieness? Meh.

I like gentle scents, but the scents like sweet pea is pushing it. Vanilla, strawberries, caramel... I keep wax melts on hand, because having them melting is so relaxing.

In stores with candles, I have to smell every candle. :x

Places with new tire smells, shoe stores... ugh, I could live in those. >.>

For me smells bring me to , almost, an other dimention? someone gets what i am saying ? If i smell a scent from a flower that is realy comon here where i live in spring (i dont know the name of the flower sorry ) i get all this good sensations and good memories. this happens with a lot of wild plants, trees.
I usualy associate a storie of a book to the smell of the book (wierd i know)
And i can remember people by smell, wich is wierd too.
once i was in class and i just felt this perfume and i just toght "X is here" and she was and she didnt say nothing when she came in.
When I smell food i can distinguish some ingridients from others (if its like a soup our stuff like that)
I think this is a Aspie thing, just like there are people sensitive with sound, touch, sight.
:)

Newspapers

Decaying leaves in autumn

Inside of my guitar case

Toyotas' interior

But I hate that I still smell the cat pee in my carpet, although my cat died many years ago and the carpet has been cleaned several times.

There is a certain pine around here with a very sweet, creamy vanilla scent to its bark. Whenever I hike in an area with those, I am always stopping to smell them. I love the smell of my cat's fur, too, it's so soft and comforting. The smell of lichen kind of reminds me of cat's fur. There are all sorts of beautiful smells in the woods. Ghoulbler, I didn't know the after-rain smell was called petrichor, that's really interesting! It's interesting in town, it smells like a mix of fried food, car exhaust, and asphalt. Fresh cut grass is lovely,too. I like the smell of books, though if they are extremely musty it does make me feel a bit sick. I don't like really strong artificial fragrances or cigarette smoke, they give me a headache. I also associate people by their smell, I find it very comforting to smell my mom, which she thinks is funny. I love sniffing candles in the store, in addition to shampoos and conditioners. It's nice to see there are other sniffers.

What's the worst, though, is when you smell something that brings back a strong memory, but you can't for the life of you remember where or what. It's like deja vu, but with smell.
I love scent related memories. Sometimes a scent can bring back a memory of something or someone I haven't thought of for a long time. I always make my boyfriend sleep in his shirt the night before he leaves for a trip, because it will smell like him for a few days. :)

I remember that both me and my brother hated when our mom changed our sheets, because our beds didn't smell like us anymore.

I like fresh lilies and roses, my orange and myrrh voluspa candle, fresh sheets (ironically), hot asphalt after a rain.

Pine sap

Rosemary

Gasoline fumes

diesel smoke

wood smoke

Oak

Spent fireworks

paper that has been run through a copy machine

The smell of a new book

Ozone from an electrical spark

Fall leaves

The smell in the air after a summer rain

My own armpits after physical exertion (The strangest I think)

I'm curious to the smells you guys have an affinity for, or even the smells that repulse you.

Haha! Same!!! Add to that; elevator oil, old rich carburetor exhaust, old books, cigarettes, cannabis, females, frebreeze, fresh canvas, air conditioned rooms, and cannabis.

I can´t stand the smell of cigarretes and cigarrs, I feel I cant breath when someone is smoking around me. In general anything that´s burning it´s very annoying to me, like when someone cooks on a grill, or incense, or gasoline. I love the smell of pinetrees, lemon, some flowers that smell sweet and bread.

I cannot stand cigarettes, mainly because of the smell, partly because the smoke will always find its way in my direction (and then I feel like they are giving me cancer). Anytime I smell something bad (poop, people, some homes, some cars, etc) I just cannot hide it; I have to plug my nose or cover my mouth and nose with my shirt and hope it goes away.

On the other hand, I do like the smell of my deodorant, my soap, gummy bears, and I absolutely love the smell of french fries.

Despite having an amazing sense of smell, dogs sniff everything whether they like it or not, and they tend to be okay with bad smells that are not over-powering (e.g., ammonia) even when they are unpleasant. The same holds true for me.

Despite having an amazing sense of smell, dogs sniff everything whether they like it or not, and they tend to be okay with bad smells that are not over-powering (e.g., ammonia) even when they are unpleasant. The same holds true for me.

That goes for me too!! God knows I've smelled just about every smell known to man at the hospital (and then some!). I don't even lose my appetite either! How about you, Mr Icesyckel? Do you have an iron clad stomach?

That goes for me too!! God knows I've smelled just about every smell known to man at the hospital (and then some!). I don't even lose my appetite either! How about you, Mr Icesyckel? Do you have an iron clad stomach?

Most of the time, "yes." I once went for a rack of ribs after viewing the autopsy of an infant. The autopsy and the smell in the morgue were certainly mentally disturbing/upsetting to me, but for some reason it did not disrupt my appetite or my entree selection.

My very favorite smell is brush fire. Used to my dad would do a control burn on the woods every year to keep the brush under control (ya never know when a wildfire may hit) and I loved the smell of the smoke from the burning leaves and sticks.

But smell is also one of my sensitivities and all my sensitivities are tied to my stomach. It doesn't take much for me to lose my appetite. Bleh.

My very favorite smell is brush fire. Used to my dad would do a control burn on the woods every year to keep the brush under control (ya never know when a wildfire may hit) and I loved the smell of the smoke from the burning leaves and sticks.

But smell is also one of my sensitivities and all my sensitivities are tied to my stomach. It doesn't take much for me to lose my appetite. Bleh.

I love that too, also beeswax, wet caves, and old books.

BEST AROMAS:

My stuffed animal.

Fur branches under hot sunlight.

Manufacturer's packaging.

New bike.

Any bike after burning rubber.

Uggs.

Kittens. (Housetrained, healthy, with fresh litter to use, ect)

Saltwater pool.

Marsh.

Very new and old (but not person-musky) books.

HORRIFYING ODORS:

Body/foot/sweat/gassy odor.

Unwashed dog.

Cat house.

Cigarette/weed. The latter smells like expired skunk - YES, I REGRET THE MISFORTUNE OF EVER FINDING THAT OUT.

House musk.

Cooking aftermusk.

Dirty bathroom.

Poor/too infrequently replaced feminine hygiene. C'MON.

Yellow peppers.

Mold.

That's a good start. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom