• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sleep study

DaisyRose

V.I.P Member
Has anyone ever had a sleep study? I just finished mine as we speak. I’m an idiot because I brought the wrong medication because the bottles look similar. I was able to still go to sleep, which is good.

I also had very nice staff who hooked me up and gave me a walkthrough of what each thing was when they were placing them on me. I did feel uncomfortable with all the wires and bands.

The idea of a sleep study has always been confusing to me. It seems like being in a foreign environment, hooked up to all sorts of machines and sensors and the pressure to sleep would be enough to easily keep me awake all night. At the same time, I think the results could be pretty fascinating if data can be collected.

I’m doing my own unofficial sleep study for the next year with wearable technology, and it has been very enlightening. At the moment it is enlightening me that I really need to work on getting a little bit more sleep.

I’d be very curious to hear more about your experience if you wish to share, DaisyRose.

I have had several. My neurologist was pretty sure I had narcolepsy, but the first study was inconclusive because I also had obstructive sleep apnea. I had surgery to open up my airway. Then I had to have another sleep study. That study showed that I central sleep apnea, and needed an ASV breathing machine to correct it. Then I had to have another sleep study. The ASV has eliminated the apnea, and my neurologist was then able to determine the right combination of meds to keep the narcolepsy at bay.
I agree it is difficult to sleep with all the wires, in a strange place and a strange bed. But I slept enough for them to get the needed data.

I thought my experience was better than I thought it would be. It was nice and it took a while for me to get comfortable with the wires. I had to sleep with a pillow on my head because I always do that when I go to bed. It makes me feel safe. I loved the staff and will definitely give them a nice review when I get the survey. Of course I feel tired and didn’t sleep well like I normally do. She said everyone does that.

did two studies and was confirmed as narcoleptic

I enter into my rem stage in under one minute, but was never given a sound reason both times.

dog bed 2.jpg

I'm branching off the topic but it brought to mind the question if sleeping with dogs (I have slept with up to 4) helps or hinders sleep? There have actually been quite a few studies on it. While many are favorable some say in the room is ok but in the bed degrades quality sleep.

It is not reccomended for people with medical conditions such as sleep apnea, certain allergies and insomnia. But I think you should consult with your doctor if you have those and still would like to do so, as it may be very allegen specific and ok. But would take an expert to tell.

There are too many studies to list, but a quick google will bring up multiple ones for you to check out.

Personnaly I think it has Pros and Cons. I think it makes me sleep a little less efficiently, but on the positive side does wonders for my anxiety and stress levels (high blood pressure). So though it makes it somewhat harder to sleep it makes sleeping a much more relaxing and warm cuddly place.

And branching off my topic I stumbled upon this...

dog bed.jpg

They actually make dog beds for people! :D

Just thought of something. Not gonna lie, it was kinda difficult to go to the bathroom with all the wires. I had to put the cable around my neck that had all the other wires hooked up. That thing was so confusing because of all the colors lol.

Sleep studies remind me of Heisenberg. You can sleep normally, or you can study sleep, but you can't do both.

Like the dog bed, l probably would put it on my bed. With a couple of cats, making it a cool cat pad.

I had the best sleep of my life during a sleep study.
The temperature was just right, there was a night light, and the bed was comfortable.
Going to the bathroom is a tangled mess.
Other than that, I was out like under anesthesia. In fact, when the tech came in to wake me up that was my first thought. I thought I was waking up from surgery.
Don't remember any dreams. Nothing.

They said everything was fine. No apnea and no mention of any REM sleep problems.

I've had several sleep studies, too. Like other people mentioned, I didn't fall asleep all night. But they said even if you don't fall asleep you can still be in sleep mode. It showed that I had sleep apnea and I had to use a CPAP machine, which required a lot of maintenance - it was time-consuming. I used it for about four years. Then two years ago I had an at-home sleep study - I don't remember the details exactly, but it didn't require sticking anything to my body. It showed that I no longer had sleep apnea, and I no longer had to use a CPAP machine. It must have been because I lost a lot of weight.

Since then I've gained a bit of weight, and I've found myself feeling short of breath when I get out of bed. I certainly hope I'm not getting sleep apnea back again. I'm already overloaded with time-consuming things to do because of my other medical issues. If I have start using a CPAP machine again my schedule's going to be impossible!

Thanks for letting me rant.

I had a sleep study, and the machine I use has probably given me at least 10 years of my life back. Some people think I look younger and apparently my eyes and face used to look constantly baggy and grayish, and we all thought this was just "normal".

New Threads

Top Bottom