• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Selfesteem

Toni

I dont want to make long post about my history, but long depression and bullying destroyed my selfesteem to critical level where i thought about myself that im worthless and stupid human being that cannot do anything right. I have always valued myself by how well i perform in different ways, how well i do in school and do i have a job etc.. Because depression and other difficulties of how well i do with people, i was mentally disabled for many years and couldnt do much of anything.
In past year i moved to different city to be closer to my son, i started to do work with myself and slowly started to get better. I started to realize that i can do well if i put myself to work.
I started to be with people more and did daily walks and started to draw again, which was long time on brake.
Anyways now that i have got my selfesteem back again :) i did a list in which ways very low selfesteem affected me, and maybe it does similar way to other people aswell.

If you have good selfesteem:

-You can take critism and jokes about yourself . Every negative thing doesnt feel crushing and you can just brush it off.
-You are more relaxed with other people, in sometime i was carefully moving my body and thinking about the poses that they dont seem "funny" also affects how expressive you are.
-Social "mistakes" dont feel so crushing and you dont think about them too much with good selfesteem.
-Trust about your skills is healthy and positive and new situations are seen in positive light as a opportunities and not challenges.
-How intelligent you think you are, if your selfesteem is low you might start to think your stupid and if its hight you might start to think (sometimes falsely) that you are smart.
-Other peoples facial expressions doesnt affect you. If someone is smiling you dont start to think that they are mocking you.
-You can defend your own beliefs and values and can argue with other people about different topics.
-Your self image is more positive. For example looking at the mirror you see yourself more attractive.
-You dont have to prove yourself to other people or try to please them. You can do your own intrests.
-You are socially more confident and more relaxed. And in that way more skilled.
-You can take rejection in healthy way and dont start to think that theres something wrong about you.
-You love yourself more.
-You see world in different more positive light.

Very well said Toni. A number of my problems in life have faded as I grow in self-acceptance and self-esteem.

This one popped out which I will remember!

"Other peoples facial expressions doesnt affect you"

New Threads

Top Bottom