• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

SELF-MEDICATION

I was real proud of myself for not having any "addictions" which I thought of as stuff like coke and weed and heroin. Then I realized I was addicted to sugar and chocolate. My mom finally took away all my candy, and the withdrawal was horrible, and it lasted two weeks. Then relapse and voluntary detox in a cycle for a couple years, until the cravings finally went away. I eat maybe one candy bar a day now, when before I was eating a dozen or more, or whole big bags of M&M's or peanut butter cups. Today I follow a religion (which I made up myself, since the PRAY TO JESUS AND BE SAVED! stuff is not my thing) that says that reality must be faced directly, without walls or intermediaries such as substances.

I medicate more with internet, and interest obsessions, which sometimes wastes too much valuable time.

Hahaha. This.

The internet might not be the ideal way to regulate emotion, but I tend to think, whatever works, for now. There are worse vices.

Last edited:
I was real proud of myself for not having any "addictions" which I thought of as stuff like coke and weed and heroin. Then I realized I was addicted to sugar and chocolate. My mom finally took away all my candy, and the withdrawal was horrible, and it lasted two weeks. Then relapse and voluntary detox in a cycle for a couple years, until the cravings finally went away. I eat maybe one candy bar a day now, when before I was eating a dozen or more, or whole big bags of M&M's or peanut butter cups. Today I follow a religion (which I made up myself, since the PRAY TO JESUS AND BE SAVED! stuff is not my thing) that says that reality must be faced directly, without walls or intermediaries such as substances.
Know what you mean about pray to Jesus and be saved thing. The fire insurance salesmen totally ruined that religion. I finally studied very carefully alone without “them” and found some treasures in it. I had to go inside the book as if I was present in the stories to get the brainwash to fall off. I found a good place to go to avoid that and I’ll never be a part of the fire insurance people ever again! They may be misguided, but they missed the point and caused damage.They added their own dogma to the interpretation which was erroneous.

Maybe eventually you can cut the candy bar in four pieces and have a bite only sometimes after a meal. Hooray for progress! I bet you feel a whole lot better! Spiritually and physically. Life is a journey.

I was born with a chromosome issue which makes me unable (literally UNABLE ) to sleep. I cannot take meds because of the chromosome. So I have to do other things, but I do fear I may start to drink. I held out a long time with NOTHING. Just sucked it up and it has nearly killed me.

I wish there was a med I could take. I take herbs, but they laugh at me. I took 30 herbs one night and just got hyper. THey were ALL sleep meds. Laughed me to pieces.

I want to drink, but can't.

So I guess it's good I can't use. But it is not that I am morally strong. Just physically weak. My heart goes out to all who suffer.

The best medication to treat psychological trauma is marijuana in editable form. Good strains with a low paranoia side-effect.

Weed is not unhealthy (unless you smoke it) or addictive. So it's easy to moderate. It really soothes the soul.

Alcohol is a really nasty drug. It's addictive, unhealthy and messes with your inhibitory control center in your brain. It's poison, IMO.

Yes. I drink too much. In the past, and when stressed, far too much. Other drugs, no.

Quick edibles: take a gram of weed, grind it up and put it in a tinfoil tray in an oven at 300 F for 20 minutes occasionally stirring. Then take 1/10th and sprinkle it on some food. Like a salad with oil dressing or a buttered cracker. (Usually oil and butter make it absorb better into your system. It may work without.)

It takes about 1 to 2 hrs to kick in. And lasts for 4 hours. It works best if you're engaged in some kind of activity. If you just lay down with no stimuli, the effects can be unpleasing.

Last edited:
The best medication to treat psychological trauma is marijuana in editable form. Good strains with a low paranoia side-effect.

So, in other words, marju marijauna marjawana pot? :D

Just having a little fun...

You do have a point about the paranoia. I like pot because I have intrusive thoughts. Most people get these, but they move quickly in and out of their heads. I dwell on my intrusive thoughts, for whatever reason, but when I smoke pot, I can't dwell on them anymore and they just move in and out. It works wonders for my anxiety and depression.

Weed is not unhealthy (unless you smoke it) or addictive. So it's easy to moderate. It really soothes the soul.

See my conversation with @HidinginPlainSight earlier. It can become addictive if you overdo it. In cases like mine, it can become distressing if I have no other coping skills for dealing with the anxiety or depression, because quitting cold turkey would cause the anxiety and depression to come rushing right back.

Alcohol is a really nasty drug. It's addictive, unhealthy and messes with your inhibitory control center in your brain. It's poison, IMO.

It sure is. I'm not much of a drinker. As I always say, I only drink socially and I'm never social.

I've got half a mind to give it up completely and never touch alcohol again.

Quick edibles: take a gram of weed, grind it up and put it in a tinfoil tray in an oven at 300 F for 20 minutes occasionally stirring. Then take 1/10th and sprinkle it on some food. Like a salad with oil dressing or a buttered cracker. (Usually oil and butter make it absorb better into your system. It may work without.)

I mix the ABV (Already Been Vaped) weed with vegetable oil in a jar, then put the jar in a crock pot full of water, and leave the crock pot on "warm" for the better part of a day.

You do have a point about the paranoia. I like pot because I have intrusive thoughts. Most people get these, but they move quickly in and out of their heads. I dwell on my intrusive thoughts, for whatever reason, but when I smoke pot, I can't dwell on them anymore and they just move in and out. It works wonders for my anxiety and depression.

I like to tackle those intrusive, bullying thoughts head on. ("Unborn chicken voices in my head.")

Bully them back!

It's a very dangerous line of work, but I figure someone's gotta do it.

Last edited:
See my conversation with @HidinginPlainSight earlier. It can become addictive if you overdo it. In cases like mine, it can become distressing if I have no other coping skills for dealing with the anxiety or depression, because quitting cold turkey would cause the anxiety and depression to come rushing right back.

Good points. All things in moderation.

Last edited:
First thought I always get in relation to addiction is that I don't really get addicted to or reliant on things. But that's not true. I don't care much about alcohol or drugs or even coffee but I've had an eating disorder for 20 years or so and I do believe there's an addictive component in that.

It's tough baring your soul and feeling as if you exposed too much of yourself. I do it all the time online, and regret it....

I knew that's exactly what I had gone & done AGAIN with this & that's why I disappeared for 2 weeks. I was embarrassed. Aren't I just the social butterfly, blithely offering up personal introspection and thought-provoking subjects to "get a dialogue going" ....jeez. Sometimes I really wish I was mute & also unable to communicate via writing either. Thanks to everyone for your responses though, I really appreciate it!.

I was a destructive alchoholic and addict for 18 years. It nearly killed me. I went to treatment in 1991 and have been sober since. My therapist thought it odd that my obsession with 12 Step recovery is actually the very thing that saved my life I did not think I was self-medicating. I just liked to get high. It made everything fit and it gave me a social outlet. I was deep into the drug culture and my odd behavior was easily explained away by my heavy drug use and alcohol consumption. I was a functional addict and as alcoholic and did not see alcohol and drugs as a problem until I got involved with the Crips out of South Centeal and found myself in a multistate drug distribution ring. I messed up the money and they were going to kill me. That's the thing about the drug culture. It can go real bad real fast. Recovery was a real struggle for me. I was undiagnosed and really didn't get into the fellowship. I did, however, get into the 12 Steps and have helped hundreds of alcoholics and addicts to recover. Quite a few of them are undiagnosed Aspies, and my diagnosis has them looking at the possibility that they are on the spectrum. I have a few Aspie friends on recovery. I am doing much better than they because they are at the stage where they want so desperately to fit into the fellowship. My experience tells me it's not going to happen, but they must figure it out for themselves just as I did. I had one young lady die from drugs at age 27. She struggled to stay sober. After I was diagnosed I felt I had the key to help her get sober and stay sober. Alas, she was too far gone. That was a sad day when Sarah went away.

I was a destructive alchoholic and addict for 18 years. It nearly killed me. I went to treatment in 1991 and have been sober since. My therapist thought it odd that my obsession with 12 Step recovery is actually the very thing that saved my life I did not think I was self-medicating. I just liked to get high. It made everything fit and it gave me a social outlet. I was deep into the drug culture and my odd behavior was easily explained away by my heavy drug use and alcohol consumption. I was a functional addict and as alcoholic and did not see alcohol and drugs as a problem until I got involved with the Crips out of South Centeal and found myself in a multistate drug distribution ring. I messed up the money and they were going to kill me. That's the thing about the drug culture. It can go real bad real fast. Recovery was a real struggle for me. I was undiagnosed and really didn't get into the fellowship. I did, however, get into the 12 Steps and have helped hundreds of alcoholics and addicts to recover. Quite a few of them are undiagnosed Aspies, and my diagnosis has them looking at the possibility that they are on the spectrum. I have a few Aspie friends on recovery. I am doing much better than they because they are at the stage where they want so desperately to fit into the fellowship. My experience tells me it's not going to happen, but they must figure it out for themselves just as I did. I had one young lady die from drugs at age 27. She struggled to stay sober. After I was diagnosed I felt I had the key to help her get sober and stay sober. Alas, she was too far gone. That was a sad day when Sarah went away.

That is an interesting story, one that would have me thinking fate were at work here if I believed in such things. Because
if I were anyone other than myself, if I'd lived any other life than this, I would find it extremely difficult to reconcile my concept of someone that has HFA with any capacity for something like gang affiliation. I'd doubtlessly label it in black & white terms and maybe call such a thing, IDK...mutually exclusive?

But I've been there myself. As you said, drugs take you very quickly down roads you wouldn't otherwise go down in a million years. It's a slippery slope. After using meth for a while, i decided to teach myself myself how to make it - not to sell or give toanyone, but to keep myself supplied & aviod associating with drug dealers. Since I lack any sense of "street smarts" (orcommon sense for that matter) I got myself busted with alacrity.

Prison is unpleasant for anyone, but for someone with HFA it's a very special kind of hell. The defense mechanisms & coping skills we'd previously relied on to get us through social adversity are simply not available. There's nowhere to be alone, you're surrounded at all times by people who specialize in exploiting weakness. You even shower in a crowd, and when you get to your cell you'll have a cellmate who does NOT read, whose only escape is * shudder* conversation - the ultimate Aspie deadend. For me it invariably went downhill as I could neither refuse to talk nor feign interest for very long. While all other inmates would beg, plead, and snitch on their best friends to stay out of solitary confinement, I did everything I could to land there as much as possible. It was the only peace or joy I had of any kind during the 7 years I was locked up. Any kind of trouble that puts you in a separation cell is aslo big enough to push your parole date back, and I had to do an extra 3 years because solitude was so necessary for me that I intentionally got into trouble, trading any possibility of parole for that year for a few sweet days of escape.

Anyway there's a point: In Texas we have a lot of Spanish-speaking people and hearing it spoken around me so much in prison I found myself fascinated with the language & it became my new special interest. I checked out books on it in the library, watched Telenovelas with the "Eses" and somehow my attempts to immerse myself in Mexican-American culture resulted in me becoming a member of Texas Syndicate. I think my social reticence was somehow misinterpreted by them as silent strength or something, and for my part I've always been susceptible to a Dances With Wolves/The Last Samurai kind of mentality (I've read that a lot of people with HFA, etc. do very well in foreign cultures where their social mistakes are easily forgiven & generally taken as unfamiliarity with the culture).

I might be wrong but I'm thinking an autistic gang member has GOT to be extraordinarily rare and only made possible by extremely serendipitous conditions (just pretend I'm using that word right).

Another thing I want to add is along the same paradoxical lines. I'm glad that NA has been so effective in managing your substance abuse problem. I am no stranger to those groups but have never been able to derive any benefit from them. I'm uncomfortable, I fidget, I'm bored out of my mind. I don't like "sharing" and I don't get the point when others do. I don't make the social connections that are crucial to the program. It feels like punishment the whole time I'm in there and I'm acutely aware that I'm not like the people around me. Once again, I don't belong.

Anyway, thanks for your input here.

It’s interesting for me to hear about aspies who had success with a 12 step program. My experience was like that of @jacinto. I didn’t get it at all despite having a sponsor, going to meetings and working the steps for a time. I was never comfortable with sharing or the endless being touched by an unwanted hug or handshake, or being expected to hold hands with strangers for the serenity prayer which was awful etc etc.

For me it was full of contradiction and generally an unpleasant experience. I quit heroin by myself in the end and reduced my methadone script over time untill I was free of it. If it works for you fantastic, I feel however that the fellowship is a completely incompatible way for most aspies to get drug/drink free.

I bristle a bit at the term "self-medicating". But that is just me.

I had alcohol and marijuana available to me when I was younger, yet I was far too wary of them to try. Not that I was scared straight, it is simply my nature to be very suspicious of things that "everyone is doing".

I did have a couple of early experiences with alcohol and tobacco that gave me a healthy distaste for overuse, though I eventually did start experimenting and finding that I rather liked the warm pleasant feeling I get from a drink or two

My early college years found me trying to fit in by drinking at parties and going to the campus adjacent dive bar. At this time, I also worked at a sporting goods shop that had a strong drinking culture. (I worked in the ski shop which had the fun drinkers, but we mixed in with the hunting and fishing guys who were DWI type drinkers).

At this time, I also hung out a lot with my best friend from childhood, and my cousins, who all had/have serious drinking problems.

Anyways, after about two years of binge drinking on weekends, I developed a strong aversion to hangovers, and instigated a three drink limit which has stuck for 25 years.

While I understand the idea of self medicating and certainly notice an improvement in social functioning with a few drinks ( and for a few years in my late 20's marijuana). I guess I've found that self medicating has been about as successful for me as physician prescribed medication has been for me. In other words, not that effective. Still, I enjoy a drink or two from time to time.

With recent legalization, I have tried edible marijuana though I haven't noticed much effect, except for the confections that my nephew makes (he's a classically trained chef who lives in Colorado). I might be unfairly comparing the effects to the total mind altering effects I felt from big hits of pot, which were a lot of fun, but once again, I had a couple over-use experiences that scared me off.

I guess what has always medicated me the best is daily vigorous exercise, so I run, bike, hike, ski and lift weights to feel good.

That is an interesting story, one that would have me thinking fate were at work here if I believed in such things. Because
if I were anyone other than myself, if I'd lived any other life than this, I would find it extremely difficult to reconcile my concept of someone that has HFA with any capacity for something like gang affiliation. I'd doubtlessly label it in black & white terms and maybe call such a thing, IDK...mutually exclusive?

But I've been there myself. As you said, drugs take you very quickly down roads you wouldn't otherwise go down in a million years. It's a slippery slope. After using meth for a while, i decided to teach myself myself how to make it - not to sell or give toanyone, but to keep myself supplied & aviod associating with drug dealers. Since I lack any sense of "street smarts" (orcommon sense for that matter) I got myself busted with alacrity.

Prison is unpleasant for anyone, but for someone with HFA it's a very special kind of hell. The defense mechanisms & coping skills we'd previously relied on to get us through social adversity are simply not available. There's nowhere to be alone, you're surrounded at all times by people who specialize in exploiting weakness. You even shower in a crowd, and when you get to your cell you'll have a cellmate who does NOT read, whose only escape is * shudder* conversation - the ultimate Aspie deadend. For me it invariably went downhill as I could neither refuse to talk nor feign interest for very long. While all other inmates would beg, plead, and snitch on their best friends to stay out of solitary confinement, I did everything I could to land there as much as possible. It was the only peace or joy I had of any kind during the 7 years I was locked up. Any kind of trouble that puts you in a separation cell is aslo big enough to push your parole date back, and I had to do an extra 3 years because solitude was so necessary for me that I intentionally got into trouble, trading any possibility of parole for that year for a few sweet days of escape.

Anyway there's a point: In Texas we have a lot of Spanish-speaking people and hearing it spoken around me so much in prison I found myself fascinated with the language & it became my new special interest. I checked out books on it in the library, watched Telenovelas with the "Eses" and somehow my attempts to immerse myself in Mexican-American culture resulted in me becoming a member of Texas Syndicate. I think my social reticence was somehow misinterpreted by them as silent strength or something, and for my part I've always been susceptible to a Dances With Wolves/The Last Samurai kind of mentality (I've read that a lot of people with HFA, etc. do very well in foreign cultures where their social mistakes are easily forgiven & generally taken as unfamiliarity with the culture).

I might be wrong but I'm thinking an autistic gang member has GOT to be extraordinarily rare and only made possible by extremely serendipitous conditions (just pretend I'm using that word right).

Another thing I want to add is along the same paradoxical lines. I'm glad that NA has been so effective in managing your substance abuse problem. I am no stranger to those groups but have never been able to derive any benefit from them. I'm uncomfortable, I fidget, I'm bored out of my mind. I don't like "sharing" and I don't get the point when others do. I don't make the social connections that are crucial to the program. It feels like punishment the whole time I'm in there and I'm acutely aware that I'm not like the people around me. Once again, I don't belong.

Anyway, thanks for your input here.

We'll call this Kismet! I am very intuitive and rarely visit here. It's even more rare that I post anything on this site. But yesterday I had a strong feeling it was important for me to do so. Your story is my story apart from divine intervention. I totally relate to solitary confinement. By God's mercy I've never been locked up, even though I was confronted with the possibility on multiple occassions. My idea was to do time in solitary confinement if I ever went to prison. That was a consequence that never materialized even though I broke the law on a daily basis. I've been pulled over 6 times for drunk driving and the police let me go.

I really relate to the NA fellowship failure. I left NA because they hug too much. I found my way to AA where a handshake would suffice. It was there that I felt most welcome. I had my share of problems with the fellowship for what I thought was racial animus. I am Black and, of course, AA is mostly White. However, I had fellowship issues with acceptance in Narcotics Anonymous, as well as Cocaine Anonymous, and these are majority Black fellowships. I was operating as an undiagnosed Aspie at the time, and I now have a better understanding of why the NT addicts and alcoholics responded to me as they did. Fortunately, I was basing my recovery on the AA Program, not the AA fellowship. This is where I think you were misguided. When AA first started they relied on the Steps because they did not have a fellowship. The AA founders met with the Oxford Group, an evangelical Christian fellowship. This was a rocky relationship at best. The AA's didn't care much for the Oxford Group fellowship, but they worked the Oxford Group program, which eventually became the Twelve Steps. It turns out many of the AA Founders were undiagnosed Aspies, who self-medicated with alcohol and drugs. I find it ironic that NT's enjoy the fruits of these Aspie's labor, but most Aspies do not.

My current sponsor is an undiagnosed Aspie. He doesn't care. His obsession is the AA Program and history. It was another instance of Kismet that brought us together. My first four sponsors were NTs. I didn't connect with the first three, but the fourth sponsor felt like a divine assignment. He was very knowledgeable about the psychological application of the Steps. We didn't associate with each other very much because he was a pilot and simply wasn't around very much. But he didn't understand many of the Aspergers related issues, no more than I understood them at the time. He prepared me for my current sponsor, who understands the spiritual aspects of the Twelve Steps. He lives an hour away and we dont associate much either. However, he taught me to focus on the Steps, not the fellowship. I do the same with those alcoholics and addicts I sponsor. Many of them are undiagnosed Aspies who are considering their condition in light of my recent diagnosis. They are addicts and alcoholics who struggled with the social aspect of the fellowship based recovery. Some of them never return to the fellowship, but successfully navigate life sober with a new set of tools that helps them surmount life's problems in spite of their social dyslexia.

I want to know if I can share your story. I had been considering shutting down a couple of meetings I put together that focuses on the Steps over the fellowship. However, after seeing your story I am inspired to carry on so that other Aspie addicts/alcoholics might have an option to a fellowship that does not understand them and they cannot relate to.

@Jerome said "I want to know if I can share your story."

Sure J. go for it. The mere idea that something I've said in an overshare like this might actually be useful to someone is kind of an unexpected honor because even though I'm usually aiming for positivity I can never really be sure what effect my words will have on people. It's ridiculous. What is intended to be the most light-hearted, friendly banter with someone I know well is as likely to result in shocked/hurt/annoyed reactions as it is to result in a laugh or whatever I intended. Just a complete gamble at all times.

I like that you asked, that's very considerate.

New Threads

Top Bottom