• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Seeing Temple Grandin

So, we were given 3 $300 each tickets to the Autism society of Colorado Gala in Denver on November 5th. We also received free tickets last year [the food! OMG! The food!] Temple Grandin will be the keynote speaker. This same weekend we are attending [free to all attendees] a retreat for disability activists, which includes meals, hotel, everything, in Colorado Springs. [ we live in Pueblo]

What husband and youngest son want to do is to attend the disability activists retreat until around 4, then drive to Denver for the other function, drive back to Colorado springs late that evening and sleep at the hotel, get up and finish the retreat until it is over [around noon] and then go home.

So, excited to meet other activists, maybe interview some of them for my you tube channel, the Antique Autistic, learn new activism skills,and tape Temple Grandin at the gala [and the food. want to tape the food!]

this kind of thing never happens to me. Never. But I am feeling bad that we are going to miss the Colorado Springs dinner, keynote speaker and a workshop, and sleep in the motel that is paid for by the sponsoring organization.We only live an hour from the event in colorado Springs and so I feel that since we will not be at the entire event, that we should just drive all of the way home on Saturday night and return to finish up the retreat in the morning after breakfast. Bobby thinks i am crazy for not wanting to use the free room since we will be missing part of the event. What do you all think?

I'm jealous. :p I wanted to go to the autism conference with Temple Grandin in Baltimore last month but my mom said it was too expensive.

I'm jealous. :p I wanted to go to the autism conference with Temple Grandin in Baltimore last month but my mom said it was too expensive.

Did you look into a scholarship discount? if you're on the spectrum and can't afford full price. They should let you in at a significantly discounted price. Are autism conference here in my town normally cost about $250. But I get in for about $30. You might want to look into it.

Excellent! I hope the food is wonderful again, and that you really enjoy seeing Temple! I just saw her Saturday here in Massachusetts, my support staff took me. I felt so very grateful. I love the name of your YouTube channel, by the way!

The only reason that I was able to go for free is because the autism society of colorado hosts a pizza night once a month. The first time we went we saw a very tired looking man with his severely disabled autistic son. To me the father looked like a poor single man who maybe worked as a janitor or something and saved all month for the once a month pizza night [no, I cannot tell rich folks clothes from wal-mart] We sat with them because the man looked so alone. We started looking for him every month. Sooooooo. One time he asked us if we were going to the Gala. I said that I would love to go but that it was WAY out of our price range so we weren't going. He invited us to sit at his table. I remember thinking "How can this man afford to go to the Gala?" Anyway, he had bought a table [actually 2] was a board member and has almost as much money as God. So, we went, and this year he invited us again.

Did you look into a scholarship discount? if you're on the spectrum and can't afford full price. They should let you in at a significantly discounted price. Are autism conference here in my town normally cost about $250. But I get in for about $30. You might want to look into it.

1) It was last month. :p
2) It would have been $50 for me, and I wouldn't have minded, but $120 for my NT mom. She didn't want to pay that.

i wanted to see temple when she came to the north of england a few months ago,the area manager of the autism services i was supported by [until i got kicked out after several incidents and then they closed down recently] had always said us two would go and see her if temple ever comes over but she went without saying, but she told me she got to speak to temple and she told her about me as im one of her biggest fans.
still,she should have told me temple was there,i was upset for ages.

New Threads

Top Bottom