• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Religion related opinion

AnthonyH

I'd like to get a general opinion on this predicament of mine that relates to religion.

You see, I identify as an atheist, but have been active in my church's choir for about 2 and a half years now. I go because I genuinely enjoy singing and the pieces our director chooses are usually difficult to grasp and I enjoy rising to the challenge and finally getting it down. Plus now I'm the only tenor that shows up most of the time so if I quit, they'd be up the creek without a paddle.....

So what are all of your opinions? Is it odd that I am a member of this choir even though I don't align myself with their ideology? So odd I should quit? Should I tell them all I don't believe what they believe? Or should I not fix what isn't broken and keep my yap shut?

Go talk to the choir leader or pastor or both. Lay out the situation for them and let them decide if you should quit, continue, or continue until a new tenor can be found.

I am Catholic, and generally, we allow anyone to participate in choir, regardless of their beliefs. (It would be different if you wanted to be part of a ministry, such as teaching youth) Don't worry about it, if your group is truly Christian they will be happy to have you. :)

I wouldn't worry about it and just continue as you have done. I'm no expert but I think Church is about community as well as religion.

With respect, I think it is dishonest. The people you are singing with think you believe the songs. To allow them to continue believing this seems immoral.

With respect, I think it is dishonest. The people you are singing with think you believe the songs. To allow them to continue believing this seems immoral.

We sing a wide variety of songs, ranging from several topics of Christianity from different parts of history. We literally sing about creation at times and how god made everything, so I highly doubt that they believe most of the songs we sing either.

We sing a wide variety of songs, ranging from several topics of Christianity from different parts of history. We literally sing about creation at times and how god made everything, so I highly doubt that they believe most of the songs we sing either.
Most Christians do. I do. It's dishonest, that's my opinion. You asked for opinions. Take it or leave it.

Maybe you should look into why you feel this way...is something missing?....is your church teaching beliefs you think are not correct?....have you let your self drift away from God by not spending personal time with him?....has some worldly thing come between your heart and God.

Church is church...and being close to God is a whole different thing....many people belong to churches....few draw close to Gods heart.
Even I a life long church member and ministers son have to keep reminding my self to take more personal time with God....it really does make a difference.
Even just a few minutes talking with God before going to bed seems to change my heart and soul for awhile.
A soft lightness of heart comes from speaking from the heart to God....try it you will see.
Make God your God....not just your churches God.

Best wishes Maelstrom :)....worry about the choir singing later....try to fix your heart first

I understand what you are saying and I thank you for your kind words. I comprehend the difference between believing in a god and attending church services. My father advocated as being a spiritualist more than a theist. As for what they teach, I have no qualms with; kinda hard to argue with the golden rule. But as for the existence of a higher power, I simply see no evidence. Now I don't consider myself thick headed, so if someone someday were to present viable evidence of a god or gods that is falsifiable, then I would definitely place it under consideration. But until then I simply state that I cannot accept your position on faith alone. Thank you again for your input

I'm a practicing Catholic, and I think it would be fine. If you want to feel more comfortable, it wouldn't hurt to talk to the priest/pastor/choir director about your feelings. I really don't think they would kick you out. In my university Catholic choir (I was the director!) we had Lutherans and evangelicals who sang with us and came to our meetings. They were open about their differences and had no interest in converting, and we were all very friendly about it. I know those are just differences within Christianity, but that's my experience! If you enjoy church and choir, I'd say keep going-- why ruin a good thing?

Is your "predicament" because in your heart, you don't want to pretend or appear to be a pretender? Leaving things the way they are will not decrease the conflict. I suggest you be up front about the situation. That's when you'll find out if it's broken or not, and if it is broken, that's when you find out how to fix it.
But please don't sing out of guilt ("...they'd be up the creek..."). God's word says He puts the person there that He wants there: "But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased."

Is your "predicament" because in your heart, you don't want to pretend or appear to be a pretender? Leaving things the way they are will not decrease the conflict. I suggest you be up front about the situation. That's when you'll find out if it's broken or not, and if it is broken, that's when you find out how to fix it.
But please don't sing out of guilt ("...they'd be up the creek..."). God's word says He puts the person there that He wants there: "But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased."

I suppose it's more of how can I call myself an atheist properly and still attend church services, like I can't fully call myself that title because of my involvement there

There's a pulpit joke I hear sometimes: "Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than being in a garage makes you a car." There are a lot of Non-Christians in church because they think they can earn their way into Heaven by attending; your reason is more honest: you like to sing! But to clear up your conflict, talk with the pastor and clear the air. If the pastor defers to the director, talk with the director, but make your stand clear, starting at the top.

Ironic this dilemma of the OP seems to parallel that of telling people one is on the spectrum all the while mimicking NT behaviors to some degree just to fit in and likely accomplish some personal agenda.

I've spent most of my adult life in a sort of deception to hide my true neurological profile. So I'd feel a bit silly about righteously saying what you're doing is wrong.

I'd rather not be a "pretender" either. But I also know that being true to myself towards everyone else who is significantly different from me usually comes at a cost.

AnthonyH's disclosure may come at a cost too, but sometimes disclosing Aspergers costs one a friend, family member, social standing, or even a job.

well you picked the one person ever born to have the maximum number of proofs on Gods existence.... but I am not sure you really wish to hear any.
I have mixed feelings on whether you should leave the church if your heart is set against God...on the one hand I have see such people cause much harm sowing discord and disbelief among others....but you also may never come back to church once you leave....and die!
I thought about saying this earlier, I don't know a single person that's has *blind* faith in Christianity.

yes....it is a catch 22 if you offer evidence it is discounted out of hand....how do I prove my life was saved by a Angel... they can just sit there and call me a liar all day long...but I have other proofs....I find they are not welcome usually... the truth is just not wanted....we and God are inconvenient
Yes. In my experience even purely scientific evidence is simply disregarded, often without even being examined.

New Threads

Top Bottom