• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Religion interests inquiry

What religion are you currently?

• Christianity

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Islam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buddhism

• Catholic

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Paganism

• Judaism

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Mennonite

• Scientology

• Atheist

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

paloftoon

V.I.P Member
I am curious how people on the spectrum might fall in terms of religion and if you care to share what made you what you are today. If you don't wish to share, that is okay too.

I apologize in advance if I missed some important ones. I am not able to add anymore options than what you see.

I consider myself agnostic, but I jive best religiously with people who are atheist or agnostic. I personally don't care to make religion part of my internal life, but accept its existence and hope it brings others the personal internal feelings they need to be good people to all and to stay alive.

I'm a moderate Muslim of no particular sect. I was raised as agnostic/atheist. I looked into different religions as a child during my 4 hour long daily library sessions and Islam in its true non-hijacked form appealed to me the most, so I converted aged 12. I have respect for all religions, and those who follow none, as well.

I don't know why I was motivated to say "other," apart from the fact that atheism isn't a religion. That's a bit like saying that "off" is a television channel.

I have had a long and awkward "journey of beliefs". Much of it was cringe worthy. I'm a Christian now, back to what I was originally but with more context and understanding of what makes it true to my conscience.

My Mom was a Christian, my Dad an agnostic. My Godmother was a Buddhist, and my both her and my Godfather were formerly in Scientology. I have learned about all these different ways of seeing the world + some and have taken away something positive from all of them. My parents gave me the freedom to figure out what I wanted for myself, so as a child I was a Christian (not anymore).

My boyfriend pointed out to me that Veganism was my religion not to long ago and we had a nice conversation about it, and to me it makes sense. It is the ideal I live by, there a many ways to interpret the ideals and there are fanatics, like with most other religions.

I apologize if it is offensive to people that I am refering to Veganism as a religion, but that is what it is to me.

Last edited:
I didn't answer the actual survey because I don't like to put myself in a box. I suppose "Secular Humanist" might best describe me...basically a Christian but without the religious elements. I attend a UU church, which is populated with all sorts of people, and I love being exposed to people of all sorts of different beliefs, especially those outside the "mainstream" here in the Southern US (which I assume is what draws these people to the UU church to begin with, and basically describes anyone that doesn't fall under a specific guise or branch of Christianity). I'd rather question, and have questioned by others, what I think I know rather than outright profess any belief or lack thereof...which is why I decline to call myself an "atheist," I suppose...

There's a UU church here in Huntsville, but I really don't know much about their belief system, manner of worship, etc. Do you use a Bible per se, believe in any of the orthodox Christian doctrines, etc.? My background is Roman Catholic and Baptist with a five-week stint in a hyper-charismatic church; talk about sensory overload!!!
I can't speak much for UU as a whole (though I imagine it's largely the same across the board), but actually most of our topics are either outside of religion entirely, or focused more on the history of religions, belief systems, etc. There isn't any specific belief system they espouse; rather, it's a place that tends to attract "misfits," and the congregants run the gamut from liberal Christians, to atheists/secular humanists, to Jews and Hindus, to Pagans and Christopagans, Buddhists, etc. The idea is to have an open forum where people with different viewpoints and from different backgrounds can all learn from one another and have open discussion of ideas, rather than to gather around any particular faith, doctrine, or philosophy. The Sunday schools are designed to encourage children to find their own paths, rather than to preach any particular viewpoint to them. So the answer to your question, I suppose, is a definite "no."

I know, it's strange, especially for a small town in the deep South, where there isn't even a single Synagogue, Mosque, or Buddhist temple. When I first started attending people asked me if I was surprised that there was little, if any, mention of God, or form of worship; I said no, I already knew that, and that's why I decided to start attending.

Perhaps replacing 'Christian' with 'Protestant' would help? Catholicism and Mennonite are both Christian sects. Perhaps leaving 'Christian' and eliminating these two would help the results? Or with Muslims- Sunni or Shia?

I don't know why I was motivated to say "other," apart from the fact that atheism isn't a religion. That's a bit like saying that "off" is a television channel.

Not only is "off" a television channel, but due to the complete rubbish that is aired these days, the best channel of all! :D

I highly recommend it.

Thought I would put in this map of the second most popular religions in the US, was quite surprised by it.

second-largest-religion-each-state_0_0.png

http://mentalfloss.com/article/63258/25-maps-describe-america

+
My Mom was a Christian, my Dad an agnostic. My Godmother was a Buddhist, and my both her and my Godfather were formerly in Scientology. I have learned about all these different ways of seeing the world + some and have taken away something positive from all of them. My parents gave me the freedom to figure out what I wanted for myself, so as a child I was a Christian (not anymore).

My boyfriend pointed out to me that Veganism was my religion not to long ago and we had a nice conversation about it, and to me it makes sense. It is the ideal I live by, there a many ways to interpret the ideals and there are fanatics, like with most other religions.

I apologize if it is offensive to people that I am refering to Veganism as a religion, but that is what it is to me.
I am also a vegan and see what you mean. I used to be aggressively evangelical about it, probably did more harm than good.

I am also a vegan (as well as Muslim, some people think that is weird) and see what you mean. I used to be aggressively evangelical about it, probably did more harm than good. I do sometimes wonder if I would have the commitment to stay vegan for coming up to four years now if I was NT?

Perhaps replacing 'Christian' with 'Protestant' would help? Catholicism and Mennonite are both Christian sects. Perhaps leaving 'Christian' and eliminating these two would help the results...?
S/he could just change Christianity to Christianity, N.O.S.

New Threads

Top Bottom