• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Relationships

Bumbalina

Hi. So my husband and I joined last night. I'm the NT and he's the aspie (self diagnosed)

So here's the first of my questions. What's the hardest thing about dating or being married to an NT. What would make the relationship easier for you and how can I be more understanding?

Thanks in advance :)

Hmmm... I think there is a whole lot too that. Hard to say quickly what is the hardest thing.

But one thing that came to mind was once we became aware that I really did have a light/moderate case of Aspergers, my wife's opinion/respect for my opinion and mental capacity seemed to take a big hit. It was like all of a sudden she did not take it very seriously, because after all I was somewhat autistic.

She seemed to instantly forget the many years I had functioned successfully in a career (military) and as Husband/Dad. She focused instead on the negative aspects and it was a hard slog to fight my way back to something like equality. Moral of the story Autism does not equal insanity and HFA does not mean Mentally Disabled.

once we became aware that I really did have a light/moderate case of Aspergers, my wife's opinion/respect for my opinion and mental capacity seemed to take a big hit. It was like all of a sudden she did not take it very seriously, because after all I was somewhat autistic.

She seemed to instantly forget the many years I had functioned successfully in a career (military) and as Husband/Dad.

I'm experiencing a degree of this, now that my dx is official. I don't think my DH minimizes my abilities so much as he's simply trying to understand what I really can or can't do comfortably, and he's resorting to minimal expectations rather than overshooting it...if that makes sense? But it's frustrating at the same time.

There are a bunch of issues that make this hard, but also a lot of things that make it worthwhile. I think the hardest thing for him is the fact that my sensory sensitivities have kicked into high gear the past couple of years. His primary "love language" is touch, and I just can't go there much right now.

The hardest thing for me...is feeling so alone inside. I'm aware enough to read other people's body language and facial expressions. I can see what pleasure they experience from being with other people. And I've wanted that for myself as long as I can remember. I've studied psychology and relationships and everything, and tried to learn how to emulate the behaviors that seem to result in people experiencing the joys of being with others. But it doesn't work that way for me. Interaction with people is not inherently pleasurable for me, no matter how many social skills I master. There are rewards...something keeps me engaged on some level, even if it's just naive hope or dogged commitment. And I enjoy seeing other people pleased with something I've done for them--I enjoy being useful. But I don't enjoy the interactions themselves, even though I want to.

What would make the relationship easier for you and how can I be more understanding?

I think, if my DH can understand that I really do love him, that my aversion to lots of interaction is not an indication that I don't love him, that would help me feel more secure in the relationship.

For me, love is less about the warm fuzzies and more about things like commitment, kindness, wanting you to have what you want in life, accomplishing significant goals with each other, working well as a team, while also having lots of time for personal growth and exploration (e.g., "alone time" or personal hobbies or whatever).

If he's angry or sad, and I give him space, that's because that's what I would want, and I can't quite imagine that anything else would be particularly useful or comforting. At the same time, I want to learn what he needs. But it's hard for him to imagine that anyone wouldn't know these things, so he's resistant to detailing out what he would prefer. And then it's awkward, because I don't want to do those things just out of obligation, either. I need time to figure out how to incorporate that information in a way that feels authentic for me. I will take the information to heart. I just need time to process it.

Basically, I think what helps in an AS/NT relationship is realizing that you're both functioning from very different paradigms, especially when it comes to emotions. But so long as you're both committed and open to communicating clearly, waiting patiently, and accepting that there will continue to be significant differences in the ways you experience the world, the relationship can still work. Like I said, there are a lot of good things about a neurodiverse relationship, too, and specifically about being in a relationship with an aspie (although being autistic does not guarantee that the person has personal integrity and respectable character...that's an individual thing).

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to post such a lengthy and detailed reply. I really do appreciate it. I haven't quite worked out how to do the whole 'quoting others' bit yet.

I guess for me, it's kinda strange because I am an outgoing, confident but very sensitive and anxious person and feeling loved for me comes from contact and warmth and love. I'm lucky because Neil can "read me" very well and therefore he's able to respond the way I need him too. He admits that cuddles and contact isn't always something that he needs but now and again I can tell he likes it

Last edited:
I haven't quite worked out how to do the whole 'quoting others' bit yet.

Regarding quotes...

Select the text you want to quote. When you release the mouse button, the options Quote and Reply appear.

upload_2016-1-12_14-1-0.png

Click Quote to add that quote to your clipboard, or click Reply to quote that text and immediately go to the reply box at the bottom. You can add quotes from your clipboard by clicking Insert Quotes in the reply box.

If you want to quote the whole post instead of just a portion, click Quote at the bottom of the post:

upload_2016-1-12_14-3-14.png

I guess for me, it's kinda strange

Strange perhaps, yes, but not illegitimate. Don't take that the wrong way--it's been really hard for me to understand this for myself, even.

Like, I believed that love is feeling warmth for someone...that you should simply enjoy being with that person, without having to "accomplish" anything or "perform." And I kept trying and trying to feel that way. I'd beat myself up for not being able to reach that goal, and eventually decided everyone else is faking it too, so I'd rather be authentic in my relationships than to keep trying to fake it like this.

I truly thought everyone would be relieved to learn they didn't have to fake the warm fuzzies with me anymore, and that I was open to having relationship based on authenticity, even if that didn't look so "cuddly." That was the response I expected, and that people would slowly realize the peace and rest available in relationship when we didn't have to fake this stuff, when we could give each other space without feeling guilty, when we could work alongside each other without having to cater to the other person's emotions, and so on. I had this all worked out in my head.

But then people started getting really hurt when I was attempting to be authentic, and I couldn't figure it out. I was truly shocked. It didn't make sense. And it was this mismatch in perceptions and expectations and inner experience that finally led me to autism as the explanation (part of it, anyway...I also have C-PTSD from chronic child abuse).

Strange perhaps, yes, but not illegitimate. Don't take that the wrong way--it's been really hard for me to understand this for myself, even.

Like, I believed that love is feeling warmth for someone...that you should simply enjoy being with that person, without having to "accomplish" anything or "perform." And I kept trying and trying to feel that way. I'd beat myself up for not being able to reach that goal, and eventually decided everyone else is faking it too, so I'd rather be authentic in my relationships than to keep trying to fake it like this.

I truly thought everyone would be relieved to learn they didn't have to fake the warm fuzzies with me anymore, and that I was open to having relationship based on authenticity, even if that didn't look so "cuddly." That was the response I expected, and that people would slowly realize the peace and rest available in relationship when we didn't have to fake this stuff, when we could give each other space without feeling guilty, when we could work alongside each other without having to cater to the other person's emotions, and so on. I had this all worked out in my head.

But then people started getting really hurt when I was attempting to be authentic, and I couldn't figure it out. I was truly shocked. It didn't make sense. And it was this mismatch in perceptions and expectations and inner experience that finally led me to autism as the explanation (part of it, anyway...I also have C-PTSD from chronic child abuse).

Oh crap, I never meant to quote the whole thing. I'm using a phone and I'm not doing a good job of it!

Thank you for helping me, I will master it eventually :)

I'm sorry you have had to go through a difficult childhood. I did too, mainly alcoholic parents and pretty much spoilt and left to my own devices. In a nutshell, the start of my horrific insecurities. Neil, my husband is the first guy I have ever been totally honest with about my life, my inner thoughts and everything about me and I think it's because I have never, ever felt judged by him. This makes me feel very lucky and very comfortable.

I'm very loving. I care too much and loving others and helping others is what makes me happy. I have the fuzzies for neil. I don't think he experiences the same feeling but he makes me feel loved and that's good enough for me.

He can also infuriate me too (but that's just life).

Last edited:
I think the thing I always want in my relationship, but don't always feel I get, is for my partner to try to understand me better, even if he doesn't get it right all the time. It sounds as if you have already made that a priority, otherwise you wouldn't have posted your question :)

I was married to an NT for eight wonderful years. he's still a great guy but, our lives and careers are going in opposite directions now and, I chose my career over my marriage.

The hardest part with a NT for me is always communication. NTs don't think about how I don't take hints and, I do take what they say literally unless it's a figure of speech or metaphor I have memorized so, they use them and, I misunderstand.

They also tend to answer or reply to only a part of what I say, making me feel as if I was not heard or not understood. That leads to me having to repeat myself, and getting the same reply, then getting frustrated, raising my voice and, a fight ensues.

If I could tell an NT just one thing to do to make the relationship easier or better for me it would be this: Respond to every part of what I say, not just the part you think is my main point.

The first thing I told my NT wife when we started dating was that I do not understand many of the flirtation games.

You may need (or it can help) to take the lead during some social situations.

Having AS is like having bad vision, but with body language.

Every year or two someone thinks I am lying, cheating, and/or stealing. Be on the lookout for this.

I guess for me, it's kinda strange because I am an outgoing, confident but very sensitive and anxious person and feeling loved for me comes from contact and warmth and love.

This might be a weird thing to say, but it might be good if you experience some anxiety- the neurotypical friends I have who do have anxiety problems are usually easier to relate to. I can frame my aspie problems in terms of anxiety and it makes communication much easier. If your guy has anxiety too that might be a good communication bridge.

New Threads

Top Bottom