• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Q: Autistic & deaf

Ylva

V.I.P Member
I am told that in the deaf community, it is considered incredibly rude to not make eye contact. Considering how many autistics (albeit not all) find eye contact anything from unpleasant to painful, I wonder how deaf autistics deal with that. Does anyone have any information?

I am told that in the deaf community, it is considered incredibly rude to not make eye contact. Considering how many autistics (albeit not all) find eye contact anything from unpleasant to painful, I wonder how deaf autistics deal with that. Does anyone have any information?

Don't know for sure, but think they probably have to start making eye contact in order to even read sign language.

Not sure how many deaf ppl on this site. It might be better to look up deaf oganizations and ask them.

Deaf people are almost wholly dependent on vision for everything. I've noticed that they are uncomfortable speaking to hearing people unless the hearing person is facing them even though we can hear with our backs to them. I'm very close to a profoundly deaf person who says "turn on the lights, I can't hear you". She lip reads rather than using sign language, which is pretty much the superior way for deaf people to communicate. Few hearing people know sign language but if a deaf person can speak and lip read, then the entire hearing world is more accessible to them.

The term "loud hands" finally takes on meaning.

Thank you for your replies.

Sign language uses facial expressions as grammar. Doing a sign correctly requires use of hands and face. Conversely, understanding signs requires seeing both. So eye contact is not crucial, but looking at the other person's face is.

Deaf people are almost wholly dependent on vision for everything. I've noticed that they are uncomfortable speaking to hearing people unless the hearing person is facing them even though we can hear with our backs to them. I'm very close to a profoundly deaf person who says "turn on the lights, I can't hear you". She lip reads rather than using sign language, which is pretty much the superior way for deaf people to communicate. Few hearing people know sign language but if a deaf person can speak and lip read, then the entire hearing world is more accessible to them.

There is a pretty large group of people who are both deaf and blind. They tried to join blind groups but were not well accepted. I met a few and found out about this, so suggested they try deaf groups. The deaf helped them a lot. I liked deaf groups before that happened, but more after that. It is very traumatic for a blind person to go deaf. They tend to be hyper on their other senses like a lot of Aspies are. I have a cousin-in-law who is blind and going deaf. He could still hear better than a lot of NTs the last time I was around him, but was already going deaf.

New Threads

Top Bottom