• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Possibility of doing a coding course at Sheffield College

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Above.

Here goes.

Saw a post on Sheffield College's Facebook page last week about a coding course which they're running this year.

Should I try and get on this course? Baring in mind I have a Chromebook PC and most coding is done on a Windows?

Here is the website about the course.

Last edited:
Depends on what the requirements are. If what they're doing in that course requires Windows? Then no, dont take it yet.... you need a different computer first.

Frankly, MOST computer-related classes/courses at colleges assume the use of Windows (which also means you need to be able to fully use Windows yourself, since chances are that's what all of their computers use). Not just coding. And some will absolutely expect/assume that you have access to a proper Windows machine at home.

The best thing you can do is just to ask them directly. Dont just ask on this forum... a college course is way too big of a thing to base a decision on what's said in this place.

I'm not sure how colleges there differ from ones in the US, but.... yeah, if they're even remotely like the ones I've been to, you *need* to ask about the details before making a decision like that.

Above.

Here goes.

Saw a post on Sheffield College's Facebook page last week about a coding course which they're running this year.

Should I try and get on this course? Baring in mind I have a Chromebook PC and most coding is done on a Windows?

Here is the website about the course.
Keep in mind that it might not lead to employment. If England is anything like the US, entry level programming and coding jobs are more likely to go to 20 year olds, than folks our age. Sadly, IT is a young man's game and I gave up trying to get back into it. Instead I am just going to bite the big one and go back to driving a truck.

Keep in mind that it might not lead to employment. If England is anything like the US, entry level programming and coding jobs are more likely to go to 20 year olds, than folks our age. Sadly, IT is a young man's game and I gave up trying to get back into it. Instead I am just going to bite the big one and go back to driving a truck.

My Brother works in IT and will be 45 a fortnight tomorrow.

Also, I don't drive for personal reasons so I wouldn't be able to drive a truck :(

Not to mention that lower-level degrees are often not worth a bloody thing, in many cases.

I have an associates degree in computer science. Turned out, it's bloody useless. Basically EVERYTHING requires at LEAST a bachelors degree. At least, that's how it is in my region. Perhaps things are less bloody stupid outside of the US.

Not that I mind at this point. I'm *really* glad I didnt end up in that side of the gaming industry that I was pursuing. I shudder to think that I could have. Ugh.

Not to mention that lower-level degrees are often not worth a bloody thing, in many cases.

I have an associates degree in computer science. Turned out, it's bloody useless. Basically EVERYTHING requires at LEAST a bachelors degree. At least, that's how it is in my region. Perhaps things are less bloody stupid outside of the US.

Not that I mind at this point. I'm *really* glad I didnt end up in that side of the gaming industry that I was pursuing. I shudder to think that I could have. Ugh.

By the same token, in some cases if you don't have a Degree in some form of IT or computer science, some places bin your application on principle.

If I'd done considerably better at school than I did in my exams, I'd half consider doing a game programming course at Uni, maybe even out of Town, my Brother went to Sunderland Uni in 1990 and came back with an IT Degree and a Girlfriend who is now my Sister in law of nearly 12 years.

Last edited:
Looks more like a contest to show off one's existing skills and much less like a serious course to actually learn programming at a realistic rate. Where you will have to interact with "competitors" rather than fellow students. With a goal of "auditioning" to industry representatives. All on a very accelerated timeline.

When they say "boot camp", they mean it. I'd take a long look at the actual ten-day itinerary.

Small wonder they put it in such fine print. I'm guessing you haven't actually read that portion of the site. (Weeks 1 & 2- day by day)

Sheffield College - Software Developer Bootcamp

Looks more like a contest to show off one's existing skills and much less like a serious course to actually learn programming at a realistic rate. Where you will have to interact with "competitors" rather than fellow students. With a goal of "auditioning" to industry representatives. All on a very accelerated timeline.

When they say "boot camp", they mean it. I'd take a long look at the actual ten-day itinerary.

Small wonder they put it in such fine print. I'm guessing you haven't actually read that portion of the site. (Weeks 1 & 2- day by day)

Sheffield College - Software Developer Bootcamp

If it's an intense "Boot Camp" scenario it's probably not for me, I prefer learning at a MUCH slower pace to take it all in.

If it's an intense "Boot Camp" scenario it's probably not for me, I prefer learning at a MUCH slower pace to take it all in.

You really need to read the fine print. I don't think you'll like what you see. It's quite structured, and apparently very focused on group activities. There's nothing in this program that reflects much of anything happening at a slow pace.

Looks like an ideal chance for someone with existing comprehensive programming skills to stand out at a very fast pace. Leaving out all the others who are there to actually try to learn something.

Such a course format strikes me as little more than a "teaser". Not seriously designed to get people jobs, but rather to get them to commit to comprehensive academic programs. Small wonder it's all sponsored by a college. ;)

Last edited:
By the same token, in some cases if you don't have a Degree in some form of IT or computer science, some places bin your application on principle.

Aye, this is unfortunately true in many cases. To most employers it's easier (lazier) to just insta-dump someone's application if they dont have a degree, rather than learn more about the applicant to see what skills they actually have. Yet they'll accept someone WITH the degree even if that person is dumber (and less skilled) than a sack of hammers, because that's the low effort route. Which might explain some computer products out there (such as absolutely anything made by Microsoft).

Bloody stupid, really, but I dont get to make the rules, do I...

And then I went and looked closely at that description of the course... ye gods, that sounds like a mess. Real coding is NOT something you learn in two weeks, even if you rush. Honestly that's not even enough time to get the basics down. Maybe I'm missing something here, and maybe this is just me being jaded, but this all sounds a bit shady to me.

To be honest though, colleges in general often sound shady to me, and I say this as someone that went to one.

My Brother works in IT and will be 45 a fortnight tomorrow.

Also, I don't drive for personal reasons so I wouldn't be able to drive a truck :(
Trust me, driving a truck isn't really any great shakes. It's just a whole lot better than working a pointless job like being a security guard. In my last security guard gig, I was literally paid to guard an empty room. The key difference between you and your brother is that your brother is already in IT at 45. It's a hard career to start out in at our age. Age discrimination is rampant and if trucking companies could discriminate on age, they would. The problem for the trucking companies is that there is a huge labor shortage so they pretty much need to take anyone that will pass a DOT Physical and has a CDL A. This is one of the few industries where the employer needs the employee more than the employee needs the employer.

New Threads

Top Bottom