• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Physical Self-Calming

AutistheFrog

Resident Paleontology Nerd
When I was a child, I used to jump on the bed, and so my mother got me a small trampoline. I used it until it broke, so my mother got me a bouncier trampoline that was also small. I jumped on this trampoline until I was 22. When I was 22, I got a severe injury from that trampoline that destroyed my left knee to the point that I needed surgery to repair the damage done. Now there are certain things I can't do. These include kneeling on that knee (which is uncomfortable), and jumping up and down (which causes a painful jolt to go through my knee), and sometimes running too. (I also have mild asthma, and can go into a coughing fit from running.) Instead, I now usually swing on swings. The problem is, swings are not always available for me to use. For example, sometimes I get hyper in the middle of the night, or when it's pouring rain. It has been suggested to me to use an exercise ball, which I do find helpful sitting on and bouncing, but not as helpful as the trampoline or the swings.

So keeping in mind that pacing doesn't calm me down enough, jumping up and down on my feet is painful, kneeling is uncomfortable, and running is difficult...what other ways could there be that would release hyperactivity in similar ways? I know this is a difficult question, but I really need other methods.

Have you ever tried swimming? I find it the perfect fix all for all of my stimming and hyperactivity release needs. It allows you to freely bend, flex and contort your body to it's full range with virtually no impact at all. if you're not in very good shape. try wearing a pair of fins while you swim.

Have you ever tried swimming? I find it the perfect fix all for all of my stimming and hyperactivity release needs. It allows you to freely bend, flex and contort your body to it's full range with virtually no impact at all. if you're not in very good shape. try wearing a pair of fins while you swim.

Sadly, swimming is just like swinging. You can't do it in the middle of the night, and most of us here can't afford to have pools. On top of that, my body is female, and I suffer from PCOS, which can cause irregularities in my cycle and could prevent me from swimming for very long periods of time.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm afraid swimming can't be a regular fix for me.

Hmm I'm a cyclist when the weather is good, I too have knee injuries from many kinds of sports, as well as an ankle injury.

If you decide on something like a stationary bike, you can do this any time of the day or night. Your injuries will likely repair and strengthen over time if you take the bike route, it took several years to feel better with the outside biking and the stationary one. But it strengthened my knees and my ankles.

Actually found a stationary bike for twelve dollars at a charity shop, repaired it and have been using it inside when the weather is cold ever since. Another exercise that will strengthen your ankles and your knees is skating, if you live in the kind of climate that is conducive to it.

My sensory diet is impacted by knee injury, also.
A series of rubbery elastic resistance bands can be purchased from Amazon. Stretching one of these can be done any time, no matter the weather, and it only takes a few minutes to feel good. :)

Swinging on a swing: I sense the benefits the day after I swing, and the benefits last a few days before I need to go swinging again.

Idealy though, I should be swinging daily for 20 minutes, as part of my sensory diet.

Tugging with a tugging rope with my large, enthusiastic dog is written into my sensory diet goal tracking sheets. My support workers help me monitor how the swinging, tugging, and stretchy band stretching is helping. Sensory diet makes a difference in my self care and independent living abilities.

Hmm I'm a cyclist when the weather is good, I too have knee injuries from many kinds of sports, as well as an ankle injury.

If you decide on something like a stationary bike, you can do this any time of the day or night. Your injuries will likely repair and strengthen over time if you take the bike route, it took several years to feel better with the outside biking and the stationary one. But it strengthened my knees and my ankles.

Actually found a stationary bike for twelve dollars at a charity shop, repaired it and have been using it inside when the weather is cold ever since. Another exercise that will strengthen your ankles and your knees is skating, if you live in the kind of climate that is conducive to it.

I never learned how to ride a non-stationary bike, and honestly, stationary biking never did it for me. I remember having to use a stationary bike in physical therapy after my surgery. Unfortunately I tend to be really picky when it comes to ways to help with sensory overload or hyperactivity. Some things just don't feel right.

I run around in a little circle for hours at a time and I have to find something else too as I am in my sixties and eventually my knees or ankles [ankles deformed] will give out and I do not know how I will cope.

the antique autistic , it seems we golden autistics find some helpful workarounds for our favorite stims. ;)
Getting a doorway chin-up bar to hang from can help, or
Using a rocking chair
Swinging on a swing set
Squishing under a weighted blanket
Stretching a resistance band
Tugging with a rope either a playful dog
Spinning stim toys
Zipping around on a scooter board
Just some ideas.

i second warmhearts suggestion on swinging [not THAT type,all you dirty minds out there], i have quite severe spinal nerve damage and used to use a special needs high back seat on a normal wooden swing frame,you can get the whole set up quite cheaply,i pushed my self with my arms on the frame and altered the four ropes on the swing so that it was in a lie back position and it was so calming.
im going to buy my own set up when i lose enough weight.

One technique that will work for almost anyone's physical condition is a system of floor exercises called The Egoscue Method.

I learned from a book, and there are several out now. Works all the muscles, helps with posture, relieves pain... and there's no equipment needed.

New Threads

Top Bottom