• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Over Paying For Gifts

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
I have no idea why people will over pay for a sold out gift for a person especially for kids? In my point of view, it not showing the child good values as they are going to pick up your habits. Never once when I was a kid I made a fuss to my parents I didn't get the gift I wanted for Christmas. It is not the end of the world yet oddly people don't want to disappoint someone.

I think people do that out of love and a desire to make the other person happy.

If parents can afford to pay more than the normal price, maybe it will just teach the positive values of generosity and doing good for others. (Of course, there are ways to be generous and do good for other others that don't involve spending any money at all.)

I don't think going out of your way to get your kids what they want for Christmas or birthdays or whatever means they won't learn how to handle disappointment or won't learn "It's the thought that counts". (If that's the kind of good values you mean? Gratitude and manners and concern for others and the value of non-material things?) I think life provides lots of other opportunities to teach those things even if parents manage to get their kids exactly what they want for every gift.

I try to get my kids the things they ask for... within reason...

But if something is sold out before I get a chance to get it, then its tough, they don't get it.

They know they don't get everything they want.

penguin,i dont know if you remember back in the earlyish nineties,thunderbirds tracy island was out of stock everywhere at christmas and parents were going crazy paying tons of money for the set,even as a child i wondered why.
i got computer games every christmas usually ones that had been out for a while and pirated sports clothing from the local market if mine had been shredded to bits i never understood the concept of christmas so it was very confusing to be given new things,kids demand to much now days and the pressure isnt fair on parents.

penguin,i dont know if you remember back in the earlyish nineties,thunderbirds tracy island was out of stock everywhere at christmas and parents were going crazy paying tons of money for the set,even as a child i wondered why.
No but I know it was the same effect for Tickle Me Elmo for that era.

kids demand to much now days and the pressure isnt fair on parents.
Totally agree.

No but I know it was the same effect for Tickle Me Elmo for that era.

Totally agree.
i have vague memories of the tickle me elmo craze-what year was that?

i was at toys r us yesterday with my sister, my 4 yr old niece,and my parents and you should have seen my niece-picking tons of toys, and she will get tons off my parents and tons of her dads family,they just open them up at christmas,have a quick play and chuck it down- i dread the day the two kids get into computers and demand laptops and PCs,theyve already thrown an ipad down the stairs and smashed the screen like it was a piece of rubbish.

i have vague memories of the tickle me elmo craze-what year was that?
96. I think because it was a big thing in Canada and USA and I guess Thunderbirds Tracy Island was for the UK.

i dread the day the two kids get into computers and demand laptops and PCs,theyve already thrown an ipad down the stairs and smashed the screen like it was a piece of rubbish.
Find kids are more spoiled with electronics these days. Then again, there a larger selection these days than what existed for my generation.

I have no idea why people will over pay for a sold out gift for a person especially for kids? In my point of view, it not showing the child good values as they are going to pick up your habits. Never once when I was a kid I made a fuss to my parents I didn't get the gift I wanted for Christmas. It is not the end of the world yet oddly people don't want to disappoint someone.
I am thinking you are not a parent

New Threads

Top Bottom