• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Other Neurological Disorders? Normal MRI?

OkRad

μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην
V.I.P Member
I find it hard to believe that I can be this messed up and my brain MRI is normal. I mean, I am very glad it is, but if this is neuro, why can't they see it? On paper my brain is great.

However, I do have a host of other troubles like low blood pressure, heart arythmias, cannot recognize peoples' faces or see things in the store (looking for carrots, looking RIGHT AT THEM, asking the clerk where the carrots are!), dizziness, temperature issues, etc but the MRI says I am perfect.

It's just weird to me. Has anyone ever had ANYTHING show up to indicate their autism? How can I have something that does not even exist?

It's all about the current limits of MRI technology. We just can't see the individual brain circuits in enough detail to determine which ones aren't working right. I in the next 10 or 20 years we will have more sensitive techniques but we aren't there yet.

Well what they believe right now is that in autistic people there are more neuron connections that in an allistic person, our brains grow faster and larger and that there is more symmetry in both sides of the brain. There are differences in our brains as a group of people but they are subtle. It's quite amazing that with only subtle differences yet our thoughts and behaviours can be wildly different to allistic people even though there is nothing we do which is strictly unique to us.

okrad, the only indication on testing i ever had towards my autism was a three day inpatient EEG which said i had a abnormal temporal lobe,the part affected is responsible for part of communication/language and sensory stuff,which may have explained why i was non verbal if it really is a view of autism.

ive never had a MRI or similar because i have severe challenging behavior when very anxious and acute sound sensitivity so i cant use the machines, i desperately need a scan of my spine anyway but they wont use midazolam to sedate me as itd require a anaesthetic team to be in there with me,they only offer me 10mg of diazepam which is rubbish because ive been on the stuff daily for many years as PRN medication so it doesnt affect me, i attempted to go to the MRI once on 10mg and i didnt even get out the car,i was smashing my head on the door and kicking the other door,plus growling at my two staff plus the learning [intellectual] disability nurse who supports me in the community.

Temple Grandin has had neuro-imaging done on her brain, and it showed some anomalies, but it's in its infancy; normal MRI scans don't show anything, apparently as the anomalies are too deep-seated. Even then, there's no guarantee that anything will show up as there doesn't seem to be a typical pattern to look out for as yet.

New Threads

Top Bottom