• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

NTs Might Prefer to be a little Autistic

Well the idea has brought up a new question. If using cannabis makes NTs into Autists, what then would using it make people on the spectrum?

View attachment 66710

;)
The original post was not about cannabis turning Neurotypicals into autistic people, I took it to mean they were suggesting that albeit unconsciously, they were trying to recreate an experience similar to autism.
In answer to your second question, I smoked cannabis before I knew I was autistic.
To me, the psychedelic element of it, which a lot of people don’t acknowledge, seems very apparent. I used to trip off weed almost like weak LSD.
I theorise that this is because I am sensitive perceptually and the marijuana on top give me a stronger experience.

Last edited:
I express no opinion about people who smoke pot for whatever reason. I know people who are recreational pot heads, people who use medicinal marijuana for various health reasons, and people who are adamantly opposed to pot use and any effort to legalize it. To each his own.

I personally doesn't need pot to be creative, sensitive, or to achieve any of the other benefits that people attribute to marijuana use. I do note that my autistic sister-in-law used to be a pothead but she quit when she realized that she could not get through the day without getting high, to the detriment of raising and caring for her autistic son.

Getting into arguments about the relative merits and demerits of marijuana use is a dead end which will not be resolved by anyone here. I do think that the original theory posed by the OP, while creative, is wrong. But kuddos to him for posing such a question. It certainly provoked a lot of discussion.

I'll stand by my words that pot made me feel stupid (slower thought processes, impaired memory, impaired mental focus, etc.), lazy (unmotivated), paranoid (you can be paranoid without being psychotic - it's a matter of degree), and hungry (a/k/a the "munchies"). While I'll never know exactly how an autistic brain thinks or feels, I don't think an autistic brain is consistent with an NT's brain while high on pot. Those are two completely different things, IMHO.

But good discussion.....
While I disagree with recreational use of cannabis, I say, legalise it and let people decide for themselves.
I was psychologically addicted to it and couldn’t get through the day without it and now I no longer use it. That is not to say I will never use it again but if I do it will not be recreationally.
The thread has gone off at a tangent.
I think the word paranoid is used loosely. Yes Cannabis made me anxious, made my heart rate increase et cetera but I did not “know for a fact” that people were persecuting me in the same way that I apparently “knew” when I was genuinely paranoid from speed. I never felt like people were persecuting me on cannabis.

Last edited:
This is a forum for autistic people who are different, by their very nature, and for this reason we should be able to express any theories we like. The theory was not posted to entertain it was put out there for discussion.
[Shinji]
We as a system don't understand what you're saying. Host has a migraine at the moment, so they are unable to post long replies.

[Shinji]
We as a system don't understand what you're saying. Host has a migraine at the moment, so they are unable to post long replies.
Hello Shinji
I am sorry to hear host has a migraine, may the pain subside as soon as possible.
I just meant @SimonSays made his original post as a theory. Let me know if you need any more info.

Hello Shinji
I am sorry to hear host has a migraine, may the pain subside as soon as possible.
I just meant @SimonSays made his original post as a theory. Let me know if you need any more info.
[Shinji] Oh thanks, we hope the pain will subside soon as well as this is the third longest migraine she's ever had. If she is able to, she may make her original post on this thread longer, but I am not sure that can happen for a bit.

[Shinji] Oh thanks, we hope the pain will subside soon as well as this is the third longest migraine she's ever had. If she is able to, she may make her original post on this thread longer, but I am not sure that can happen for a bit.
Sorry she is in such pain. May it go away as soon as possible.
There is no rush for her to make the post.

Some NT's would prefer to be autistic. Although weed has nothing to do with it. There's a lot of NT's who self-dx because they wish to be like us.

Some NT's would prefer to be autistic. Although weed has nothing to do with it. There's a lot of NT's who self-dx because they wish to be like us.
Until my diagnosis I thought I was one of these people.
I could not understand why I missed social cues.
I could not understand why vagueness was difficult.
There were a lot of things I could not understand until I came across autism and identified with a lot of the traits.
As for cannabis I mentioned way back in the thread, I used it to handle what I thought were adult tantrums when really they were autistic meltdowns.

lmao at this thread. Some people really want to feel special/need attention, but most of them would rather pretend to be have adhd, anxiety, depression etc. Being socially challenged isn't cool or edgy.
People make fun of autism all the time, they think we are less than them. People use autism as a slur calling things that are bad/suck autistic, even when it doesn't make any sense. No one wants to be like us.

There may be a few who want to be diagnosed with something that explains their difficulties in life and autism comes the closest to what they experience, but thats different from wanting to have autism.
Don't be such a baka Shinji. People self dx with autism because it helps them come up with excuses for bad behavior. I see it a lot online.

lmao at this thread. Some people really want to feel special/need attention, but most of them would rather pretend to be have adhd, anxiety, depression etc. Being socially challenged isn't cool or edgy.
People make fun of autism all the time, they think we are less than them. People use autism as a slur calling things that are bad/suck autistic, even when it doesn't make any sense. No one wants to be like us.

There may be a few who want to be diagnosed with something that explains their difficulties in life and autism comes the closest to what they experience, but thats different from wanting to have autism.
Some of us have heightened senses and are very perceptive.

Some of us have keen instincts, some of us have high creativity and imagination.

@SimonSays was saying, in my opinion, that when NT’s try cannabis, which, in my experience, when not abused, also can heighten the senses and open the mind, they unknowingly seek that experience.

The thread veered towards drug misuse, this is not what the original post was condoning.

Hope that makes sense.

Also notice how i used the word "people" instead of "nt", no one is neurotypical and it's a nonsense term, there is plenty of neurodiversity in the general non autistic population.
Good point.

@Gift2humanity has explained it quite well but still people are missing the main point.
wanting to have autism with a chance of being creative?
The OP is not saying that people want to have autism. It is saying it is an unconscious connection that relates to the sensitivity and creativity and hyper- awareness that autistics have. So, because that state actually produces creativity in some people, I likened it to autism. Does that clarify things? This was just an idea I had.

Good point.

@Gift2humanity has explained it quite well but still people are missing the main point.

The OP is not saying that people want to have autism. It is saying it is an unconscious connection that relates to the sensitivity and creativity and hyper- awareness that autistics have. So, because that state actually produces creativity in some people, I likened it to autism. Does that clarify things? This was just an idea I had.
there are NTs ,it mean the largest percentage neurology worldwide, after that are the neurodiverse which as the last part of the name suggests are diverse in neurologies

Thats like saying there facialtypicals and facialdiverse people, and only categorizing the most beautiful and ugly people as facialdiverse.

The person who original coined the term neorodiversity never meant for it to refer to one (group) conditions only, it simply just refers to the natural variation in neurology, biodiversity isn't about one specific species either. Brains are as unique as fingerprints and faces.
Not to the psychiatric realm

New Threads

Top Bottom