• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not Diagnosed But Pretty Sure - Do I Tell People?

TheBeagle

I'm in grad school. There are about 6 seminar requirements I have to go through.

I'm certain my dad is on the autistic spectrum - he has all the classic symptoms (loooong monologues about his computer interests, no eye contact, constantly getting fired, unintentionally cruel). He's old enough he wouldn't have been diagnosed anyway.

I used to be a certain way as a child - I did not talk to people unless strongly pressed until maybe high school, people made fun of me for the way I dressed (often wrong color combinations), I did not understand jokes, had poor hygiene, and had a lot of awkward moments where I would take things literally. I've always had trouble with the spoken word - it's weird, but it's like my brain cannot understand complex sentences when they are spoken aloud. I've always been good at reading and writing. But it's like I cannot connect my brain and my mouth. I have read that these symptoms are consistent with the way autism spectrum disorders present in women.

Anyway, I keep getting beat up at my seminars by professors for how I answer questions. I can give a reasonable seminar because I practice a lot beforehand. But when they ask me questions, I can tell they want something more from me. It's like they are asking me questions and I answer them, perhaps too literally, but then afterwards my advisor tells me they meant for me to say something else but I couldn't tell at the time! Plus, it really upsets me that they seem to be asking me questions they know are egregiously wrong!

I just failed another seminar because of this. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the fact that I can present as normal in certain limited social situations (in which my committee sees me) is working against me. I spent a lot of time in college reading about, and attempting to implement, the right way to make small talk. I watched hundreds of hours of stand-up comedy because I wanted to learn humor. I forced myself to make eye contact with people because I read it was the normal thing to do.

I'm not even officially diagnosed as a person with an autistic spectrum disorder. But I'm at risk of not getting my degree because of what I suspect is a real and incurable cognitive deficit. Do I let people know this is happening? I think they think I don't know my stuff, or that I'm not working hard enough.

If I were you I might see if I could talk to a counselor or a psychologist about my suspicions. I am generally not an advocate of self-diagnosis, so I would not go around telling people I had Asperger's until it was confirmed by a third party.

Last edited:
These are fair responses. When I spokE to another psychologist, she said she would give me whatever diagnoses I wanted (including depression, anxiety, and autism). This is a problem with the American mental health system. Diagnoses are more continent on one's ends. How do you know?

Diagnoses here are strongly related to what you want to have on your "permanent record" and what you can afford to pay for.

welcome.png

An academic setting is just about the perfect US environment to explore this possibility.

The experts you meet are more likely to be aware and informed. It's cheaper to see therapists and get help. The academic environment will accommodate your needs far more than any other system.

Were it me, I would follow this path, but keep it confidential. It is a medical condition you are getting treated, that's all.

And see where it leads.

I've gotten into the habit of asking my professors and teachers to occasionally rephrase a question, as I can get confused from time to time. I especially have trouble when they're trying to steer me towards a specific thought process. It quickly turns into a guessing game, which is frustrating for both parties, especially when your answers aren't wrong, but not the ones they want.
I'll tell the person asking questions that I am listening and I understand the questions, but that I need the question to be more specific if they want a more specific answer.
When someone gives me instructions I summarize these aloud to make sure I understood correctly.

I don't tell professors I have Aspergers, because I don't want the stigma. I jokingly mention that my thought process and association skills are a little unconventional. If anyone would ask me if I was on the spectrum I would give them an honest response. I'm not ashamed, but I'm wary of prejudice.

It has been my experience that if you tell most people about your AS, they will not or can not understand. Further more, there is no telling what they might think. You are much better off, telling on a need to know basis only.

I can't imagine any educational establishment being willing to accept a self-diagnosed condition but I'm sure they would be willing to help you contact someone about seeing whether you could get a diagnosis on a more formal basis.

If you do get it on a formal basis then they should consider making amendments.

It is pretty tricky and the reason why, is because I am not offically diagnosed either and so, when I do say that I have aspergers, it seems to prompt ones to say: are you official then? Which is really weird, because when I say I have chronic social anxiety, no one questions if I am offically diagnosed and no, I am not.

I find that I cannot lie and say I am; I want to, but I blurt out reluctantly that I am not, however, ones that have no choice but be in my company a lot, do see it clearly in the traits I have and no longer question me.

Just recently, after this woman told me that I am being such a woman, I nearly said: but so are you, but she jumped in and said: I was teasing ( but not in a nasty way). To me, it seemed a pretty irrilevent thing to say to me, which is why I did not see the joke.

Someone once told me: yes, you do talk a lot, but actually I don't mind, because it is interesting what you do talk about lol

I could talk to the "cows come home" about the human body. I am not a dr and could not qualify as one, but I am VERY interested in how our bodies work, in order to take care of the body and I have put some people's backs up and so, try to back away, but hehehehe I seem to have found someone who is willing to listen to me going on and on and on; one of my niece's!

Anyway, if you can get diagnosed, it would be better for you and if you cannot, then take the plunge and say you have aspergers and just deal with it, if it comes out that you are not offical and remind them of the severe difficulties you are experiencing.

New Threads

Top Bottom