• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nice to Meet you :) Merry Christmas

Hello and warm welcome pleasure to meet you. I do hope you will find this place as welcoming as i did and still do. :)

Like you animals is my prime reason to live and i understand them /and they me better & accepting me than humans (since birth). And i had MANY MANY MANY different ones throughout the years in all sizes and SP.

Same as Luca & Susan i have also gotten the precious gift of being able to understand other people's feelings and how to help them. This two " gifts " is actually known traits for many/not all tho of us wimen with ASD. And for me i regard them as the very few "gifts " i have been given from all my gazillion diagnosis.
So nice to meet you ! Thank you for the warm welcome. Sounds like we have an animal loving crew around here !
Animals=unconditional love
Humans= conditional love
That’s how i feel haha

Hi and welcome to the forums.

I see Luca found YOU!
I like animals better than people also.
The results of one of those ink blots tests said that very thing.

Most of us write or talk lengthy. I've had a few tell me I have to go around the
world to explain something. I like things to be factual and explicit.

There are a lot of types of empathy, but the one you're talking about is being able
to know what others are feeling internally whether you sympathize with them or not.
I have a lot of that understanding.
You also mentioned dream traveling. What people call Astral?
That came naturally to me beginning at age 12.
We use the soul as well as the physical body.
I have an interest in the paranormal.

The tone of people's voices affects me also. And just their energy in general.
It is what I feel from the person that decides what I feel towards them.
I think you have found a good place here.

And Merry Christmas from a cold day in Florida.
View attachment 92603
It sounds like we have a lot of common interests! Very cool about astral travelling . I started learning how to control my dreams (lucid dreaming) at age 4 by a psychiatrist due to night terrors. I don’t feel I astral project that often but rather am living other realities .. I’m not sure how to explain this haha . Looking forward to connecting more.
Thanks so much for the warm welcome

Most neurotypical people would call me an Empath. I’m not 100% sure I agree - but I do see overlaps on autism with HSP or Empaths. Do you relate to being an empath or HSP? What are your special interests? Where are you from?
Welcome! I never had thought about this connection of HSP and autism before but it makes so much sense, I consider myself a HSP. Have you ever done the Myers-Briggs personality type test? It helped me a lot in "self-realization" while studying the HSP stuff etc.?

I struggle with multiple choice tests and knowing who I am due to heavy masking, but I believe I am A Mediator (can’t remember the acronym INFP? & I am “the innocent” archetype- this one I relate to very much. I have less knowledge on HSP versus being an Empath. I think they are quite similar (pls correct me if I’m wrong) “The Empaths Survival Guide” was an AMAZING book for me . Do you identify as both HSP and ASD?

I wrote a LONG message pouring out my heart and soul to you guys and it’s lost . :( I was really excited to chat about my current special interest: Autism (lol) to ppl who actually GET IT and understand. Maybe I wasn’t meant to share my dark and twisty past with you all right now.

HI ! I’m from Canada. I love animals (way more than people… I wish I could love a human like I love animals ) i have a FatCat named Tigris. She is a rescue. Like me, her family abandoned her. She is my best friend and keeps me alive.
I adopted three kittens two years ago--we kept the litter together. They were found on a busy 4-lane wide road, near their mamma, and the person who rescued them said she almost wasn't able to catch them all cause the one kept running away. I'm glad she persisted! Olly still would rather run away than be caught. He just wants to be asked instead. They follow me around the house and camp out with me when I sit down. When I go to bed, they go to bed, too. They are, at this moment, all within arm's reach.

Okay, that was just a lead-in to say, I 'get' the time spent learning about autism. Today I spent 2 1/2 hours this morning reading a very excellent blog on one woman's experience being diagnosed with autism and another hour tonight writing out my thoughts in relation to some aspect of it. Yesterday, since I was home alone, I listened to a Ted Talk and several YouTube videos on a channel I frequent. I might spend a lot of time in here, in the Autism Forum, but I spend as much time reading out there, too. So you're in good company.
I also *sort of * have a Siberian Husky. ... His owner actually put in his will that Blue (husky) will go to me should he die.
That is so sweet!
I love to listen to music, be in water ,
I used to love to swim. I had a dream the other night I was swimming laps and woke up feeling more refreshed than I had in days. Made me wish I could afford a pool membership, although I don't like the smell or feel of all the pool chemicals (or how it dries out my hair).
travel in my dreams, play piano (I’m not that good I play by ear and write my own stuff) & write poetry. I love to be alone but would like to learn how to have friends and relationships without relying on alcohol. I’d also like to care about friendships and relationships more. I just dont. I could do life alone and be ok with it. (As long as I have animals) I’m learning about myself now that I know I’ve been a phony anytime I leave the comfort of my own place.. sigh*
One of the things I began learning right away is that we all seem to suffer from being too hard on ourselves. I hope this discovery will bring you self-acceptance and peace.

I had no idea I camoflauged at all until I started learning about autism. What a shock! Did you know, NT's don't mask at all? It is, more than anything else, the singlemost strongest reminder that I am not NT. I might be able to act the part (my Asperger's friend says I camoflauge very well), but I had no idea that coming home and spending two days in bed or quietly alone by myself so that I can go back to work is not the norm. I don't think I see it as being phony. Rather, it is just how I am so that I can get along with and do my job well. I see it more as one person said, like social grease.

Now, I don't know how healthy this viewpoint of mine is. One of the things that led me to continuing learning about autism was the communication aspect because at some point, my ability to communicate well simply breaks down. Social grease or not, when I'm at that point where I'm not responding the way that's expected, that's when the awkward comes out. I can't help it--for the life of me, it happens nearly every day at work. (It happened last most glaring this past Thursday.) That's when whoever I'm talking with--and depending on their disposition towards me--decides whether or not continue the conversation. All this to say, despite however great I may (or may not) be at masking, people still know there's something different about me.

And some people make up their minds faster than others.
Most neurotypical people would call me an Empath. I’m not 100% sure I agree - but I do see overlaps on autism with HSP or Empaths. Do you relate to being an empath or HSP? What are your special interests? Where are you from?
I'm not sure I've run into HSP before. Could you tell me what it is, and why it's different from being an empath?
I’ve been diagnosed by my Doctor and have self diagnosed with COPIOUS Amounts of tests and research (I spend about 4-6 hours a day focusing on autism lol the irony ) but haven’t gotten an “official” assessment yet since it’s super pricey. Finding out I’m autistic has really given me hope. I don’t feel as much like a failure as I did before.
I feel like it's answered a lot of the why to the what for me. It brings me peace and explanation, and --not as an excuse-- really answers for me why other people have always treated me as an outsider.

I'm glad you're finding acceptance in it as well.
Here’s some of my poetry . Hope you like it :) & Merry Christmas

(Nice to meet you)
Nice to meet you, too, and Merry Christmas!

I want to reply to all of this but I haven’t learnt how to reply to sections. I love everything you said. Interesting about NTs not masking. I get it , but it also surprises me since I see women being very fake. This is why I struggle with female relationships because they pretend to like you then talk behind your back - things like this. I guess this is still much different than masking . When I think about my masking I feel like I’ve been fake or an unpaid actress haha but it’s for different reasons and different actions I guess.
Awe your kitties!!!! I love hearing about animals. My cat also goes everywhere with me. I was suicidal a few weeks ago and didn’t go to the hospital because I didn’t want to leave Tigris. I know this isn’t healthy, but she genuinely is my ESA. I don’t know how to sleep without her… the few and far between times I sleep anywhere else, she comes too lol . Your dream sounds awesome - sounds like you have vivid dreams too. I HATE public pools as well! Yuck. And why is there always a hairy dude with a big belly in a Speedo?? I wish I could live somewhere warm by the ocean. I know I’m missing so much of what you said - once I get the hang of this platform I’ll do better in communicating . Thank you for chatting and taking time to respond . You guys are all so amazing . I needed this . I’ve been really isolated . Hope to talk again soon! If you ever want to message me, feel free. Atm , messaging is easier for me to make the conversation more fluid. Because I’m coming out of a dark phase, my brain is only half working . That’s what I’m blaming anyways lol
Hope
You had a good Xmas

You can highlight the specific text and click on the '+quote' dropdown menu for multiquotes

(although I find myself still copying and pasting by hand for some illogical reason)

Do you do this on your phone in the web browser ? Seems so hard ! Lol I used to be more tech savvy idk what happened to me

Oh yeah, good call. I'm on a desktop like a dork and I always assume everyone else is when most people probably don't even own PCs anymore. I honestly don't know if the feature exists on mobile, so disregard that comment. lol

I bet it does. I’ll throw a virtual party once I figure it all out- everyone’s invited :D
It’s way better to be on a computer !!! My wrists are killing me right now haha

I struggle with multiple choice tests and knowing who I am due to heavy masking, but I believe I am A Mediator (can’t remember the acronym INFP? & I am “the innocent” archetype- this one I relate to very much. I have less knowledge on HSP versus being an Empath. I think they are quite similar (pls correct me if I’m wrong) “The Empaths Survival Guide” was an AMAZING book for me . Do you identify as both HSP and ASD?
Yeah I don't know much about the differences of Empath and HSP either, from what I've read they seem pretty similar. I think the high sensitivity (atleast for me) was developed as a child as kind of a survival mechanism, because I had hard time understanding what was going on in social situations and around me so this kind of sensitivity developed from having to be hyper vigilant as a child.

Yeah I identify as both, I am not officially diagnosed by a doctor, but I have done countless test from Embrace Autism and other resources and always scored very high.

I am an INFJ, and I also relate to it very much. :)

Dog V4 says hi!
12 dec Tank baubles - Copy.jpg

Oh yeah, good call. I'm on a desktop like a dork and I always assume everyone else is when most people probably don't even own PCs anymore. I honestly don't know if the feature exists on mobile, so disregard that comment. lol

@Chameleon In Recovery,
It does do all those things on a mobile device, but it is admittedly much more awkward.

As a different kind of dork, I just switched over and started using the forum on a computer instead of my phone. I use the dictation feature quite a lot though.

The experience is far better on a desktop, or even just using landscape mode on a mobile device… Like a tablet. Not really sure if a small phone in landscape would be much better.

I want to reply to all of this but I haven’t learnt how to reply to sections.
I use my phone , on this site usually don’t use my Mac unless recording music .
The quote function works for me as follows

1- To respond I push the reply

2-I scan the paragraph to where I want to reply

3- when I find the spot , I tap after paragraphs last word , and push return , that then breaks apart the paragraph, and keep their section highlighted, and then I can type my reply .

4- And then just use this method all the way down someone’s post .

5- When finished just push reply on bottom right hand corner .

6- you can also edit to tab is on bottom left hand corner .

7- This is how it works on my iPhone , not sure about android, I would suspect it is the same
I love everything you said. Interesting about NTs not masking. I get it , but it also surprises me since I see women being very fake. This is why I struggle with female relationships because they pretend to like you then talk behind your back - things like this. I guess this is still much different than masking . When I think about my masking I feel like I’ve been fake or an unpaid actress haha but it’s for different reasons and different actions I guess.
Awe your kitties!!!! I love hearing about animals. My cat also goes everywhere with me. I was suicidal a few weeks ago and didn’t go to the hospital because I didn’t want to leave Tigris. I know this isn’t healthy, but she genuinely is my ESA. I don’t know how to sleep without her… the few and far between times I sleep anywhere else, she comes too lol . Your dream sounds awesome - sounds like you have vivid dreams too. I HATE public pools as well! Yuck. And why is there always a hairy dude with a big belly in a Speedo?? I wish I could live somewhere warm by the ocean. I know I’m missing so much of what you said - once I get the hang of this platform I’ll do better in communicating . Thank you for chatting and taking time to respond . You guys are all so amazing . I needed this . I’ve been really isolated . Hope to talk again soon! If you ever want to message me, feel free. Atm , messaging is easier for me to make the conversation more fluid. Because I’m coming out of a dark phase, my brain is only half working . That’s what I’m blaming anyways lol
Hope
You had a good Xmas

Thanks. I’ll try this. I do have an iPhone but I am a visual learner so I may have to play around with this. I screenshot the directions you gave me, thanks for that. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom