• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New to forum - Parent of adult asperger's daughter who has been blocked

Diane Stayton

Hello - I'm new to forum. Last Friday I have been blocked on phone/text/Facebook by my 21-yr old college student daughter. She has been threatening this since fall 2014. I could never get her to stop threatening me, and now has has finally followed through.

My daughter has not seen or spoken with her father or his family since June 2013. I never encouraged this behavior towards him and now she's doing it to me.

My family doesn't have any clue how to prevent her from deciding to block the whole family yet don't want to enable her to shut me out. Also, I am paying for her college tuition, phone, medical expenses and other misc. I don't want to do anything to hurt her.

I realize I need patience and not to panic. Does anyone understand what I should do?

@Diane Stayton

Do you and her father live together?
Does she live at home?
[or] When was the last time she resided with you?
Does she live on-campus, in a dorm?
Does she live off-campus?
Does she have a job?
Does she have a boy or girl friend (romantic interest)?

Sorry to sound like a Family Relationship Quiz, :) but
without details I can't make a picture in my head of
what is going on.o_O

Back in 2014, what seemed to be the prompting factor
when she started saying she would block you?

@Diane Stayton

Do you and her father live together?
Does she live at home?
[or] When was the last time she resided with you?
Does she live on-campus, in a dorm?
Does she live off-campus?
Does she have a job?
Does she have a boy or girl friend (romantic interest)?

what is going on.o_O

when she started saying she would block you?
Agree with the Tree, we need more info

Retreating is a common reaction for a lot of Aspies. I'm not saying it's a healthy reaction, but it seems to be a common trait among many of us here. That being said, a little more info would help us understand what might be going on with your daughter.

Agree with the Tree, we need more info
Do you and her father live together? No, we separated in 2012 and divorce finalized in 2014
Does she live at home? She is a full time student at honors college.
[or] When was the last time she resided with you? Summer 2015
Does she live on-campus, in a dorm? Is now a senior, in dorm
Does she live off-campus? At her college, undergrads must live in dorm
Does she have a job? Several part time jobs plus working on grad school applications and her senior thesis and classes.
Does she have a boy or girl friend (romantic interest)? No, just small circle of close friends
what is going on.o_O

when she started saying she would block you? If I mentioned her father or said anything about her cutting him and his family off, she threatened to do the same to me. I was very careful about what I said. Then the threat turned against my new husband - if I mentioned his name or even displayed a picture of him on my phone, she yelled at me and threatened to cut me off. Since then, her complaints have been a variation on this theme (mentioning stepchildren), etc. She really hates the times I get teary or emotional about anything. I try to be considerate of her feelings but I'm not perfect.

What was the reason she blocked you?
Do you and her father live together? No, we separated in 2012 and divorce finalized in 2014
Does she live at home? She is a full time student at honors college.
[or] When was the last time she resided with you? Summer 2015
Does she live on-campus, in a dorm? Is now a senior, in dorm
Does she live off-campus? At her college, undergrads must live in dorm
Does she have a job? Several part time jobs plus working on grad school applications and her senior thesis and classes.
Does she have a boy or girl friend (romantic interest)? No, just small circle of close friends
what is going on.o_O

when she started saying she would block you? If I mentioned her father or said anything about her cutting him and his family off, she threatened to do the same to me. I was very careful about what I said. Then the threat turned against my new husband - if I mentioned his name or even displayed a picture of him on my phone, she yelled at me and threatened to cut me off. Since then, her complaints have been a variation on this theme (mentioning stepchildren), etc. She really hates the times I get teary or emotional about anything. I try to be considerate of her feelings but I'm not perfect.

First of all welcome... : )

This is a total shot in the dark. I have no idea girls spies think different than guy aspies?

But my guess is your ex. husband left first... Maybe he was the cause of the divorce?... You don't have to answer any of this stuff. Its non of my business. This crushed her world or created him as some monster in her life. She blocked him out completely... You get remarried it crushed the rest of everything she knew as normal... Boom mom gets blocked out also.

My next best thing to offer is send her a card by snail mail... Ask her what you can do to let her know you love her. Within reason of course... Ask her what does she need to know and understand that things are still okay? You may have to root for your ex here as well... If this is what happened. She lost unity...

I may be so far off base, that its not funny... but she may just want you and her dad back together...
I know thats prolly not gonna happen, but she may need some form of new foundation built back under her life that crumbled. It will take some time. I don't know her temperament or any other issues... My guess is she is just hurt... deep.

Like I said, just an absolute wild guess. I'm a guy from a ripped apart violent family. Its just some of the stuff I felt. I didn't block people... I went silent for a very long time. I still don't talk much, but I think she is sending more of a message than she's just pissed. She's hurt and thats not easy.

Then again she may be some drama queen who feeds off this stuff... If so, I have nothing. I don't do drama.

Best wishes to you... : )

Last edited:
Senior year can be rough. It's when you take the hardest classes and have to figure out what to do after graduation. Her current stress levels and impending change are likely influencing her actions. Instead of giving any energy to something she dislikes, your daughter may be throwing 100% of her effort into what she feels like she can control. If that is the case then her retreating from you would be a defense mechanism. Sadly, I do not have any potential solutions. I'm much better at analyzation than solving problems.

I'm in my 40s, aspie and didn't talk to my mother (or family) for the whole of my twenties. We are still distant.

It doesn't have to be like this And in retrospect, I wish there was a forum like this where I could have worked it through.

So good for you, realizing it is happening and looking for solutions, most commendable.

Now, my slant on this, is not something you are going to want to hear and like most neurotypical parents, you'll probably deny that this is the case, which is fine.

So here goes. The language you use tells me all I need to know.

I could never get her to

My family doesn't have any clue how to prevent her

This is exactly why I cut ties with my family. Aspies and auties are apart, independent, need space, process a lot of data. Just using innocent phrases like "get her to" and "prevent her" will drive her away.

You think that the problem is that she blocked you. It is not. The problem is that she has been threatening to do it for years. Which means whatever you are doing, "advising her" or "passive expectations" or just a lot of change has been driving her away for years.

The fact that she threatened it means that she didn't want to do it. And the fact that you have even considered withdrawing her tuition fees feeds in. You are still trying to control her. Even if it is in small ways, like getting a reaction from her.

Yes, you will say that this is not the case. Yes you will say that you have always been understanding. Yes, you will say that you have given her every freedom she could possibly want. But clearly it is the case whether you accept it or not. You have expectations as to how she should behave, you are considering controlling her with money.

You are probably doing this is a really really nice way and are doing it for her own good. But this technique is driving her away. If you withdraw money, she will find another way and disappear.

The stepfather thing and college and separation have probably given her sensory overload. She is withdrawing and shutting down. As per @Chance, do that, send letters, be there for her, visit when she wants you to. Stop with the expectations. If she doesn't want to talk to ANYONE then accept that. Let her. Listen to her.

So sorry if this is hard to hear and I really hope you can patch things up. Xx

Last edited:
All of the answers posted are hitting on truths that are hard. I have to hide in my hole for awhile. Also it didn't help that my brother, who is diagnosed as schizophrenic, has been attacking me and elder-abusing our parents this week. Between all of this I feel like swallowing a bottle of poison. (I won't, because suicide is not an option.)

All of the answers posted are hitting on truths that are hard. I have to hide in my hole for awhile. Also it didn't help that my brother, who is diagnosed as schizophrenic, has been attacking me and elder-abusing our parents this week. Between all of this I feel like swallowing a bottle of poison. (I won't, because suicide is not an option.)

It will get better... Its just ebb and flow. Never give up, there is too much life we are supposed to live... : )

I don't have any advice directly related to your problem that hasn't already been said above given the information you've provided.

I appreciate that you're here trying to learn about what you can do. I wish I could help more and I'm sure that I'm not alone in this - most of us have suffered from a lack of support at some point and it's a privilege to be able to help a family member who actually wants to acknowledge your daughter's autism and help her. Indirectly we are thus able to help each other and you have brought us this opportunity.

Thank you, don't be shy.

You are in the middle of a human storm, you are getting it from all sides. But yet here you are, reaching out and trying to understand aspergers for your daughters sake. You have a strength within you that will help you weather the storm and it will pass. You will be better for it. We are never given anything that we cannot handle.

So let it sink in, let the winds calm and reach out with any questions that you have about us and our delightful peculiarities :)

Hello - I'm new to forum. Last Friday I have been blocked on phone/text/Facebook by my 21-yr old college student daughter. She has been threatening this since fall 2014. I could never get her to stop threatening me, and now has has finally followed through.

My daughter has not seen or spoken with her father or his family since June 2013. I never encouraged this behavior towards him and now she's doing it to me.

My family doesn't have any clue how to prevent her from deciding to block the whole family yet don't want to enable her to shut me out. Also, I am paying for her college tuition, phone, medical expenses and other misc. I don't want to do anything to hurt her.

I realize I need patience and not to panic. Does anyone understand what I should do?

As previously mentioned, you do have some control issues, which would drive me away and did, from my parents. I loved them and still do, although my Dad died last year and my mom has Alzheimers.

Perhaps if you learn to stop with your control issues, your daughter will relent and be more of a part of your life. I am going to go look on the internet for something that might help you work on your control issues, if you want to.

This explains things a little: The Need for a Sense of Control

Controlling Your Inner Control Freak: The Art of Inefficiency

Last edited:
I do feel for all of your situations, and not only for your daughter, based on the information expressed so far. I realize there are usually two sides to every story, too. Other questions I ask could help me learn more, too, so until I have those answers I will try to be balanced in my response regarding as each entity could have merit in their beliefs, claims, behaviors or attitude, or as each could be contributing to the distance between the daughter and the family.

First, it is not talked about on this forum much, but being a parent of a child with any condition can be a lot harder than persons imagine, as we have extra responsibilities that most parents do not have, and we often have to parent in ways that is far different and more than we ever imagined, and to change ourselves or our doings in many ways in order to create a more healthy and peaceful environment, to not involve much stress and conflict.

In many cases, it is almost impossible for parents to figure out if certain signs or symptoms of Autism for instance are part of the condition, and thus cannot or should not be changed, versus what traits are because of ineffective parenting and need to be tackled. Many parents of Autistic children are often confused what is the right or more proper thing to do. Society will critique them for whatever they do, and for those truly caring special needs parents, they often get little support for all their daily efforts.

In general, we as parents try to think of our children as typical children in "some" ways, so as to not lower our teaching efforts or change our parental method, but we see them with more needs and more unique abilities and interests that we will tend to too. So, although we parent our children in certain ways as we would parent a typical child, like in not being too lenient or overbearing and being consistent, fair, loving and constructive, we realize they have extra issues, and we provide those, and we accept and appreciate their special differences.

What is hard to know how to reply about your situation is although everyone who replied in this thread made much sense in their replies, there are important things I would want to know first like: What caused the marital breakup? How did the daughter treat you both before that, and how did you both treat the daughter prior to the breakup? Did she ever tell you she wanted the marriage to not dissolve? What were the daughters Aspergers signs and symptoms like?

Society should be aware, that those on the Spectrum can have different personalities, separate from their conditions. I feel they are no more or less prone to being overly nice, spoiled, or having more neutral personalities than NTs, as personalities are developed not just from genetics, but from environmental conditioning as well. So, it could be unfair to generalize that the Autistic daughter was either being wronged by any family member, or is being selfish, without knowing more.

Although it is possible that the daughter could have felt justifiably upset by one or both parents, and so then the divorce and aftermath caused things to spiral out of control, we cannot assume that the Autistic daughter had realistic expectations. Everyone in this life deserves to be happy, and to not change much who they are, and with reasonable expectations not to be abandoned by a daughter if there was much love and efforts shown all those years, and in absence of any abuse.

If the marriage was making either spouse miserable, or the divorce was needed to lessen any severe anxiety in the household, the daughter needs to accept that as well. The mother has a right to feel emotion and show emotion, and the father has a right to not be a part of a marriage that is making him unhappy, too, just as the Autistic child has a right not express like NTs. But, shutting someone completely out of ones life, yet her accepting the mother's money seems a bit contradictory?

Is that because of selfishness and lack of empathy coming from the daughter, or did the daughter feel like that is how love was shown more growing up by giving in those monetary ways? And so the emotional distance between you all now? But, I balance that with the fact the daughter seems to be pretty functional despite her condition, and so one or both parents had to do something right all those years, as many with Aspergers could be even less successful and independent.

I realize many with Aspergers are less comfortable with either expressing or feeling emotional closeness, and need space, and they can be more sensitive or needing things more precisely, so if either parent showed or are showing too much of any emotion, or wants things their own certain ways, this may not help. It is unfair in ways, as I said, as we cannot assume the supposed NT can change the fabric of their being, either, and especially if the expectations of the one running away seem unrealistic.

So, I have no way of knowing if this is an Aspie situation causing the distance between the daughter and the family, or from environmental conditioning or just selfishness on her part, or past abuse of any kind. Without having more answers, my recommendation is, if you are able to pay for the rest of those expenses, until she graduates and secures employment, then do so, but with her feeling no strings attached from you. Then once she gets a job, cut the finances off to her, wish her well, and tell her you will be there for her should she want to see you as a friend, as once she left home she should be making the decisions and the parental type relationship expectation with the daughter should be strongly lessened.

She will likely come to you, if she wants to contact you or needs you, but again my best advice from the amount of information I know so far, is after she gets a job, if she still no longer wants you in your life in any way, assuming you do not make her feel guilty anymore for shutting you all out until she gets that job, and after she knows you still care and will let her from now on initiate contacts, only then consider ending financial ties to her, as she cannot have it both ways. In life she cannot expect to keep getting from one, but not giving.

As a parent, we are saving up for our children's possible future college education, and their medical expenses will be covered until any long term job, but if they can work one day and be independent, we hope they would consider being our "friend" and still open to us, if we could not help them financially after that. We would not push them, but just be there for them upon any other non-monetary need. If however, they need us because of being less able to be independent, we will be there for them in all ways.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom