• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

need advice regarding meltdowns

sconesail

Hi All,

My roommate has Aspergers. She is one of my best friends and helps a great deal. (I have a fainting disorder and severe migraines.) I can't drive, but she can- so we compliment each other fairly well.

Anyway, here is my question. Both of us have been having a rough time lately due to various things. When she gets upset, she pretty much goes into a full meltdown. (mostly she gets upset, cries, and gets very depressed.) I can usually talk her through them, but in recent weeks it is harder to do that. What should I do? Wait for her to calm down, then talk. should I tell her I'm worried and tired? Anyway, I'd really appreciate some advice.

thanks,
sconesail

It could be the fact that she may just be overwhelmed about something or of course, or it could be one of those I want to feel like a somebody, but I can't of course be making any assumptions that would most certainly the case?

You could well wait until she calms down then tell her. But to tell her your worried about her, that would be much appreciated.

Hi scone,
Has she been aware of her condition long and if so has she been getting any professional support. The sense of isolation, for someone suffering from AS, can be horrific. Im going to stop short of offering to much, as the effects of AS, on females, is a little different. Perhaps tell her how youve been to this site, in hope of supporting her. See if you can persuade to join the site and correspond with some of the many AS women here. They are truely insightful, knowledgeable and caring people who might be able to put some perspective, on how she is feeling. When your suffering from AS, its important to know, your not on your own. I hope thishelps.
Cheers
Turk

Last edited:
First of all its great that she has you in her life and that you have been willing to help her through that. Meltdowns tend to happen when we get overwhelmed in some way sometimes it is caused by stress, change in routine, a combination of things, or sensory overload. I tend to be like your friend. I freak out start crying hysterically stomp my feet and then feel terrible afterwards. Usually in a meltdown we aren't capable of really understanding you talking to us until we calm down. So wait to talk to her after it happens. Let her know that you care and are worried about her but that you don't really know what to do for her. Maybe ask her what you can do when that happens. I know for me its either leave me alone until its over or depending on where i am holding me so tight that I can't move helps too.

First of all its great that she has you in her life and that you have been willing to help her through that. Meltdowns tend to happen when we get overwhelmed in some way sometimes it is caused by stress, change in routine, a combination of things, or sensory overload. I tend to be like your friend. I freak out start crying hysterically stomp my feet and then feel terrible afterwards. Usually in a meltdown we aren't capable of really understanding you talking to us until we calm down. So wait to talk to her after it happens. Let her know that you care and are worried about her but that you don't really know what to do for her. Maybe ask her what you can do when that happens. I know for me its either leave me alone until its over or depending on where i am holding me so tight that I can't move helps too.
Well said Arashi222! It is also exhausting after a meltdown (male or female) and I know I used to feel depressed and fall asleep (before I knew what the problem was). Definitely wait to a more calm moment sconesail, and be sure to tell her that you worry about her. Especially since you are going through a hard time as well. Since us aspies are not good at reading people, your hard time could be interpreted as her thinking you don't care. Wish you the best of luck!

Hi,

That's just like Arashi said, when I meltdown things are horrible, I tend to listen to songs that I like (specially some very heavy songs, that makes me feel better), but after it happened I feel bad with myself, for letting it happen. Anyway, this is just me. I think you should wait for her to get more calm and then talk to her, this depression thing may be caused because of the whole meltdown episode. I believe you should tell her you're worried with her, I've only faced a meltdown a few times in my life, I've learned how to control it better, to let things go out before it can really happen. I mean, gradually going out, I play guitar a lot because of it, the music helps me to get better.

Try convincing her in letting things go out from time to time, don't let her keep everything to herself, it will only make easier to a meltdown to occur, so to prevent it, she needs someway to relief some kind of stress for example. One of my psychologists recommend me doing some kind of martial art, as it would help relieving my stress, without me going insane. Other thing I already used was sports, I used of swimming. In the beginning of 2013 I had a meltdown, guess what, I wasn't playing guitar, I wasn't swimming, for more I didn't really feel, all my stress was accumulating and then it happened... Well... Hope this helps you to have an idea ;).

~Lord

Let her cry. Put yourself in her situation. Sometimes crying is required. But don't let her be alone. Do what you would want her to do. Bring in her favourite movies, favourite foods, some tea or cocoa, and just be with her.

It's probably wise to not pile more sensory impressions on her while she's already overwhelmed by those she already has. After that… Talk to her about coping techniques, maybe? I count my heartbeats – because I alway rock in time with my heart, and since I discovered that I have been trying to pay attention. Maybe some other kind of meditation or mindfulness program for her?

Oh, and Bach or Vivaldi tend to help. A lot.

Every Aspie I imagine deals with stress differently. I've learned that sometimes prevention is just as important than knowing how to calm down.

Being highly attuned to our senses, it's good to recognise what sets off our stress, and what makes us happy. I myself try to compliment as many senses as possible, for maximum comfort, which is more likely to prevent a meltdown in the first place. Of course you can't have these creature comforts 24/7, and meltdowns will still happen, but it can greatly reduce them.

Here's some examples for myself. You can try some of these if you want, or just test different things out, and maybe start a 'meltdown' list; maybe even have a 'cool down' room, or space, for you to relax. Do these things daily, weekly, whatever, to keep the stress down:

Taste
Comfort food can help a great deal. Be careful of course not to indulge too much, as to affect your health in a bad way. I like to have roast meats, mash, salmon, Oreos, or make a chocolate mousse (I have a healthy version recipe if you want).

Smell
Find out what smells comfort you, and make them accessible. You can use candles, incense, perfumes, soaps, whatever works for you. My favourite comfort smells include vanilla (of course), oranges, rock melon/ cantaloupe, and lemon.

Sound
Sounds depend on how we feel; compliment your current mood, and try to avoid music that is sad or angry, unless it's all you can stand to listen to at the time. I like soundtrack music, as it allows you to clear your mind, rather than concentrating on lyrics. I have a few suggestions for soundtrack music if you're interested. I also like the sound of rain: www.rainymood.com. Sometimes silence really is golden though, so if all else fails, try that.

Touch
Generally soft fabrics are my go to here. Bed sheets, cosy blankets, pillows. If you like water, maybe a long shower/ bath/ swim, or if you have a pet, try simply petting it; it's very therapeutic.

Sight
Being surrounded by beauty can soften our hearts. I like to collect art works online, from various sources, and simply place them all in one folder, to peruse when I'm in the mood. This can not only calm us, but inspire us too.

Health
Although this can contradict 'Taste' sometimes, learning to balance both is important. Any good health expert, nutritionist, or doctor, will tell you that eating well, and exercise, will effect your mood. I hate being told this myself, as I hate gyms, but have found a healthy diet, and exercise routine that works for me. This helped me much more than I initially gave it credit.

Purpose
As others have mentioned already, a sense of purpose can help avoid the meltdowns. While it may not be possible to fix this overnight, working towards bettering ourselves will give us a sense of purpose. It can be as large as figuring out what to do with ourselves in our careers, relationships, etc., or as simple as learning something new; like cooking, or playing an instrument, or a new language, learning to dance, whatever tickles you fancy. Setting short term and long term goals can help, and don't just make one, make a few. Writing lists can help with goals, and the act of writing a list itself is therapeutic.

Vent
Although avoiding meltdowns is the desired effect, venting is important too, as it releases stress. Sometimes a small cry is better than a full blown meltdown. Talking about our issues, even if they may seem unimportant, can release much tension. Talk vent, cry, let it all out. This can also be done through exercise, or even simply leaving the room. You'll be surprised how therapeutic it can be to walk outside, or to a park, or go for a drive. The drive is one of my favourites, as it seems to work the best. If you can't drive, or don't feel up to it, take a bus/ ferry/ bike ride, whatever. Being creative is a form of venting too. Draw, paint, write; doesn't matter if you don't have the talent, just do it to feel good. Even if it's as simple as finger painting, scrap booking, taking photos, or paper mâché.

Hope some of that is useful. Look after yourselves :)

I'm a female aspie with syncope too. Minus the meditation and mindful comment above I think all the rest is very good. And if your not on the spectrum I could also see why relating would be very hard for you if not impossible in some cases. But, besides that, if you both or atleast she has decent health coverage/ can afford it, if she hasn't had much really good CBT training given buy the right therapist or counselor. She seriously sounds like she needs it. It is crucial for all Aspies. And is my number one recommendation outside of certain books/ groups to join. I'm a disabilities advocate. A key detail however is getting a therapist or counselor who works really well with your roommate and knows a lot about how aspie minds differ. Or at least one who is very trainable. If she needs training resources she or you can pm on here for that. NT's ( Off the autism spectrum ) can get this too. However, it's particularly key for an aspie due to the very different brain structure and use that we have. CBT stands for cognitive behavioral therapy and if well received and executed properly over long enough periods of time, it teaches us to think like a healthy NT more and not just like a unique aspie.

New Threads

Top Bottom