• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My (somewhat creepy) obsession with weapons

Andrew Campbell

If the title hasn't scared you away yet, let me explain. I'm not obsessed with using weapons to hurt. I Just like them, mainly in two categories:

1) Knives, swords, etc.
Collectively labeled "Sharp Objects" by me, this comprises anything with a blade, from a small exacto knife to a full length sword. I have a small collection, which I'm hoping to grow.

2) Guns and airguns
I really like these. I have a particularly soft spot for precision Olympic-style airguns and .22 guns. I currently own several airguns, used to own a couple guns.

Questions, comments, feel free.

I see nothing wrong with your hobby provided the weapons are properly stored and locked away out of the reach of children (assuming you're in contact with any).

Don't worry. They are. I'm not around kids much, so it's not really an issue. And most people just find it...unsettling haha.

I can't say I'm interested in weapons, but if other people like them, that's fine. I don't care as long as they're used and stored responsibly. That really should be common sense, but I have learned that it's not.

I have an interest in weapons, just no collection, heh.

Laws over here somewhat prevent owning weapons (even if they're stored away). Guns are under strict control here, and swords, and any other weapon, while you can have them... I always had this impression that it's of no use to just have them around, stored somewhere. If I own things I need to have a use for it. And since I don't see a need to use a weapon, it somewhat fails to fit within my "collection criteria" I guess.

My interest in general however tends to be more along the lines of medieval weapons and such. Axes, warhammers, maces and stuff like that. It's not a major obsession as such either. If I run into a documentary or articles about it I'll spend time to watch/read it... I guess it falls perfectly in line with my reason why I don't own any. I'm fine looking at pictures in books, and if it arises, on display in a museum.

How I wish the U.S. were as sensible regarding guns . . . but I won't start a debate about that issue---not in this thread, anyway.

My 8-year-old son is obsessed with airplane crashes, car crashes, train crashes, maritime disasters, and so on. He has been since he was 3 years old. Some people find that creepy.

I used to have a bit of an obsession with guns, I had a bunch of them. When they changed the gun laws in Australia I sold them. I figure that the reduction in gun deaths, murders and massacres is worth the loss in freedom.

How I wish the U.S. were as sensible regarding guns . . . but I won't start a debate about that issue---not in this thread, anyway.

Then I will.

Proper statistical analysis has proven that gun-control laws, just like drug laws and abstinence-only education, have the opposite of their intended effect. This is not a debate with public safety on one side and my right to bear arms on another; it's a debate with both public safety AND the right to bear arms on one side, and absolutely nothing but fear and lies on the other. The USA has some of the best gun policies in the world.

I wasn't going to start this here, but since the door's been opened . . .

The ones spreading the fear and lies are the people who assume that stricter gun control laws will lead to everyone's guns being taken away. That's not going to happen.

Some of the best gun policies in the world, you say? My God. Do you not realize what's happened recently in, say, Florida?

I'm leaving this thread now before I get upset. I suggest making a separate thread about this topic if you'd like to talk about it. (Mods, everyone, I apologize for derailing the discussion.)

I learned* how to do German long sword for a month and it was so fun. I stopped doing it as I worked on the Monday (I have to get up around 4am) and I get really nervous going to places. :( I know I sucked at it but I also know if I kept at it I'd be doing really well right now. Gah.

* is it learnt or learned? I struggle with spelling that word.

New Threads

Top Bottom