• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"My Little Bronies"

IContainMultitudes

V.I.P Member
Anyone here watch the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic ? It seems to have a rather enthusiastic following. I watched a few minutes of it once just to see what all the fuss is about, and...I didn't get it. :mask: (I'm a little too busy watching anime on Netflix Instant anyway.)

My Little Pony Corrals Unlikely Fanboys Known as ?Bronies? | Underwire | Wired.com

I came across this on the animation blog Cartoon Brew, and I have to admit that it made me cringe a little bit, especially when I noticed that it had gotten over a hundred comments (for what it's worth, the guy who wrote this blog entry denies in the comments that he was trying to make fun of aspies):

My Little Bronies | Cartoon Brew: Leading the Animation Conversation

?As a person with Asperger syndrome, I learned more about theory of mind, friendships and social interactions from this season [of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic] than I had in the previous 31 years of life.?

That?s a quote from this article about the popularity of the Hub?s My Little Pony series with adult men, who call themselves ?Bronies.? And no, it?s not an article from The Onion.

I am a little annoyed that the Cartoon Brew blog writer left off this part of the above quote (including it might have made this blog entry come across as a little less "Developmentally delayed adults enjoy childrens' cartoons made for girls! Haw haw!" whether that was the intention or not):

?This weird alchemy that Lauren Faust tapped into when she set out to make the show accessible to kids and their parents hooks into the male geek?s reptilian hindbrain and removes a lifetime?s behavioral indoctrination against pink,? said New Mexico brony Allen.

All kidding aside, anyone here think that this show actually could be an effective tool for teaching people on the spectrum about theory of mind, friendships and social interactions?

I came across a quote in the comments (brace yourself if you decide to scroll through them) for the Wired article that I liked:

?When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been
ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them
openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the
fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.? -C.S. Lewis

Last edited:
Just as a little aside, this would make more sense to me as an obsession for aspie-ish 20-30 something males (maybe that's just because I haven't let the magic of pony power into my heart yet):

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't underestimate the Ponies.

tumblr_lqp4ypoa6E1r2rvtco1_1280.jpg

:no:
;)

New Threads

Top Bottom