• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My 21years HFA daughter needs advice .

coloncolonjcolon

Hi! I'm the father of a HFA daughter that was diagnosed at the age of 17. When I knew the diagnostic I started to educate myself about the condition and started to try to educate her but it has been impossible. She don't want to hear the word autism and she always ignore me. I think she has lost those years and I know that been ignorant won't help her. This is a great forum with great people. I just want that you give her directly any advice that can help her to be self aware about her condition and that she is not alone. Thanks. ( her name is Solange)

Don't shove anything on her, but I would say that you should tell her about this community. Tell her that she will make great friends and find that the conversations are very interesting. Maybe even tell her that she might be able to comment with some positive Aspies and others who have similar experiences to her. Maybe you should hang low a little bit. The last thing you want is an angry daughter. I know this from personal experience. My parents have shut me down to any kind of conversation about Autism because they don't agree with me on things. I have been diagnosed since I was around 14 or 15 years old. It has been a struggle. She may be hurting inside and is afraid to tell you that. Just a thought. Give it a try.

Hi! I'm the father of a HFA daughter that was diagnosed at the age of 17. When I knew the diagnostic I started to educate myself about the condition and started to try to educate her but it has been impossible. She don't want to hear the word autism and she always ignore me.

It sounds like she is in denial.

I'm sorry for that but agree with Mywaysignging. You shouldn't force her.

Is she receiving treatment? Perhaps her therapist could help her to be more accepting of her condition.

It's not a bad thing, really. At least I don't think so. I'm clearly more focused than many neurotypicals (provided the topic in question aligns with my interests). I am quite logical and do not seem to be encumbered with the messy emotions that so many NTs seem to have. Although I am socially awkward, I'm also a reclusive introvert, so not having many friends doesn't bother me at all. If nothing else, I am quite relieved to not have many friends because keeping track of all of them would be exhausting.

Last edited:
I think that the hard part about receiving a diagnosis at 17 is that when you feel different from other teens, it is hard when someone confirms that difference. The last thing a teenager wants to do is admit that she'll never be everyone else's version of "normal". It's just really hard being the "oddball".

I think the best thing you can do is to be open to her questions and thoughts. Be honest about what you observe, but don't push her to accept a diagnosis before she's had a chance to test her own limits. Saying things like, "I think you may be taking on too much right now, it's okay to step back and reconsider if things are too stressful" or "I think you may be missing something important your friend is trying to communicate" are ways to acknowledge some Aspie tendencies without always pathologizing them, or emphasizing her difference.

With experience, she may realize that her needs are different from others, and if you have offered her an open dialog without injecting your preconceptions, she may indeed acknowledge if the diagnosis fits. But at 17, she is still discovering her own identity, and it's natural not to want to impose what she may perceive as limitations on that identity.

I understand your concern, though. I was without a diagnosis until age 34; until that time I struggled with jobs, college, relationships, and family, for reasons that have only now become clear to me. I wish that I had known about my condition much earlier. But by the same token, it was those struggles that helped me to realize and acknowledge my diagnosis. I don't know whether I would have "bought" it at 17. But if I had known something about ASD, I might have come to accept my differences sooner and may have felt empowered by that knowledge, rather than hindered.

The upshot is, that for a diagnosis to be helpful, she has to be open to it, and ready for it. Most of us who received a late diagnosis, on first hearing our diagnosis, for a period feel both anger and denial. Later this denial may become self-doubt. It's the result of having so many questions that had gone unanswered or unexplained for so long.

She would be very welcome here, but she will only feel welcome if she feels like she has a reason to be here, so for now, your presence here will benefit her indirectly, as you learn ways to engage with her and support her as she tries to find her way in life. She is fortunate to have a father who cares so deeply.

Amen. I agree. Don't stop trying to communicate with her. Keep encouraging her to continue on the right path and stay positive about everything. That would be the first steps I would say.

I agree with others that you shouldn't try to push the information on to her. Being 17 is hard enough and now another label being placed on her. With time she will come around and start to learn about being on the spectrum. I went through the same denial period. Maybe leave a book about HFA that she could pick up and read when nobody is around.

If she's in denial and isn't ready to accept the diagnosis, then there's nothing you can do but just support her. She has to want to look into it herself, or else all of this discussing it with her is pointless and will just drive her away. Support her and love her as she is. Help her with whatever autism related issues come up as needed without mentioning or implying its autism related - i'd advise just handling it like just another problem you as a loving helpful parent want to help out with. That's what my parents have done. We rarely ever use the word autism, its just accepted that i have it, and they make adjustments in how they do things with/around me, quietly, as needed. Granted i'm also accepting of me and my family's self-diagnosis, but even so we rarely have the need to use the word autism. Its just a word, a label, a diagnosis that explains and summarizes all the random little issues i have - fine motor control, communication, sensory issues (sound, food texture), etc. She might not need to accept she has something as big and life changing as autism to accept that she has issues in a particular area and would like to improve in it.

I do wonder though, is she thinking that autism is synonymous with 'stupid' or 'mentally retarded' or something to that affect? I know i did at first. I swung back and forth between wanting to know as much as possible and being in complete and total denial for a good while. I'd guestimate for about six months but i honestly don't know how long it was.

Last edited:
I think for me at least, not knowing about aspergers or HFA until I was in my 30's. I'd suggest treating her normally, there's a power in having your family support you for who you are. Use her diagnosis as a tool for yourself to better understand your daughter. No one really wants to be labeled especially if they perceive that label negatively. Maybe start thinking of it as your daughter speaks a different language and you've been given the book to translate.

Asperger Syndrome and HFA have their own language anyway. We present ourselves differently than others and so think we are crazy. But in reality we just have a different language and way of doing things. Spending time with her will help you learn this language and way of doing things. I know the more you spend time with someone the better you get to know them. How much time do you spend one on one with her?

I spend or try to spend a lot of time with her, but the communication is almost impossible. I ask her any question to try to start a small talk, and what she do is look at me and ask me why I'm asking that question, no matter what question is. I don't know is being oppositional is one of the autism traits, because she always will said no to anything I said or suggest.

One thing I hate for sure is small talk. I like talk to be productive. Maybe that is what she is thinking. Sometimes I am like that and my parents don't always understand why I am like that, but it is ok for you at this point to not understand everything. Just love her for who she is. Not for who she is not.

One thing I hate for sure is small talk. I like talk to be productive. Maybe that is what she is thinking. Sometimes I am like that and my parents don't always understand why I am like that, but it is ok for you at this point to not understand everything. Just love her for who she is. Not for who she is not.

That is a very good advice. "Love her for who she is and not for who she is not. Thanks.

Maybe leave a book about HFA that she could pick up and read when nobody is around.
This is what I was going to suggest too - a book which emphasises the positive aspects and not just the negative. A really helpful book is Appreciating Asperger Syndrome by Brenda Boyd.

You will probably find that she becomes more accepting of it and open to talk about it as she gets older.

If I find any more information, then I will be sure to post it for you.

I was very sensitive to the label and I guess you could say in denial for some years, I think it took me longer to mature and want the things that all adults want. I've change a lot over the last couple years. For Solange, she has to want to change and get better for it to have any chance of happening otherwise you're just trying to train a cat. It only gets harder as you get older, 21 is young but its already older than a lot of the autism services commonly available. I'm 24 and there really isn't much out there. It makes me sad, I wish I did a lot of things years ago.

Defiance was definitely part of it for me, I don't know how you change that. I was diagnosed at 15 or so and I was angry at a whole bunch of things especially my family so why I want to do well by them? Obviously, in hindsight I can see how stupid that line of thinking was.

I was very sensitive to the label and I guess you could say in denial for some years, I think it took me longer to mature and want the things that all adults want. I've change a lot over the last couple years. For Solange, she has to want to change and get better for it to have any chance of happening otherwise you're just trying to train a cat. It only gets harder as you get older, 21 is young but its already older than a lot of the autism services commonly available. I'm 24 and there really isn't much out there. It makes me sad, I wish I did a lot of things years ago.

Defiance was definitely part of it for me, I don't know how you change that. I was diagnosed at 15 or so and I was angry at a whole bunch of things especially my family so why I want to do well by them? Obviously, in hindsight I can see how stupid that line of thinking was.
Thanks for your comment Jacoby.

New Threads

Top Bottom